View as an RSS Feed
View Illuminati Investments' Articles BY TICKER:
Update: ARC Group Earnings Weighed Down By Acquisition Costs
- ARC Group Worldwide reported record sales for their 2014 fiscal year ending in June, but increased expenses related to acquisitions hurt earnings.
- Adjusted earnings for the quarter were slightly negative, resulting in annual adjusted EPS of 38 cents, well below expectations of 50 cents.
- Even based on this non-GAAP metric that adds over a million dollars to net income, ARCW still looks expensive at over 35 times earnings.
- Despite the impressive revenue growth due to acquisitions and an increased focus on 3D printing, I would avoid the stock until they can demonstrate better earnings.
A Pair Trade To Play The Bursting 3D Printing Bubble
- 3D printing stocks continue to decline as investors seem to finally be paying more attention to their still sky high valuations.
- Another manufacturing company, ARCW, also has ridden the bubble higher even though 3D printing currently accounts for less than 5% of sales.
- Similar to 3D printing manufacturers, ARCW's earnings could come under pressure due to the haste in embracing the 3D printing hype.
- Selling ARCW short against going long another undervalued manufacturing company could be a good way to play the deflating 3D printing bubble.
Homebuilder UCP Could Rise On Increased Earnings Or A Buyout
- UCP, Inc. is a small cap homebuilder that develops lots in desirable geographic areas.
- It has just swung to a profit in the past quarter and is expected to increase earnings dramatically next year.
- This will allow it to recognize an income tax benefit that will show up as further increased earnings through a lower tax burden going forward.
- The company also has a large inventory of undeveloped or partially developed lots that are being carried on the books at low purchase prices.
- Despite this likely understatement of land value, the company trades near book value, making it a desirable buyout candidate for other homebuilders facing tight inventory in desirable locations.
MDC Holdings Will Benefit From The Continued Housing Recovery
- MDC Holdings is an attractive mid-tier homebuilder that operates primarily in the West under the Richmond American name.
- The company has reported increased revenues and earnings on the back of the housing rebound that began in 2012 and has continued despite naysayers.
- Increases in both price and volume of sales has been a boon to homebuilder margins and profits, but for the most part their stock prices have not kept up.
- MDC should continue to benefit from the improved housing environment because of their recent land purchases and strong balance sheet.
- Despite this desirable geographic and financial position, the stock is also cheap relative to other homebuilders and the overall market.
Payments Not Guaranteed To Pay Off For Amazon, No Immediate Threat To PayPal
- Amazon is making another push into a crowded industry, hoping to steal market share with their usual strategy of undercutting more established players.
- This would seem to bode poorly for currently dominant PayPal, but I believe they are well enough established, especially with larger retailers, to fend off Amazon's charge.
- eBay shareholders stand to benefit from the continued strong performance of PayPal, while Amazon shareholders could see just another unprofitable foray into a low margin business.
Update: Roundy's Earnings Disappoint
- Roundy's earnings disappointed again, despite increased contributions from new Mariano's stores.
- Same store sales were weak, even at the better performing Mariano's banner.
- Management seems upbeat about the continued expansion of Mariano's, but an overly aggressive buildout could stretch the company's fragile financial position too thin.
Roundy's Could Turn Around Soon
- Buying stocks trading at 52 week lows is difficult while markets are near all time highs, since there are not many and you can temporarily look quite foolish.
- However, these shunned stocks could be where the value is in this overstretched market, if they have a strong enough business to turn things around in a still improving economy.
- This article will look at a stock currently trading near a 52 week low that offers potential upside due to a solid turnaround plan that is being underestimated.
- Roundy's is a company that is transitioning to focus on their premium Mariano's brand, but struggling legacy grocery stores and a high debt load are holding them down.
- The CFO's just announced departure is not a worrisome sign, because he is still a major shareholder and recently joined other insiders in purchasing shares.
What To Do When You Can't Find Anything To Buy
- With indices at all time highs, value investors like yours truly are struggling to find anything cheap enough to buy.
- Even slow growing companies are trading at elevated valuations, along with most of the rest of the market.
- Fast growers are trading at even higher, often absurd, valuations that count on years of sustained high growth rates.
- Finding growth at a reasonable price remains elusive, unless you're willing to overlook hopefully temporary concerns that are weighing down the rare stock that has pulled back to attractive levels.
Quality Closed-End Real Estate Fund Now Trading At A Discount
- Cohen & Steers Total Return Real Estate Fund is an unleveraged closed-end fund that now trades at a significant discount to its holdings of quality equity REITs.
- A merger with another fund seems to have temporarily brought down the price even further below their most recent net asset value.
- A dividend increase announced with the merger has brought the annualized yield up to an enticing 7.8%.
Buy Axiall As Short-Term Issues Temporarily Drag Down Earnings
- Formed by a recent spin-off and subsequent merger, Axiall Corporation's diverse product lineup of chemicals and building materials offers strong long-term earnings power.
- Recent issues are obscuring the cost savings likely to be realized through synergies and masking the potential long-term earnings power of the combined company.
- A number of recent setbacks led to temporarily depressed earnings and an opportunity to buy shares at a discount.
TJX Should Buy Ross, And So Should You
- Ross Stores is trading at a very reasonable valuation given its impressive revenue and earnings growth history.
- The discount retailer would be a natural fit in the portfolio of stores operated by the larger competitor TJX.
- TJX could use their strong balance sheet to accelerate their own expansion by buying all of Ross Stores while it's on sale.
Monitoring The Cheap Oil Services Company, Geospace Technologies
- Geospace Technologies is trading at a very low valuation given its strong earnings growth history.
- The company is now even cheaper after the market overreacted to a contract delay.
- This gives investors a good opportunity to benefit from the potential of its innovative new products.
- Green Mountain's Pop Will Fizzle Out
- Atwood Oceanics Cheap Due To Unrelated Weakness
- Denbury Resources: A Pure Play On Enhanced Oil Production
- A SodaStream Mea Culpa
- Don't Count On Growth Forever From Chipotle
- Conn's Is Creating A New Subprime Lending Bubble
- Buy GSV Capital Before The Next NAV Report
- Harbinger Group Still On Sale, Will Leucadia Buy It All?
- Buy Some Portfolio Insurance While It's Cheap
- Could Salesforce.com Be Fudging Their Sales Numbers?
- EMC Stores Big Data And Big Value
- eBay's Wonderful Businesses Now Available At A Fair Price
- The Importance Of A Maintenance-Free Moat
- Buying A Business For Half Price At Mr. Market's Estate Sale
- Potential Deal Could Benefit These Two Undervalued Miners
- Use The Twitter IPO News To Exit Poorly Managed GSV Capital
- Investors Should Be Aware Of This Obscure Biometrics Company
- Using The Kelly Criterion To Deploy Cash During Pullbacks
- Buy Red Hot Spectrum Brands At A Discount Through Harbinger
- Worried About A Silver Selloff? Buy Silver Wheaton Instead