Ian Bezek

View Ian Bezek's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Don't Buy Oil, Buy Colombia [View article]
    Nice, thanks for the link. My girlfriend's family is from all over Colombia (Cartagena, Medellín and elsewhere) and I haven't heard any grumblings about food prices yet. If I hear anything new, I'll update.
    Apr 17, 2015. 04:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China Zenix: This Probably Won't End Well [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. One shouldn't make a simple size of one article -- particularly one in which the author himself said "avoid" rather than "sell short".
    Apr 17, 2015. 10:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Buy Oil, Buy Colombia [View article]
    ICOL follows the same index as GXG. No reason to own ICOL. GXG has much better liquidity.
    Apr 16, 2015. 10:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Buy Oil, Buy Colombia [View article]
    $600/month wouldn't get you very far there. You could live, but it'd be lower middle class at best. Just to live in a safe decent neighborhood in a bigger city like Medellín would consume much of that.

$1000/month for a single guy would be reasonable.
    Apr 16, 2015. 10:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Buy Oil, Buy Colombia [View article]
    Peso has decoupled from the Euro/Dollar trade. Peso (along with other Latam currencies such as Chilean Peso and Peruvian Sol) are down too hard. While they have structural problems, they don't have Greece and a demographic slowdown to deal with like Europe...

Colombia's GDP hasn't been "in decline". It's rate of increase has slowed (slightly). Remember the difference between first and second derivative of change.

Food hasn't inflated 37.5%. At least not in most of the country. Where do you live?
    Apr 16, 2015. 10:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Buy Oil, Buy Colombia [View article]
    Ecopetrol has a large weighting in GXG as well.
    Apr 16, 2015. 10:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Buy Oil, Buy Colombia [View article]
    CIB is the largest weight in GXG, so you get a nice chunk of it even if you don't buy it directly.
    Apr 16, 2015. 10:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Interview With Chris Lau, Author Of 'Value Stocks For DIY Investors' [View article]
    Correct Charles. Chris's comment is rude, arrogant, and also violates the terms of service here. http://bit.ly/S99OoL Very disappointing.

FWIW these articles are a complete waste of time, except now I know to ignore Chris.
    Apr 10, 2015. 03:59 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Indonesia used to be their hot market. Now we're down to Africa. They'll be relying on strong sales to penguins in Antarctica here in a year or two.
    Apr 9, 2015. 08:18 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Investors Should Take A Pass On This Former Dividend Aristocrat [View article]
    I haven't bought anything in a physical store with a credit card in more than a year and a half. Then again, I live in the 3rd world. My credit card is dusty, only use for plane tickets.

Wonder what the population split of the world is between cash only, cash heavy, card heavy and card only.
    Apr 9, 2015. 07:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Remarkably Poor Financial Decisions In Popular Music Lyrics [View instapost]
    Fantastic!
    Apr 8, 2015. 11:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • XIV Performance Since Inception [View article]
    Has shown negative drift since last summer in a slowly rising market. XIV massive underperforms VXX short. I'm not convinced XIV works as a buy/hold/forget vehicle in anything other than a raging bull market.

VXX still making new all-time lows but XIV nowhere near its highs.
    Apr 7, 2015. 11:33 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Q1 2015 Update [View article]
    I have no investments in Australia, and have no reason for bullishness there. I know embarrasingly little about the Australian economy in fact. I (assets/income in US dollar, living expenses in Latin American currencies) have made my last 3 dividend stock purchases in Canada, Chile, and Colombia to benefit from the present discounts in their currencies.

Canada's economy looks fine to me, the weakness from oil/metals should be offset by Ontario which benefits from cheaper oil/weaker currency. Chile is tied to copper/gold which are priced low but aren't still going lower, unlike oil. Colombia's probably the riskiest as it is most oil-dependent, but with its stock market down 50% since summer 2014, the price certainly wasn't too steep for making an entry...
    Apr 5, 2015. 05:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bancolombia: Buy This Fast-Growing Bank At 5-Year Lows [View article]
    Just to confirm, I received first dividend from CIB posted as pending to my brokerage with no foreign tax withholding whatsoever. I expected as much, but now 100% certain.
    Apr 5, 2015. 04:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Q1 2015 Update [View article]
    Now's the worst time to be buying US Dollar assets. Accumulate in Australia, Canada, Europe, etc. with beaten up currencies. Then when US Dollar goes back down, accumulate there.

Isn't this the WORST moment for a foreigner to be buying American stocks?
    Apr 5, 2015. 04:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment