Integrator

View Integrator's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My Strategy For Objective, Emotionless Dividend Growth Investing: Q1 2015 Update [View article]
    Absolutely, in USD terms capital and dividend income have been declining... that's why I haven't been adding any more capital to my aussie positions. I'm aiming to just grow my $US positions.
    Apr 5, 2015. 12:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    2Reb, I guess that's the beauty of me being the guinea pig, others can follow along without needing to commit their own capital! I have significant assets of my own invested in a low cost S&P index, which has done really well over the last 6 years.
    However, I'm attracted to this mode of investing for a few reasons. I firstly want to self select a group of solid dividend paying stocks. There are many companies in the S&P that offer no dividends at all. Secondly, I think that a focus on companies with solid moats and good competitive advanatages should outperform companies that don't have this. It's a theory, it will be interesting to see if its correct.
    As I said above, as long as Seeking Alpha exists, I'll continue to post my results and performance here every quarter, for the forseeable future
    Apr 5, 2015. 09:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    quaerere,

In my view, low interest rate/high interest rate environments fluctuate with economic conditions. That's just the nature of the beast. There have been high interest rate environments a number of times since the 1970's...and stocks have still survived and thrived since then. I'm investing for the next 30 years +, over which time you'll likely see both low and higher interest rate environments. Stocks will under and over perform during this time. I'll be accumulating at higher and lower valuations. I think I'll still come out ahead, but with no crystal ball to say for sure. That's why I'm picking by businesses, carefully. I believe they are ones that can perform in any economic environment, because of their competitive advantages. Time will tell, and I'll continue to provide updates here as long as the SA platform is around!
    Apr 4, 2015. 09:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ping, I think different people have different views on what a moat is. In my opinion, its the ability to consistently earn above cost of capital on a long term basis, with such advantage typically attributable to a competitive advantage which could be IP, legal protection, economies of scale, least cost advantage etc.
    Apr 4, 2015. 09:36 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    John,

thanks for the comment. Wow!. Thats some solid dividend income you have. Personally, I'm not all that comfortable having all my dividend income come from just 5 stocks, concentrated amongst biotech and tech. Agree that this could work well if you are very well versed in the space, I don't have that level of insight there. I'd also be a little concerned with disruption risk in these spaces, as the next innovator comes along and develops another biotech breakthrough. That's much less likely (in my opinon) with some of these traditional services, consumer products businesses. Best of luck!
    Apr 4, 2015. 09:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the link to longrundata!. Had no idea about this site, some very good data.
    Apr 4, 2015. 09:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Rose....I'm really looking forward to see how my strategy plays out alongside my existing 401k accumulation of s&p 500 index, and the set of growth stocks and existing Australian dividend players I have. But for a time machine to have a little peak at this account balance and dividend income stream 15 years into the future!
    Apr 3, 2015. 04:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    To the points above, I agree that COP maybe exposed a little here if oil's price stays at these levels for extended periods. I understand XOM has a better pool of lower cost reserves and should emerge unscathed given this core advantage. So while I may have misjudged COP's moat, I think oil prices will eventually emerge from these levels. I wonder if that may cause morningstar analysts to upgrade COP's moat eventually back to narrow.

Nonetheless, was a bit of an error on my part to include price takers as wide moats for accumulation. That said, I'm a long way from giving up on COP in the portfolio.
    Apr 3, 2015. 04:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Very satisified with my due diligence on this. They have the appropriate guarantees on account that you would get with more established brokerages in terms of asset protection, offer a legitimate help desk, customer service etc. Of course, there are alternatives like Loyal3 and a few others, but I'm happy with motif this far. My strategy wouldn't be possible with a more established brokerage, as it would just be prohibitively expensive.
    Apr 3, 2015. 08:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Big Thunder, yeah its a bit of a concern.... however I for one don't believe oil prices will remain at these levels long term. They should rise once supply and demand imbalance resolves itself, which will happen as expensive capacity comes offline. Also I guess its just one position in my 30, so I'm happy to see how things go with this
    Apr 3, 2015. 08:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    High on Divs,
    I do believe that XOM, Lowes do have pretty good moats. If you look at returns on capital and on equity, they've been comfortably earning above cost of capital for an extended period of time.
    Conoco Philips moat may be eroding with declining oil prices. I concede I may have got this one wrong.
    Verizon's moat is still pretty good if you ask me. Licensing, capex cost and spectrum serve as large barriers to entry. Only the biggest survive in telecom long term. Sprint and T-Mo will eventually be also rans, because they dont cover costs (ie large losses), and don't appear to have any strategy to do so.
    Apr 3, 2015. 08:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Steve, I'm pretty happy with my 2.2% effective yield. That may not be enough for some... I have a nice dividend pile I'm sitting on already, which I want to enhance and fortify over the next 10-15 years.

Being a partner in these high quality businesses over that time frame and consistently picking up these dividends will do me just fine. Of course, I realize my approach isn't for everyone.
    Apr 3, 2015. 08:48 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks sjf310, my strategy is really a very long term one, with accumulation in good times and bad. I'm aware I may not be buying at bargain basement now. By the same token, times will eventually switch and that's when I'll make out well.
    Apr 3, 2015. 08:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    zulu- shaka, no idea how markets and valuations will move once rate cycle happens. That's why my plan is to just invest consistently and regularly over different cycles
    Apr 3, 2015. 08:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding Fastenal [View article]
    Thanks user, Grainger also looks like a good way to play the space as well. strong roe, good growth, discount to fair value. I think FAST has slightly better growth profile, but Grainger looks like it warrants further investigation also
    Apr 1, 2015. 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment