Integrator

View Integrator's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Q2 2015 Update [View article]
    Hi, I'm actually in the US now. I'm using motif to do my bulk trades. I can do 30 purchases for $10 a transaction.
    Jul 7, 2015. 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Q2 2015 Update [View article]
    i havent considered pny, but its revenue growth and return on equity are probably a little low for my liking.
    Jul 7, 2015. 12:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Q2 2015 Update [View article]
    Effectively what I do, is instead of making my scheduled $2500 purchase for one of the quarters, I'll increase that to say $2700 (assuming $200 in dividends for the year). So in actual fact, there is thus no extra commission. Just a larger regular scheduled purchase
    Jul 7, 2015. 09:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    paulii,

thanks so much for this data. was very informative. some good points to consider.
    Jul 7, 2015. 09:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    2Reb,

The thinking was to let the winners keep running along, rather than seek to curtail them. On the heavy weighting to consumer goods, this actually wasn't by design but more a function of the chosen stocks for the portfolio.
    I do agree with you though, I think I'll have to keep a careful eye on the weightings to ensure I don't end up with something that has greater sector skews than already exist.
    Jul 7, 2015. 09:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    B&H, Rhiannon,

I was referring to the actual initial capital deployment, and just having it be the same time every quarter.

B&H , you make a good point, that every few % points that you can get do actually matter over the long run. I'll need to reconsider how I got about my execution of the strategy.
    Jul 7, 2015. 09:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Q2 2015 Update [View article]
    6228371, I was pretty comfortable with JNJ's long term record the segments that it operates in and that I could consistently keep buying the business long term. I wasn't as familiar with Gilead to make that determination and say that it would have steadily rising long term intrinsic value 30 years into the future. Having said that, I do own a small one off position in Gilead of about $3k, but I'm not looking to accumulate the stock.
    Jul 7, 2015. 08:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Q2 2015 Update [View article]
    bud4704, I'm aiming to invest in all markets, good ones and bad ones. Regular investment works well for me. It gets me out of market timing to some degree.
    Jul 7, 2015. 08:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Q2 2015 Update [View article]
    Thanks Falcon, I appreciate the kind words. I do agree many of the businesses here should be long term survivors.
    Jul 7, 2015. 08:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Q2 2015 Update [View article]
    Rich, What I meant to say here was that I'm basically buying a "30 stock index". What makes the motif attractive as far as keeping down costs is that I can do these bulk buys of 30 stocks at a time for a very low transaction fee of just $10. Given I've found that the price performance of the portfolio has largely mimicked that of the S&P, I've been using the price change of the S&P to inform optimal times to make purchases of my own index.

What I have been wondering is whether worrying about 1-2% point moves here and there is going to make much long term difference to the portfolio performance, and instead, if I shouldn't just automate the thing and say, 1st of every quarter lets make the buy, and see where things shake out long term. In some respects to how regular purchases occur in a 401k ,
    Jul 7, 2015. 08:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Q2 2015 Update [View article]
    rhiannion, I don't drip the individual positions, rather I use a cash sweep and then reinvest all the dividends in one go back into the portfolio.
    Jul 7, 2015. 08:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Q2 2015 Update [View article]
    All good points. Interesting both have had pretty similar total returns since 1970, GE logged about 11.9% annually in this time, MMM has returned about 11.2%.
    Jul 7, 2015. 08:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Q2 2015 Update [View article]
    CH1P. Yes correct, I am using motif.
    Jul 6, 2015. 09:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Q2 2015 Update [View article]
    Fidel, I think each investor is different. Not sure I can really help generalize here.
    Jul 6, 2015. 10:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Q2 2015 Update [View article]
    Enthusiastic investor. Some fair points.

As I mentioned above, my total trading cost to this point has just been $30, so commissions have been kept low. Ive deliberately chosen the stocks that I have with confidence that their instrinsic values will rise long term and the businesses won't be sold,ever. Thus, over time, there will be periods of relative over or undervaluation, relative to a point in time, but in 30 years time, the prices I paid today will seem insignificant to the price that the stocks are trading at then.

That's why its steady, gradual, quarterly accumulation. But your point is a valid one, nothing on the market is really bargain basement today.
    Jul 6, 2015. 10:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment