Herr Hansa

View Herr Hansa's Comments BY TICKER:
  • BlackBerry: Shut It Down [View article]
    wiesje, he was talking about selling my shares. Can I take a deduction on my taxes when I don't sell my shares, but the share price is down from where I bought them?
    Jul 27, 2013. 03:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Shut It Down [View article]
    The problem Cliff is those types of comments are a pattern that continues to exist, and not just for shares in BBRY. This goes back to the day-trading days, before the elimination of the up-tick rule ushered in high frequency trading. Now somewhat lower volume options play are where these individuals go to play, at least until the program trading becomes more prevalent in options. In the past it would be chat rooms and message boards; now it is forums in various places.

Those posting negative comments do so to reinforce their decisions on options plays, or they do so in an attempt to talk up the value of their options position. Some hope to unload a position at a profit to the next greater fool (greater fool theory applies here, as it did in housing speculation), prior to expiration. They see no need to qualify their statements, since they are just opinions meant to appear authoritative to someone (perhaps the greater fool).

There are a small subset of those posting negative comments, who lost money on a previous investment in BBRY. Those individuals have a (negative) emotional attachment to seeing BBRY fail. They will only be happy when the company disappears.

Keep in mind that the average independent self-managed investor holds for far less than a year, on just about any investment. It is not easy for many of them to consider a much longer term for an investment. Those may appear in comments due to disappointment.
    Jul 26, 2013. 09:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Liquefied natural gas shipper Golar LNG (GLNG +4.6%) powered higher following earlier news that it secured $1.125B in financing for the first eight of 13 planned newbuild vessels and FSRUs. In anticipation of the financing, GLNG had entered into interest rate swaps to hedge much of the loan so that the all-in interest cost for the initial seven years of the facility will be ~3.74%. [View news story]
    Still steaming along towards greater profits in the future. Should be some nice dividends along the way.
    Jul 26, 2013. 08:58 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Shut It Down [View article]
    You say it aloud to reinforce your decision to have a short position. Fairly obvious. Enjoy your weekend.
    Jul 26, 2013. 08:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Shut It Down [View article]
    Oh, so you have options at the 8.00 strike?

If you are so massively confident it is going to decline even more, then why not try the 3.00 strike?
    Jul 26, 2013. 08:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Shut It Down [View article]
    Yes, Mr. Knowitall, if I do not sell, then I don't lose any money. In fact the tax statement from my broker would not show a loss, if I did not sell. I cannot claim a taxable loss on a decline in the paper value of shares. Why is that so tough for you to understand?
    Jul 26, 2013. 08:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Shut It Down [View article]
    Dantes, I'm not referring to shorting. We all know shorts exaggerate the emphasis on their postings. There were others who actually predicted "bankruptcy" a year ago. Quite a few shorts obviously got it all wrong when they bet on strike prices at 5.00 and lower.
    Jul 25, 2013. 09:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Shut It Down [View article]
    So what month and year will they close?

Quite a few people put out predictions a year ago that BBRY would not be here today. Where are those people now?
    Jul 25, 2013. 08:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The latest round of job cuts at BlackBerry (BBRY +0.3%) has 250 let go at the company's Waterloo, Ontario HQ. The company axed thousands last year and at most recent count had 12.7K full-time employees. Those being laid off in this round are part of the new product testing unit, maybe another sign the Playbook is to be phased out. [View news story]

NASDAQ seem to think it will barely reach the mid 8 level. Lots of shorts last year bet it would go below 6.00, but it did not. I will disagree with NASDAQ analysis slightly, in that I think 8.00 is a reachable target before the next quarterly report.
    Jul 25, 2013. 05:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Shut It Down [View article]
    Hi Cliff, just over half of the shareholders are institutional, so I doubt they will unload their shares at market price levels. If the cash pile continues to grow, then it is possible. I would prefer to see investment in advertising. Even AAPL spends a substantial amount of capital on advertising. BBRY has a long history of very little ad spend, often relying upon carriers to promote their products. I don't think they can afford that luxury anymore, even with the user base growing from near 45 million in 2010, to just over 70 million in early 2013. When you look at the growth alone, it seems substantial. When you look at the growth of BBRY compared to other smartphone vendors, then it is easy to see they missed out on better growth.

The company was profitable in 2010, though the workforce was smaller. Anyway, share buybacks are usually what happens when companies are out of ideas, even if it may please some shareholders. As a group shareholders do not often have the best ideas for the direction a company needs to take. Lately they have been fairly impatient too. The other issue is that if BBRY needs to borrow money in the future, then it is easier to get a good credit rating as a public company, since the financials are much more open to inspection.
    Jul 25, 2013. 05:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Shut It Down [View article]
    Cliff Hilton, you should know that Marcap is very biased against BlackBerry. His bias guides his comments, which should be apparent. I have zero problem with him making his claims and stating his opinions, even though I disagree with him. There is no point in trying to alter his views.

Several of the companies he listed provide subsets of management functions for mobile devices. The other issue not listed is cost of subscription, and how many physical administrators are required to implement each solution. Large companies will evaluate far more than known names and past reputations. If Marcap is interested in furthering his views, he should write an article highlighting mobile device management; I'm sure it would be well received.
    Jul 25, 2013. 04:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Shut It Down [View article]
    I would expect IBM and SAP to be larger competitors with potentially better mobile device solutions. However, it begs the question of why IBM was interested in BBRY.
    Jul 25, 2013. 04:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Shut It Down [View article]
    The SEC is investigating claims of "high return rates". So far no credible source has emerged who can back up that claim. In other words, the statement was a fabrication of a few small boutique investment companies looking for attention.
    Jul 25, 2013. 04:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Shut It Down [View article]
    Hi rude, I tried to pick up shares at 6.00 last year, when the short interest was high. It seemed an achievable target, but I missed it. Anyway, I think we could see 8.00 before September. If you want more shares, pay attention to the concentration of short positions. While I do not think we will get near 6.00 again, there is a chance of seeing 7.00, and 8.00 could be an easy target.
    Jul 24, 2013. 04:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Shut It Down [View article]
    That's true Dantes, in that some people here were burned by share losses, so they post here as a type of vendetta against the company.
    Jul 23, 2013. 02:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment