Integrator

View Integrator's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My Challenges As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Paul- you are right- i think there is a place for high total return stocks and growth stocks in any portfolio. I very much do want to continue increasing my dividend income near term as well.
    Nov 10, 2014. 08:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Challenges As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Thanks Rose. Lots to learn and many insights to gather from all here. Love hearing these stories of people who bought 40-50 years ago and never sold and have compounded large capital gains in the interim.
    Nov 10, 2014. 08:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Challenges As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    mikelavigne, actually australian adrs are tax neutral... ie they are at the same effective tax rates as US sourced dividends i believe
    Nov 10, 2014. 08:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Challenges As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Nathan, more than the static price performance, I think it's some of the operational issues that these companies are facing that is more problematic. Of course prices often fluctuate near term for no rhyme of reason. I do believe I've got good diversification, with a reasonable mix of high yield income, lower yield and faster growth and just outright growth. The structural advantages that Coca Cola and MCdonalds face give me some comfort that they should be able to overcome their respective issues.
    Nov 9, 2014. 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Challenges As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Ha ha! Thanks for the comment Rich and taking the time to provide such an extensive analogy. Point taken.
    Nov 9, 2014. 09:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Challenges As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    GE Smith, thanks for the reference to the small cap dividend series. I must admit I wasn't aware of that. I will take a look.
    Nov 9, 2014. 08:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Challenges As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    alphaplum, I not actively focussed on adding Australian stocks anymore, though I actually find the stock market there is very rich pickings for dividend investors. The market is comprised of many duopolies and oligopolies with high returns on capital that have a consistent and enduring dividend track records. My ownership of Australian dividend stocks is a legacy of the fact that I was there for many years before coming over to the US, and I had no interest in selling quality positions just because I moved.
    I accumulated Australian positions in a big way in 2009, the major banks and some telcos and grocery retailers when prices were beaten down, and I've held them ever since. I selectively still am adding positions, though very infrequently, and I'm looking for global businesses with strong growth and good ROE. In general, I believe that I own most everything in the Australian market that fits my criterion.
    Australia maintains a tax treaty with the US that means the dividends are taxed at the same rates as US dividends
    Nov 8, 2014. 08:45 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Challenges As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Bluesky, I haven't invested much in reits as I'm not so inclined to own investment structures that are very heavily levered and cash flow sensitive to interest rates. Many reits also employ complex tax structures that return capital aren't particularly opaque to me, so I've generally avoided them.

I am going to continue to add to some classic dividend stocks, but I'm gravitating to those companies that have a better growth profile , revenue growth in the mid to high single digits, and eps growth in the double digits. Stocks like Hershey, McCormick, Colgate and CHD fit that bill. I own both Hershey and McCOrmick, and I'm waiting for better value on the others.
    Nov 8, 2014. 08:11 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Challenges As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Tennkid, boring, actual is really good in my view. My core dividend holdings are large banks and telcos that are for the most part steady and predictable. I really do think you need to have these types of companies at your core to provide stability and a good income base, which is why I don't want to sell any of them. The question that I've been wrestling with is do I want a portfolio that consists exclusively of these companies or should I weight more to a growth mix. Not speculative stocks, but dividend payers with a solid foundation that have strong market drivers, yet sustainable and stable business models, just that they pay lower yields.
    At the end of the day, I do want to accumulate an income portfolio, so while I do have a sizeable index investment, I still want to accumulate dividend income.
    Nov 7, 2014. 10:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Challenges As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    BuyandHold, Of course you are correct. A 4 year time period is too little against which to evaluate long term performance of companies that have enduring long term records, and which is why I am content to hold on to what I have. It is getting harder for me to double down and buy more of some of the classic aristocrats, less because of static price performance and more because of tepid, possibly even declining operational growth. One or two years a business doesn't make, but it's getting increasingly more difficult for me to work out whether the sales declines for KO and MCD are market noise or something more structural. Again, no intent to sell any of these proven champions that I already own.
    Nov 7, 2014. 10:11 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Challenges As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    The one thing that stands the large cap dividend payers in good stead is the stability of their positions. The only thing that MCD and KO may not be able to defend against or adapt quick enough to is changing consumer positions and changing market tastes, otherwise they'll trounce rival carbonated beverages or other burger and fries restaraunts.
    Having said that, I also like companies that have tail winds at their back, and Visa, Starbucks and Nike have those tailwinds in spades in my opinion.
    Nov 7, 2014. 09:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Challenges As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Fuzzy, you could be right about small cap dividends being an oxymoron. Generally if you are paying out cash as a small company , it may suggest you aren't high growth. Interestingly small cap dividend payers are actually fairly prevalent in the Australian market, and I've had some good success with these.

I'm beginning to find a preference for the lower yield higher growth. I'm happy to hold companies that have longevity on their side, which tends to be the case for the higher yield, classic dividend payers. I do seem to prefer those companies that are operationally on a strong footing. For some reason, that appears to be more of the low yielders. I think because I have a reasonable dividend income already, I'm happy to wait for a small initial yield to turn into a bigger income over time.
    Nov 7, 2014. 07:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Challenges As A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Thanks Deer Creek. I also favor a dividend income strategy as a pathway for long term investing success. I think I have luck and good timing to thank for some good results because I'm not sure I have the right temperament to be just buy sit back and hold. Steady accumulation suits my style though.
    Nov 7, 2014. 07:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: MasterCard's Q3 Demonstrates Why It's A Favorite Growth Stock [View article]
    Thanks Chuck. Do you mean CurrentC? That's the MCX attempt to kill of interchange by leveraging an ACH rail. I'll worry about this more if MCX can actually get their initiative off the ground and launch a viable product. I already see signs of MCX fracturing at the seams. Retailers haven't been able to resist the lure of Apple Pay, and no longer want to be exclusive to MCX (which is a condition of the consortium). That's the tough things with consortiums, they can very rarely agree on product specs and align interests. As a result they fail to launch and miss crucial market entry points.
    Of course, not everything is a bed of roses for Visa and MA, and interchange lawsuits will continue to be a challenge. But boy, I really like what they have assembled here and am happy to take my chances long term with them. I've amassed substantial holdings in both.
    Nov 1, 2014. 01:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Baidu's Q3 Displays The Power Of Its Market Position [View article]
    David, thanks for the clarification of the relative mobile search performance in Q2 vs Q3.
    Nov 1, 2014. 12:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment