Integrator

View Integrator's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Visa: Why Younger Dividend Investors Should Not Ignore Low Yield [View article]
    Great move chuck. I first purchased MA just after the float. Foolishly, in pursuit of higher dividend yielding stocks. I sold it a substantial amount off for a 3-4x return a few years later. I since bought back in at $350 ish (pre split), and have owned Visa at $110 (when I was worried it was a touch expensive-- but still went ahead and bought because I figured it would grow into its valuation-- fortunate).

Both have provided very nice gains to date, and I expect plenty more going forward. They are cash generating machines with huge ROE's. If only every position in my portfolio was as robust....
    Aug 25 05:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I feel eventually they will bump up the dividend.... it's just a matter of time. Payout ratio seems to naturally go up in many companies across many sectors once the business matures.
    Aug 25 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I like both, and hold a lot of both. Each is a very strong player in a cosy duopoly (or oligopoly, if you include Amex) with strong market power and pricing power. I don't think you can go wrong holding either for the long term.
    Aug 25 05:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Johnson & Johnson Is Helping Me With My Coca Cola Investment [View article]
    interesting point booban. making a comparison with one company financial's in a certain industry and anothers financials in a different industry may not really be very informative if you are trying to draw valuation comparisons, which I wasn't.

The point I was trying to make is that you can do all this backward looking analysis and get depressed by a stock not moving anywhere and conclude that a company's best days are behind it. However, there is a reason that company's with an enduring competitive advantage tend to keep surviving and reinventing themselves.
    While a company's stock price may be down and out and growth may be tepid for a time, company's with some enduring competitive advantage still manage, to eventually turn things around, through investment, refocussing organic growth or otherwise.
    I missed that lesson with JNJ because of too much of a focus on recent problems, not paying enough attention to a history of survival and reinvention. I think Coca Cola's shares a lot of similar attributes. I'm keen not to make a similar misstep because of temporary flatness and market underperformance. Sometimes we can do all this analysis and miss latent strength in a company's moat.
    Aug 25 12:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    thanks 1627, appreciate it
    Aug 25 12:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google: Payments About To Go Into Overdrive [View article]
    Daoldbuick,

To explain this a little further, my feeling is that Apple will launch with an embedded secure element within the iphone 6 (so leveraging a device based secure element, rather than a cloud based secure element) which would be used to store payment credentials, loyalty coupons etc. Passbook is a reference to the Apple wallet that allows you to store your loyalty cards and tickets from merchants.
    The way I expect this will work is NFC will allow you to scan and transmit data that is held in the Apple passbook wallet (your fandango movie tix for example), and have them transmitted direct to the merchant point of sale in store for a clean user experience.
    Aug 23 04:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Visa And MasterCard Will Win In Mobile Due To HCE [View article]
    To disrupt MA or V will take a feat of massive proportions. Someone with a massive embedded consumer base, strong merchant relationships and a killer value proposition to merchants to encourage them to adopt. MCX is trying, but consortiums have too many conflicted interests that ultimately bring them undone. Cryptocurriences are something to watch for, but it will be years before they have sufficient scale and broadbased acceptance to be a serious challenge. Odds suggest that these currencies will play niche roles in money transfer and as store of value.
    The wild card is really could someone like an Paypal, Google, Amazon essentially displace MA or V with an ACH or alternative payment rail. PayPal's instore struggles are pretty plain for most to see. There is no value proposition compelling consumers to pay with PayPal. Until that changes, they will not succeed in store. Unless Google, Amazon want to become banks or partner with banks, I don't see them disrupting MA or Visa either. But if anyone could do it, I would put my money on a Google, Apple, Amazon or Facebook introducing some type of banking service to their customer base. The trend for these companies appears to be that they are content on leveraging the existing payment rails for the moment. I addressed this topic before here http://bit.ly/1tvNgiQ
    Aug 23 12:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google: Payments About To Go Into Overdrive [View article]
    I tend to agree with this assessment. It will be the larger companies that have good consumer experiences, with large embedded bases that will win. Those that have a weak wallet experience or an unclear user value proposition will lose out. I also don't favor consortiums as being overall winners here (ie either MCX or ISIS). Google and Apple will both be dominant players.
    Aug 23 12:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google: Payments About To Go Into Overdrive [View article]
    I think Apple would also see some benefit in NFC beyond payment to further progress its healthkit strategy for connected healthcare devices. It's likely many of these devices will communicate back to the device via NFC rather than bluetooth, given NFC's 2 way communication, so Apple will be well served by NFC for payment and healthcare ambitions.

Apple won't simply enable an ecosystem for Google to harvest. My expectation is that Apple will launch with an embedded SE to begin with, and that it will only allow Passbook to access the NFC radio, rather than Google wallet. Implicitly, this move will hasten the rollout of NFC terminals, but that's the extent of the advantage that Apple would provide Google.
    Aug 23 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google: Payments About To Go Into Overdrive [View article]
    There are a bunch of them actually, spread across different parts of the ecosystems from chips (more relevant if you think that the secure element will win out vs HCE) to TSM providers to mobile payments enablers to terminal providers. Monetize (listed on the LSX) is an emerging player in the space, some of the terminal providers are larger but also listed, including Verifone, could potentially benefit from the POS upgrade cycle to NFC terminals.
    Aug 23 11:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Buy For Yield, Stay For Growth [View article]
    Congratulations Mike, looks like you've been assigned a new project!
    Aug 23 11:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google: Payments About To Go Into Overdrive [View article]
    movies, the conditions are set now for take off of NFC. I think Google is well placed to play a role here. The next 12 months will be interesting times for mobile commerce at the point of sale.
    Aug 22 08:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google: Payments About To Go Into Overdrive [View article]
    Chris, the quantum of what they spent doesn't surprise me. To subsidize a bunch of NFC terminals in multiple establishments and with subsidies for offers to entice consumers, it's no surprise they've invested so much. The prize is a big one, it's basically the trillions of dollars that are transacted in offline point of sale commerce, and all the supporting offers and ads that influence that spend. Google needs to be here... that's why they are so desperate to crack this market....$300M is the price for market entry. It's not so easy to purpose something else to forcefit for point of sale commerce
    Aug 22 08:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google: Payments About To Go Into Overdrive [View article]
    Appreciate the feedback Mitch
    Aug 22 08:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Buy For Yield, Stay For Growth [View article]
    Mike, fully agreed. It's hard to maintain discipline when you see the index outperforming your investment....and you think you can get a better return elsewhere. Some of my biggest mistakes (JNJ being one of them) occurred due to a lack of patience
    Aug 22 08:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment