Ian Agar

View Ian Agar's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Windstream Did Not Miss Earnings - They Prudently Gained For The Future [View article]
    Thank you both for your comments and readership. The article is referring to the $0.25 dividend per quarter, equaling $1 annually. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused. Thanks!
    Nov 13 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you mwaldmer for your comment. I am glad you enjoyed the article.

I, too, have grown tiresome of negative articles regarding the company. I have always believed the company has a lot of promise and is doing fine work in the telecommunications market. For this, I strongly believe they are setting themselves up for a bright future, but it is not an immediate future. However, with the safe dividend, I have always thought that an investor buying now, with a multi-year timeframe, would be paid to wait and someday it will all pay off. I continue to believe this with each new press release or earnings report, and I continue to hold for the long term.

Thanks again for your comment!
    Nov 13 03:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you for your comment, meichler. I seem to have overlooked including the "per quarter" indication in the article, so thank you for catching that. I appreciate your readership!
    Nov 13 02:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you for your comment, rgperrin. I received S&P's report through my broker and upon reading it recently, I was delighted to see their 5 star rating. They also painted a positive outlook on the company, and I was very happy to see some optimism, as well. So many articles are quick to bash Windstream, especially its dividend which has yet to slash its dividend, despite the fear on the street. I reiterate, much like in my article above, that I do not believe the company will slash the dividend any time soon. The company places it as a top priority and has made this clear in numerous press releases. The financials add up, in my opinion, too.

Thanks for your readership and comment!
    Nov 13 02:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Has Armour Residential Become A Value Trap? [View article]
    Another biased article...This is not the first article to have come out in the past three months saying that ARR is going down the drain and is horrible. There is money to be made if your purchases are timed right. If you bought in mid-August when it dipped below $4, you are at a profit and likely to continue to gain. The word on the street is now that after Friday's job report, which was a disappointment, the Fed may not taper starting this month, as previously thought. ARR rose on the news. If the Fed were to indeed decide not to taper so soon at their meeting in the coming week and a half, then ARR may see some great gains (albeit maybe only temporarily until the next round of tapering rumors, but enough time to book a worthwhile profit).

I think ARR is all about timing right now. Perhaps buy and hold is not good to do at this volatile point, but it certainly is worthy of more time than a quick day trade or not buying at all. I'm holding for a little while longer.
    Sep 8 11:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Upcoming Lawsuits Will Likely Leave Affymax Shareholders With Nothing [View article]
    The question becomes where is the funding for the investigation coming from? And what is the current state of the investigation? These are things only insiders know. To say they would need more loans for the investigation may or may not be true; if Takeda is funding enough of it, then there would be no need and then it is great that AFFY paid off its existing debt.

Ultimately, nobody on the outside knows at this point. We can only be optimistic or pessimistic based on the information we know, and paying off debt sounds like a positive sign to me. As has been said, companies going bankrupt don't make it a top priority to pay off their debt first. Very bullish.
    Apr 6 03:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    In regards to the pessimism in the 10K and related press releases, it is reasonable to say, however, the pessimistic statements are for protection and liability purposes.

Think about it: if three lawsuits against Affymax seem bad right now, just picture how many lawsuits there would be if the company gave a *positive* press release (such as "there is good hope Omontys is coming back" or to the like), and then the company goes BK instead. Or the FDA rejects Omontys altogether, or so on. Then people would be shouting, "Why didn't Affymax mention they were considering bankruptcy???!!!" and calling their lawyers.

The company would be sued into the next millennium for NOT warning investors about the potential for BK/layoffs/etc..!! Damned if you do, damned if you don't really.
    Apr 3 09:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Let's just summarize AFFY at this point:

Monday - OMONTYS lives!! $300 by Friday!!!
    Tuesday - The world is ending!! AFFY is already bankrupt!! The management is a conspiracy theory against shareholders!!

And repeat for the rest of the week/month.....

It is sad to see that people change their entire sentiment off of one article-just look at Chelsea Therapeutics last week after a Seeking Alpha article came out saying it could double.
    Apr 2 09:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities: Boring Dead Weights Or Solid Long-Term Investments? [View article]
    I like your article. I am young and I am more focused on growth stocks and such, but hearing your wisdom and experience really puts life into perspective for me and inspires me to start focusing dividend growth stocks for when my next 20-30 years have passed. Good article!
    Feb 4 12:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Keryx Biopharmaceuticals A Good Buy At $9+? [View article]
    KERX is definitely ready for a correction. The volume has declined compared to Monday (the start of this explosion) and clearly, the percent increase each day is now very little. I've already sold and realised my profits. I think it is safe to wait for the pullback before buying more for a longer-term run.
    Jan 31 05:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This 9%-Yielder Has Paid 146 Consecutive Dividends [View article]
    I am going to ignore StreetAuthority. Very misleading title and I agree with the majority here: this dividend is hardly anything to write about-a special dividend is exactly that: "special," not expected.
    Jan 25 01:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Solid Stocks And 1 Gamble For A Successful Holiday Season [View article]
    sundate36, thank you for your post. I apologize for the late reply.

I have also increased my position, thus lowering my average. I feel the stock has also found support, as you mentioned, and as January 1st comes closer, the stock should at least start heading upward. With the new CEO slowly but surely coming into play, I think the longer-term gains for VRML are slowly coming together. I'm definitely holding this for a while.

Thanks again, and good luck!
    Dec 17 10:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Starbucks Not My Cup Of Tea At These Levels [View article]
    I completely disagree with this article. Teavana realistically could not have been priced in because SBUX has traded in the $50 area for several months now-well before the Teavana news was released.

Additionally, the headline today is that Starbucks wants to open 1500 more stores in the United States alone, in addition to reaching 1500 in China by 2015. It also will report in January its first quarter with Verisimo sales, which supposedly have been doing quite well given the initial demand figures.

Starbucks still has plenty of room to run and it hardly has reached a plateau. For the super short term-maybe two weeks to a month-there might not be much movement. But the winter season historically does amazing for the company, and there are plenty of new initiatives that have nowhere near been priced in.
    Dec 5 02:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Believe Us? Test The Teas Yourself [View article]
    There are several things I would like further consideration on.

First, you mention, "We called and visited a few Teavana locations over Black Friday weekend to hear whether the Company's sales tactics have changed." How many did you visit and call on Black Friday, and how did it compare to your intial calls/visits before testing? You also mentioned calling the Customer Service telephone line and asking, prior to laboratory testing, but not after the results came back. I am hesitant to feel convinced they truly dictated a change in their pitch, post-lab results, simply because a few cashiers said other than you were expecting.

Second, I also am hesitant to feel convinced based off of one lab's results. It is extremely common for companies, such as biotechnology companies, as well as scholars to test products and items through multiple different independent sources. To test it through one lab and consider their results to be absolutely conclusive-enough to build an entire short-stock case and publish it worldwide-is weak, in my opinion. I have a degree in Psychology and I know if I ever presented a thesis that not only supports my well-established personal bias, but also uses one single sole source of research that I hand-picked, my studies would hardly be reputable or viewed as competent. Research, on this scale and in this scope, should hold the same standards.

With only one laboratory researching, there are many things that could have occured that would not be validated without a second opinion. This is common knowledge-again, consider the case of biotechnology companies testing their products through multiple labs and research studies. You recommend investors conduct their own research through their own contacts with a different laboratory. Do we have these results? Has anybody actually done this? Has this issue turned into a lawsuit? Surely you could enjoy a better financial gain through a large-scale lawsuit than simply hoping your stock position pays off in reaction to your research.

In summary, considering your (assumably) large short position in TEA, and the fact that only one choice lab was consulted, I do not feel convinced but rather see this as a weak, biased science experiment.

I hold no position in TEA nor do I have any plans to. I have no financial interest either way.
    Nov 28 11:51 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Solid Stocks And 1 Gamble For A Successful Holiday Season [View article]
    Thanks sundate36! I hope you got in at the lower price, closer to $1.20. I am still at a slight loss but I am appreciative for every cent closer to my buy price! And this 40+% jump for the OVA-1 study helps greatly. Good news!
    Nov 28 11:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment