Howard Sun

View Howard Sun's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Case for a Bounce [View article]
    PE is not a good measurement in this current state. Fundamentals DO NOT matter in the short-run. However, I also suspect there will be a bounce next week as shorts cover and as bailout plans begin to take some effect. However, the market will likely continue to fall after that.
    Oct 13, 2008. 12:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Smartest People to Follow [View article]
    Hmm.. why would I want to follow someone who's off 53% for this year? I'd rather make my own investment decisions than chase one of these "gurus".
    Oct 13, 2008. 12:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time to Invest in Pharmaceuticals? [View article]
    User 245013 - I'm not a journalist. And yes I am aware that it takes many years of research and hundreds of millions in development costs to bring a drug to market. Certainly many drugs remain unprofitable for many years, and sometimes their entire lifetime post-launch.

Hence why many large pharmas are acquiring or partnering with research facilities and other drug companies.
    Aug 18, 2008. 12:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Cancel Motorola's Funeral Just Yet [View article]
    OrdinaryGuy - Read the article and you'll note that I'm not pronouncing the "death" of this company. And even if I was, I wouldn't need "inside information" to do it. Almost everybody has access to the same information, it's what you do with the information that deems you a good investor (or not).

If you have an argument as why we should buy MOT, please present it; otherwise your comments are no more than biased shareholder opinion.
    Aug 18, 2008. 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons from the Best-Ever Hedge Fund Manager [View article]
    Interesting article - I've always been a big fan of market psychology. How does a stock increase 20% one day and drop 50% the next? Majority of it driven by the crowd.

Look at all the boom and bust we've witnessed over the years, a majority of these trends have been driven by the overly enthusiastic or the overly pessimistic views of the general investment community.

The fact that ideas generated hundreds of years ago can be applied in today's markets is testament to how the human nature rarely changes. After all, there is no market without the crowd.
    Apr 14, 2008. 10:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jim Rogers' Picks and Pans - Barron's Interview [View article]
    I know Jim Rogers has been long the Chinese market for several years now. In fact, he's been an advocate of the commodity and Chinese bull market since the very beginning of the run, when few believed the market could sustain for so long.

For those naysayers, it's time to admit the truth - the US is becoming less of a superpower every minute. Don't be muddled by all the mass-media propaganda. Even when all the economic indicators point toward a recession, we can't POSSIBLY be in a recession. Right?
    Apr 13, 2008. 07:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple, Walmart: Growth Stocks on the Move [View article]
    Jack - I like your contrarian thinking. Here are my initial thoughts on your recommended companies.

Wachovia - I continue to be bearish on banks. I'd rather wait a few more months before putting my money here

Ford - If you're a contrarian, perhaps it is time to buy here, the company has been beaten down so much already

Wal-Mart - Bad times tend to be good for WMT, I see bad times ahead - consider it a buy

Pfizer - Lipitor's coming off patent in 2010, lack of drugs in the pipeline, relatively inefficient internal processes versus other big pharma. For now this is a sell for me; I'd like to see PFE get its act together before giving it a buy signal
    Apr 6, 2008. 02:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Short Interest at Record Levels [View article]
    Although % of float is a consideration when you're playing the short squeeze, what's an even better indicator is the days to cover. If a stock has a short 30% of float but only a few days to cover, the effect of the short may not be as pronounced as if the days to cover are much longer.
    Mar 27, 2008. 07:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Downey Financial Go To Zero? [View article]
    In addition, from the technical POV, there was a huge shooting star yesterday. Seems like DSL will take another hit in the ensuing days.
    Mar 25, 2008. 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment