Integrator

View Integrator's Comments BY TICKER:
ADP, BP, CSCO, KO, MA, MSFT, T, V
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Q1 2014 [View article]
    Fantastic win green! Can I ask how long it took you to get to an annual run rate of 71k yr? My medium term objective is $50k yr in dividend income. I would prefer a greater contribution of dividends from the US and other international companies, and that is something that I am actively working toward. It just so happens that I started off my dividend portfolio in Australia, hence the large concentration of Australian dividend payers. They generally offer much higher yields, faster dividend growth, with even smaller companies paying dividends. My main concern is a pronounced downturn in the exchange rate. For the moment, the Aussie dollar has held up well, but it expect downward movements over the next 2-3 years.

I hold most of the large Australian banks( Anz, westpac, commonwealth bank), Telstra and a clutch of other large cap companies. The interesting thing about the Australian market, is similar to canada, there are a clutch of duopolies as the market isn't large enough to support multiple players. That makes for very high returns and strong profitability
    Apr 7 11:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Q1 2014 [View article]
    Steffen, great question. I did a little portfolio pruning toward the end of 2013 and culled some positions whose dividends I didnt really feel were very sustainable (ie some resources companies). Additionally, the majority of my dividends are in AUD whose exchange rate fluctuates with the USD. Last year, the average rate was close to parity. So far this year it's in the 90's, thus, my expected USD dividend income will be lower than may otherwise be expected for 2014.
    Apr 7 08:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Q1 2014 [View article]
    I used to doubt that a passive dividend income stream could seriously support one's lifestyle fully, but dedication to the investment journey and reading stories of others who have actually achieved similar continues to provide belief and inspiration that this may indeed be possible.
    Apr 7 08:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Q1 2014 [View article]
    I looked long and hard at Target but didn't find it offered compelling enough value compared to the income and dividend growth on offer. I currently hold Cisco as well.
    Apr 7 08:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Q1 2014 [View article]
    Wow, that's a nice dividend income! I look forward to the day when I can collect close to $40k in dividend income annually!. I do like FAST here. It's a sustained performer over many years. Perhaps slightly expensive in terms of PE, but I aim to average into this one over time.
    Apr 7 08:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 30 And Under Portfolio: Q4 2013 Update [View article]
    Congratulations on your first article! I also made a similar purchase in BP around the same time. I trimmed a little around the edges as it rose to $47. PBA really does stand out as a position that should be trimmed, just for the good health of the overall portfolio.

Good luck with the DGI strategy. I know it's something that has served me well over an extended period of time. I started when I was in my early 20's and in my mid 30's now, the portfolio throws off over $27k annually in dividends, proving that it can be a pathway to long term passive income!
    Feb 21 06:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding Coca-Cola [View article]
    slc,
    I personally hold most of my index funds in a tax deferred 401k account, though having said that, I'd look to also hold individual stocks if I could, although I don't have the option to do that in my 401k (and i dont own an IRA). I think holding taxable vs not is ultimately question of what you expect your tax position long term to be. In my case, I'm banking on paying less tax in the future vs what I'm doing today, hence why tax deferred investing (whether fund vs indiv stocks) makes sense to me. Any overflow is what i'd put in a taxable account. I haven't done that to date, but I'm restructuring my investments to do more of it this why in the future.
    Feb 4 07:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding Coca-Cola [View article]
    Technically you can view any dividend growth stock as a bond with variable principle, in the sense that at any point in time it will provide a certain yield which equates to market perception of risk and growth.

The big difference here is that unlike a bond with a fixed yield that declines in real terms, you're getting a constantly increasing dividend.

My thoughts
    Feb 4 06:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding Coca-Cola [View article]
    JD, PT Stanford,
    Some good comments. Let me give you my take. The fact that Coca Cola is trading around it's April 1998 high to me is more incidental. From a valuation perspective, on if you look at PE or Price/Cash Flow or any of those measures, Coca Cola today is much cheaper than where it was in 1998. Back then, the company was trading at a PE of close to 47, vs 18,19 today. It's less than 1/2 the price on those measures. I don't believe Coca Cola has truly ever been "cheap" (in the sense of being able to buy it 10x earnings or the like. In terms of other opportunities, it's a question of whether you think it holds a place in your own portfolio.
    For me, I have a ring of satellites comprised of dividend payers that have greater risk and faster growth. They tend to be more volatile also as far as price goes. I need companies like Coca Cola that have good price stability, limited volatility and high quality of earnings and consistent growing dividends. Coca Cola fills a key role in the core of my portfolio as far as meeting that need. It's the thing that allows me take a little more risk with some more early stage dividend companies in my outer rings.
    Feb 4 06:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding Coca-Cola [View article]
    It's back up now- thanks for letting me know.
    Feb 4 05:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding Coca-Cola [View article]
    Agree. I think it's a good core positon to have and add to on dips in price, whether recession or otherwise.
    Feb 4 05:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding Coca-Cola [View article]
    Alex, thanks for the additional insights. I'd characterize coca cola as providing growth at a reasonable price. I do tend to agree that 7-8% should be a reasonable medium term target for dividend growth.
    Feb 4 03:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding Coca-Cola [View article]
    I would like to continue adding to the core position over time. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of excess dry powder available right now, so am holding just a little back in case we see dips in dow. to sub 15000 in which case I may top up a little more.
    Feb 4 03:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding Coca-Cola [View article]
    In terms of high quality, I rate coca cola up near mcdonalds. Warren did establish the position at a great time. I expect dividends alone probably have returned the initial investment cost multiple times over.
    Feb 4 01:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding Coca-Cola [View article]
    that's a great starting point. My initial entry was quite higher, though I hope to steadily add to the position over time
    Feb 4 12:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment