Integrator

View Integrator's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    Ha ha! Thanks for the feedback. Good to know. Sometimes I feel I have too great a love for moats. I guess it shows in this article.
    Jun 20, 2015. 11:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    Smallstep, I have an effective yield on my portfolio of about 2.3%. I understand for some folks this may be too low, but based on the businesses I've selected, this is what my portfolio yield netted out to be. I don't require income for probably another 20 years, so I'm happy to let this steadily grow over time into substantially more dividend income.
    Jun 19, 2015. 10:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    Seanthome, best of luck with your strategy. I haven't been more at peace with my investing since I started this.
    Jun 19, 2015. 10:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    maybenot, I look at a combination of numerical and qualitative factors. By the numbers, I'm focussed on high returns on equity, or at least earning beyond cost of capital (I prefer ROE >15%). Qualitative factors include existence of switching costs, intellectual property, network effects etc.
    Jun 19, 2015. 10:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    Charles many thanks for your feedback. In fairness, so as not to blight all small caps, I should state that I didn't happen to have too much success with them as dividend payers. That's not too say that all people will experience the same consequences with small cap dividend payers. I imagine if selected right, they could do wonders for total return and dividend income.
    Jun 19, 2015. 10:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    poortorich, I think you can actually just do really well just focussing on d category. c's have plenty of upside, but scaling from mid too large is no easy feat. Many companies fail to make this transition and meander. The pathway to success if not as easy as it seems.
    Jun 19, 2015. 05:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Pancake,

Its a great question, the one about what the goals for my portfolio are.

At a very base level, its to generate a level of income from the portfolio that will satisify my expenses in retirement. I don't want or intend to sell off any of the portfolio. The base will remain untouched and I want to live off the income. I'll augment dividend income with rental income. I'm starting with a pretty solid base dividend income already. So I think this should be an achievable goal long term.

But I have to be honest though, outperformance of the S&P 500 is a secondary goal. I can't believe that I couldn't do any better than a broad based index of over 500 companies, many of which have no moats or middling economics. This isn't necessary for me, I'll just be bummed on a personal level if I haven't managed to achieve that over say 10 years.
    Jun 19, 2015. 05:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    SDS,

I'm not completely against mid cap and small caps. But the way I've decided to invest in them is a one time buy, in very small amounts. The nature of these companies is that you'll make a killing if these businesses turn out to be really successful, irrespective of whether you invest $2,000 or $10,000. Conversely, if they fail, there is a big difference in what you will lose I don't see the need to accumulate them or take on greater risk than necessary. I do still hold some small/mid caps, but not for dividends, and in small parcel sizes. They will provide upside to my retirement plan. They won't form the base of it.
    Jun 19, 2015. 05:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Theodore,

I do this in a taxable account. Ideally, I'd do this in a tax deferred account, but my 401k doesn't allow self selection, and its being maxxed out with an index fund.

I am planning to regularly reinvest all dividends and just keeping buying my index. The examples I've illustrated proved to me that this is the right pathway for me.

I don't use, and don't plan to use stop loss orders. These are long term investments that I want to give to eventually give to my kids. The worst thing I want to do is sell to early because of some algorithimic market gyrations.
    Jun 19, 2015. 04:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    Paper_stax, I have done all the same things. Feeling remorse if stocks drop in price, feeling emotional about investments that have gone bad. Part of the discipline is just controlling all those things. I admit, I also don't do a very good job of it. But regular, scheduled investing in small amounts helps me manage it. The daily, weekly losses are small. If investments are down, I know I 'm going to be back shortly buying more. I don't feel a great need to rush out and buy something just because its fallen in price. I've settled on a path that tries to take all of the emotion and attachment out of managing an investment portfolio.
    Jun 19, 2015. 04:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    MrStoner, I'm glad its just small amounts!. One could have likely done far worse.
    Jun 19, 2015. 04:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    Thanks maybenot, appreciate your feedback.
    Jun 19, 2015. 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    hiteshastan, thanks for your words. The stocks that I'm holding represent my set of choices based on my criterion including my familarity and comfort level. There is an extensive set of Dividend Aristocrats that you could look to beyond what I've selected if additional options are of interest.
    Jun 19, 2015. 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    Thanks Rose!. I don't know about success just yet, but I tell you that its a path that gives me satisfaction and peace of mind. That in and of itself is priceless for me.
    Jun 19, 2015. 04:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    Thanks for your kind works, Dividend Sleuth. I feel its important for all of us to contribute back to the platform. Its a perspective that investors can evaluate, draw from and critique, but ultimately use as a base to form their own plan, whether similar or different.
    Jun 19, 2015. 04:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment