Integrator

View Integrator's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Accumulating Colgate [View article]
    I think the idea of assessing whether you could get by if you lost the dividend income of one of the positions in your portfolio is the right one. A 7% hit seems like a lot to me, wheras say 2-3% may not be as bad. All depends on your circumstances and how much dividend income you have I think.
    May 13, 2015. 07:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Accumulating Colgate [View article]
    That's with dividends reinvested, but even still just goes to show how holding companies with long term advantages can create significant long term wealth.
    May 13, 2015. 07:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Accumulating Colgate [View article]
    I don't mind the underperformance. It makes for better value for my accumulation!. I'm confident this is a company to bottom drawer and check in with after 15 years.
    May 13, 2015. 07:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Accumulating Colgate [View article]
    Not sure its terribly expensive here. Morningstar and S&P both have target prices above current valuation.
    May 13, 2015. 07:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Accumulating Colgate [View article]
    awayk, CL isn't bargain basement, but I dont think its terribly expensive here.

Motif facilitates purchases in individual equities. Thus my account allocates me a specific number of shares in Colgate each type I make a motif purchase.
    May 13, 2015. 07:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Accumulating Colgate [View article]
    Greg, not wrong about CL's moat size. I 'd say the only companies that could rival this maybe Visa or Mastercard in terms of depth of moat, and they are arguably more subject to technology disruption.
    May 13, 2015. 07:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Accumulating Colgate [View article]
    If you think the 10 year chart looks good, just take a look at CL performance vs S&P since 1977. Makes for nice viewing!
    May 13, 2015. 07:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Accumulating Colgate [View article]
    Thanks for the comment CapeCap. It really is a phenomenal moat that Colgate possesses. I think very few companies have a moat of this quality.
    May 13, 2015. 07:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding GE [View article]
    Robert, good question. I thought through this long and hard also before doing what I am doing. My thoughts in brief, and I'm sure different people have different views on the merits of the strategy.
    1. With a fund like VIG, you are effectively taking positions in close to 100 stocks, all of which have business models of varying strength, and which get turned over to varying degrees. You are just outsourcing the work for someone else to manage and select
    2. My focus is on picking the best businesses that I think have the best chance of lasting the distance, and that have strong business models and unique competitive advantages. VIG certainly has a bunch of these businesses, but there are a number of others that I'm not sure I'd be happy holding.
    3. At the end of the day, its probably just personal preference. I do own index funds myself, and I think they are a great way to go about building wealth and a diversified portfolio. I may have a bit of an attachment to the businesses that I'm building. I follow them, I'm interested to learn more about them. I understand how they make money, what their drivers are. I couldn't say the same for many of the things in VIG. That's not necessarily an approach for everyone, and those that don't want such a hands on approach, having your money in VIG and watching it grow is probably just fine.
    May 8, 2015. 08:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding GE [View article]
    Silli, fair point. I agree that's likely to continue being a nice earner for GE, and lead to some steady earnings with manageable capital risk (more akin to a captive commercial leasing arm). Thanks for the catch.
    May 8, 2015. 08:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding GE [View article]
    Thanks for point that out- must have been a typo in linking.
    May 8, 2015. 08:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding GE [View article]
    Bertran, I did actually manage to snaffle up some shares when GE was trading at $25. I'm looking to keep adding the stock consistently and regularly over a number of years, so a few near term spikes, dips dont really concern me at this point.
    May 8, 2015. 08:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding GE [View article]
    Steve,
    Appreciate your perspective. I'm trying to keep a longer term perspective beyond the next few years, and realize that things may be slim pickings as far as dividend growth is concerned during this period. That's okay with me. The broader macro and industry drivers for the stock appear net positive to me thus its one that I feel I can grow a position with over the next 10 or so years. Time will tell if this decision was correct. I know that people who have pursued similar strategy over the last 10 aren't universally happy. In GE's favor is a long term record that looks pretty good.
    May 8, 2015. 08:36 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding GE [View article]
    Gprattalpha, I think thats a positive sign for long term conviction in the business. Insider buying is a net positive in my opinion
    May 8, 2015. 08:32 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding CVS [View article]
    Rich- spot on.

I share your sentiments about lower current yield and faster growth. In addition to great near term total returns, these stocks are a great tax shelter, allow gains to compound tax free in the interim, but allowing the dividend spigots to provide a good income flow when required longer term. The alternative would be to shelter high current yield names in retirement accs, but I don't have that option unfortunately.

So while I have my share of VZ's and BP's, I also have a bunch of MA's, V's and CVS's that will power my dividend income in years to come, when I really need it to flow. I enjoy some nice tax free gains till then.
    May 8, 2015. 08:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment