Holmes_Osborne

View Holmes_Osborne's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Is Transocean A Better Buy Than Ensco And Noble? [View article]
    The world needs oil and these outfits have the ability to get to the deap stuff. May be down for awhile but they will be back.
    May 15 10:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Peninsula Hotels Stock: 50 Cent Dollar [View article]
    I have two clients who own mobile homes in Malibu, California. They do not own the dirt underneath their mobile homes. The homes are probably worth $40,000. The right to park their home on that piece of property is about $1 million. They pay association fees but that's their spot.

Some real estate deals are different than others.

As for any of the Peninsulas, if you wanted to buy one, you'd have to write a check for a few hundred million, U.S. dollars. Whatever the land arrangement is.
    Apr 10 03:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Peninsula Hotels Stock: 50 Cent Dollar [View article]
    You can't use PE, earnings, etc. when looking at many Asian companies.

This valuation technique of looking at NAV is not mine. Look at Third Avenue and many other great value outfits. They use this way of looking at investments and have put up some great returns.

Look at other investments that Third Avenue has done this with this: Wheelock, Pargesa, Vodaphone.

You can look at PE for some companies but not a good metric for all.
    Apr 9 02:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Peninsula Hotels Stock: 50 Cent Dollar [View article]
    I bought $40,000 in small positions for several clients yesterday. I may buy more.
    Apr 8 10:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • NII Capital Junk Bonds Yielding Over 28% [View article]
    The problem is that some of these bonds are unsecured. NIHD atrophied customers faster than I thought. I'll take my 35% loss and move on. For a diversified portfolio of risk investments, it's not that big a deal.
    Mar 16 12:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NII Capital Junk Bonds Yielding Over 28% [View article]
    Sold out. Company lost too many customers and the bonds are unsecured.
    Mar 8 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Look At Third Avenue Funds Annual Report, October 2013 [View article]
    Sorry, wrong article. Meant to say that I sold out of NII bonds. Still hold Third Avenue.
    Mar 6 02:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Look At Third Avenue Funds Annual Report, October 2013 [View article]
    I sold out yesterday. This risky investment did not pay off for my clients. Took the loss. One lesson is that investing in tech is challenging.
    Mar 6 11:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Look At Third Avenue Funds Annual Report, October 2013 [View article]
    Thanks for the kind words. I love Third Avenue. Holmes Osborne
    Feb 2 08:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Economies Of Oil And How To Profit [View article]
    Many people, including myself, believe that when the velocity of money rises once again, so will inflation.
    Jan 15 01:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Economies Of Oil And How To Profit [View article]
    I write for the American investor. Other Central Banks are expanding their money supply as well. Most certainly will mean inflation, sooner or later.
    Jan 14 06:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Economies Of Oil And How To Profit [View article]
    I hope you're right. Let's pray. Boone Pickens said we'd save 5 million a day if we convert 18 wheelers.

I just don't see this happening anytime soon. Things have to get bad before they get better and that portends good things for oil investments.
    Jan 14 12:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Economies Of Oil And How To Profit [View article]
    That's an article unto itself. Would take awhile to find this.
    Jan 14 12:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Economies Of Oil And How To Profit [View article]
    I don't know it the spread will widen or narrow. If we don't export, it will remain a large spread.
    Jan 14 08:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Economies Of Oil And How To Profit [View article]
    More development in the Gulf of Mexico and onshore. It's about time. The U.S. has the engineers and capital to make it happen.
    Jan 14 08:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment