Integrator

View Integrator's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Starbucks Q2 '15 Buy [View article]
    Bytheseat, swift movers.

I wouldn't say a Series as such. I've settled on regularly buying 30 stocks on quarterly basis for increasing dividend income, and potentially strong total returns.

I document all my buys on a quarterly basis to show the progress and the results to the SA community. I'll likely add the prices that I get for each quarterly purchase as an additional metric from now on. It will be interesting to look back in 5 years, 10 years and 20 years time to see whether this was intelligent portfolio allocation, or complete delusion ! I'm hoping the former!!

I'm hoping to get solidly rising dividend income, but I'd be lying if I said that consistent outperformance of a broad index like the S&P 500 wasn't also an objective of my portfolio allocation.

So in forthcoming articles, you;ll see details of all the other 29 buys that were done in the 2nd quarter and how the positions are faring.
    Jun 22, 2015. 08:05 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Starbucks Q2 '15 Buy [View article]
    harkvasa, even 14% annually would be a fantastic return. Essentially capital would double just over 5 years. I have my expectations set a little lower, but given the stock has returned 25% since 1992, and 13% annually in the last 10 years, and 28% annually over the last 5 years, perhaps thats not a bad range.
    Jun 22, 2015. 08:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My 30 Stocks For 30 Years: Starbucks Q2 '15 Buy [View article]
    Swift, I have no idea where this thing moves in the next few weeks. But I feel confident I'm going to be very happy where this ends up 20 years later...
    Jun 22, 2015. 07:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    Ha ha! Thanks for the feedback. Good to know. Sometimes I feel I have too great a love for moats. I guess it shows in this article.
    Jun 20, 2015. 11:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    Smallstep, I have an effective yield on my portfolio of about 2.3%. I understand for some folks this may be too low, but based on the businesses I've selected, this is what my portfolio yield netted out to be. I don't require income for probably another 20 years, so I'm happy to let this steadily grow over time into substantially more dividend income.
    Jun 19, 2015. 10:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    Seanthome, best of luck with your strategy. I haven't been more at peace with my investing since I started this.
    Jun 19, 2015. 10:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    maybenot, I look at a combination of numerical and qualitative factors. By the numbers, I'm focussed on high returns on equity, or at least earning beyond cost of capital (I prefer ROE >15%). Qualitative factors include existence of switching costs, intellectual property, network effects etc.
    Jun 19, 2015. 10:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    Charles many thanks for your feedback. In fairness, so as not to blight all small caps, I should state that I didn't happen to have too much success with them as dividend payers. That's not too say that all people will experience the same consequences with small cap dividend payers. I imagine if selected right, they could do wonders for total return and dividend income.
    Jun 19, 2015. 10:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    poortorich, I think you can actually just do really well just focussing on d category. c's have plenty of upside, but scaling from mid too large is no easy feat. Many companies fail to make this transition and meander. The pathway to success if not as easy as it seems.
    Jun 19, 2015. 05:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Pancake,

Its a great question, the one about what the goals for my portfolio are.

At a very base level, its to generate a level of income from the portfolio that will satisify my expenses in retirement. I don't want or intend to sell off any of the portfolio. The base will remain untouched and I want to live off the income. I'll augment dividend income with rental income. I'm starting with a pretty solid base dividend income already. So I think this should be an achievable goal long term.

But I have to be honest though, outperformance of the S&P 500 is a secondary goal. I can't believe that I couldn't do any better than a broad based index of over 500 companies, many of which have no moats or middling economics. This isn't necessary for me, I'll just be bummed on a personal level if I haven't managed to achieve that over say 10 years.
    Jun 19, 2015. 05:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    SDS,

I'm not completely against mid cap and small caps. But the way I've decided to invest in them is a one time buy, in very small amounts. The nature of these companies is that you'll make a killing if these businesses turn out to be really successful, irrespective of whether you invest $2,000 or $10,000. Conversely, if they fail, there is a big difference in what you will lose I don't see the need to accumulate them or take on greater risk than necessary. I do still hold some small/mid caps, but not for dividends, and in small parcel sizes. They will provide upside to my retirement plan. They won't form the base of it.
    Jun 19, 2015. 05:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Theodore,

I do this in a taxable account. Ideally, I'd do this in a tax deferred account, but my 401k doesn't allow self selection, and its being maxxed out with an index fund.

I am planning to regularly reinvest all dividends and just keeping buying my index. The examples I've illustrated proved to me that this is the right pathway for me.

I don't use, and don't plan to use stop loss orders. These are long term investments that I want to give to eventually give to my kids. The worst thing I want to do is sell to early because of some algorithimic market gyrations.
    Jun 19, 2015. 04:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    Paper_stax, I have done all the same things. Feeling remorse if stocks drop in price, feeling emotional about investments that have gone bad. Part of the discipline is just controlling all those things. I admit, I also don't do a very good job of it. But regular, scheduled investing in small amounts helps me manage it. The daily, weekly losses are small. If investments are down, I know I 'm going to be back shortly buying more. I don't feel a great need to rush out and buy something just because its fallen in price. I've settled on a path that tries to take all of the emotion and attachment out of managing an investment portfolio.
    Jun 19, 2015. 04:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    MrStoner, I'm glad its just small amounts!. One could have likely done far worse.
    Jun 19, 2015. 04:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution Of My Approach To Dividend Income [View article]
    Thanks maybenot, appreciate your feedback.
    Jun 19, 2015. 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment