Integrator

View Integrator's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How Johnson & Johnson Is Helping Me With My Coca Cola Investment [View article]
    Thanks bob, appreciate it.
    Aug 25 09:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Strongly agree. Second guessing cost me with JNJ. I'm happy to let this transformation period play out for coke.
    Aug 25 09:41 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I'll have to add that to my set of tools for next time rudester!
    Aug 25 09:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Wretched, agree, it's possible coke may not share the same fate and rebound like JNJ. But I'm at least determined to give the company time to do what JNJ managed to do from a similar situation, without immeadiately hitting the sell button.
    Aug 25 09:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jstratt, not necessarily to buy Coke, but to recognize that Coke has some very strong assets and capabilities that mean it can withstand some weak growth, and that the stock shouldn't necessarily be sold because of a few years of muted growth and a sideways share price. Never write off great companies.
    Aug 25 09:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Jon...I do like the Coca Cola Armageddon analogy ! Significantly, I like that they are investing for the future also and aren't just sitting around for carbonated beverages to recover in north america
    Aug 25 09:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ex-coke, fair enough, but that underestimates the brand power of coke. Interestingly enough, you do tend to find a large bunch of consumers who stay loyal to a given brand and don't switch...irrespective of cost, to cheaper alternatives. At the end of the day, a few dollars doesn't seem large a large sacrifice, even in tough times.
    Aug 25 09:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Jim, sounds like you have yourself some good long term positions in both stocks. I'd love to have JNJ in my portfolio again, but I'll look for a better point of entry. My coke position is staying firmly put !
    Aug 25 09:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Visa: Why Younger Dividend Investors Should Not Ignore Low Yield [View article]
    Great move chuck. I first purchased MA just after the float. Foolishly, in pursuit of higher dividend yielding stocks. I sold it a substantial amount off for a 3-4x return a few years later. I since bought back in at $350 ish (pre split), and have owned Visa at $110 (when I was worried it was a touch expensive-- but still went ahead and bought because I figured it would grow into its valuation-- fortunate).

Both have provided very nice gains to date, and I expect plenty more going forward. They are cash generating machines with huge ROE's. If only every position in my portfolio was as robust....
    Aug 25 05:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I feel eventually they will bump up the dividend.... it's just a matter of time. Payout ratio seems to naturally go up in many companies across many sectors once the business matures.
    Aug 25 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I like both, and hold a lot of both. Each is a very strong player in a cosy duopoly (or oligopoly, if you include Amex) with strong market power and pricing power. I don't think you can go wrong holding either for the long term.
    Aug 25 05:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    interesting point booban. making a comparison with one company financial's in a certain industry and anothers financials in a different industry may not really be very informative if you are trying to draw valuation comparisons, which I wasn't.

The point I was trying to make is that you can do all this backward looking analysis and get depressed by a stock not moving anywhere and conclude that a company's best days are behind it. However, there is a reason that company's with an enduring competitive advantage tend to keep surviving and reinventing themselves.
    While a company's stock price may be down and out and growth may be tepid for a time, company's with some enduring competitive advantage still manage, to eventually turn things around, through investment, refocussing organic growth or otherwise.
    I missed that lesson with JNJ because of too much of a focus on recent problems, not paying enough attention to a history of survival and reinvention. I think Coca Cola's shares a lot of similar attributes. I'm keen not to make a similar misstep because of temporary flatness and market underperformance. Sometimes we can do all this analysis and miss latent strength in a company's moat.
    Aug 25 12:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    thanks 1627, appreciate it
    Aug 25 12:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google: Payments About To Go Into Overdrive [View article]
    Daoldbuick,

To explain this a little further, my feeling is that Apple will launch with an embedded secure element within the iphone 6 (so leveraging a device based secure element, rather than a cloud based secure element) which would be used to store payment credentials, loyalty coupons etc. Passbook is a reference to the Apple wallet that allows you to store your loyalty cards and tickets from merchants.
    The way I expect this will work is NFC will allow you to scan and transmit data that is held in the Apple passbook wallet (your fandango movie tix for example), and have them transmitted direct to the merchant point of sale in store for a clean user experience.
    Aug 23 04:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Visa And MasterCard Will Win In Mobile Due To HCE [View article]
    To disrupt MA or V will take a feat of massive proportions. Someone with a massive embedded consumer base, strong merchant relationships and a killer value proposition to merchants to encourage them to adopt. MCX is trying, but consortiums have too many conflicted interests that ultimately bring them undone. Cryptocurriences are something to watch for, but it will be years before they have sufficient scale and broadbased acceptance to be a serious challenge. Odds suggest that these currencies will play niche roles in money transfer and as store of value.
    The wild card is really could someone like an Paypal, Google, Amazon essentially displace MA or V with an ACH or alternative payment rail. PayPal's instore struggles are pretty plain for most to see. There is no value proposition compelling consumers to pay with PayPal. Until that changes, they will not succeed in store. Unless Google, Amazon want to become banks or partner with banks, I don't see them disrupting MA or Visa either. But if anyone could do it, I would put my money on a Google, Apple, Amazon or Facebook introducing some type of banking service to their customer base. The trend for these companies appears to be that they are content on leveraging the existing payment rails for the moment. I addressed this topic before here http://bit.ly/1tvNgiQ
    Aug 23 12:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment