Integrator

View Integrator's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Why Your Portfolio's Long-Term Dividend Growth Rate Is Your Total Return [View article]
    Solid, clear and impressive logic. A great article that lays out in a compelling way the connection between dividend growth, stock appreciation and total return. Nice job! Thanks also for the link.
    Jan 23 06:19 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Adding Starbucks [View article]
    Ry1982, thats forward PE of 24 :) . Historical PE is not so applicable for SBUX given the large litigation charge they took in 2013 that distorted 2013 earnings... so 230x PE is misleading
    Sep 14 09:51 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Recent Price Weakness May Present A Buying Opportunity [View article]
    Houdini, McDonald's efforts to reengage the millennials are still pretty nascent, so I think it's a bit soon to right them off!. Using tech as a way to engage a younger base has worked for other mature co's such as Starbucks, some of the banks. I'm not counting out MCD just yet.
    Aug 28 05:38 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Buy For Yield, Stay For Growth [View article]
    jstratt,
    great question. i was in a similar bind with JNJ just a couple of years ago. The company had flattish revenues, was on the back of a big acquisition of Synthes that I was skeptical about (in my experience, acquisitions tend to always be botched went integrated). It was 2012, and I sold off JNJ thinking it's growth days were behind it. I maintained that view even in early 2013. I forever immortalized my folly on JNJ here: http://bit.ly/1ngnIB9.
    Fast forward a couple of years and the stock trades over $100, after I disposed it for mid $60's . I may have got it wrong with JNJ, but that's not a bet I'm willing to take with Coca Cola. Coke are making the investments in growing segments....these take time to show through in overall growth when your major money maker is flatish in it's major markets.
    My lesson from JNJ experience....never write off great companies. That's not a mistake I'm willing to repeat again with Coke.
    Aug 21 07:21 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Strategies For Younger Investors [View article]
    Thanks for the feedback Mo Money 79. I recently added MCD to my portfolio as well. I hold the bulk of my positions in a taxable account as I plan to live off my dividend income well before retirement age, if things work out!
    Integrator
    Mar 5 09:20 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Dividend Investing Creates Wealth And Income [View article]
    Pompano:
    Thanks for the comment. The scenario you outline with stronger economic growth should also be good for the businesses paying dividends. In fact, I'd expect them to be generating stronger profits and higher dividends in such a scenario, even with rising bond yields.
    Integrator
    Jan 21 05:25 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: Wireless Growth Drivers Still Appear Strong [View article]
    Veritas,
    I agree with your overall conclusions. I think T can comfortably move forward with a steady 5%+ dividend, with dividend increases at least consistent with inflation. That's a pretty steady solid locked in return in you ask me.
    Aug 31 06:20 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Q4 2013 Update [View article]
    $700k+
    Jan 6 09:18 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Growth Portfolio Strategy [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Iainvest. Actually yields in Australia are well north of whats on offer in the US market, so its certainly not a million dollar portfolio, more like 65-70% of that. We prioritized aggressive saving from pretty early on by trying to manage expenses. Its been more difficult to achieve high savings rates with kids, but we still try to manage expenses as best as we can.
    I think a 10% position would be an absolutely maximum. Most of my positions in the portfolio are managed to levels closer to 5%, but your point is well taken. I think it would take a very special situation to even consider anything close to a 10% position.

I have my positions in a taxable account because its has always been our plan to draw from the dividend income in advance of retirement to live off. I was only recently made aware of the 72t withdrawal provision by other contributors on Seeking Alpha that allows one to withdraw equal amounts from retirement accounts prior to 59 1/2 years. That's something I need to investigate further.
    Mar 11 05:39 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Investors Should Be Cautious Of 'Artificial' Dividend Growth [View article]
    Wigit5, No problems, I understand. Hope you don't expect any stocks that cant grow earnings or cashflow to keep increasing your dividends!.
    Integrator
    Feb 11 03:42 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Frankly, I would be stunned if a dividend investor didn't appreciate the connection between growing earnings and growing dividends. I know people have been stressing that this is missing in the article but, this seems way to fundamental a linkage to not assume some basic understanding of. Where else would they think these dividends would be coming from? Fueled by debt for 20 years? Increasing the payout ratio for 20 years? I'm not even sure thats possible without some growth in earnings over this period. I think its fair to assume the author implied this without explicitly stating it.
    Jan 25 08:58 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BP: For Income Investors, It Pays To Look Past Russian Fears And The Gulf Spill [View article]
    drill deeper, cash flows from Rosneft are limited to the dividends paid by Rosneft to BP. From my understanding, in 2013, this was $460M, in 2014, $700M. In either case, from a cashflow perspective, its ~2% of operating cash flow in each year (BP will likely do $30B in op cash flow in 2014).

Of course, one can claim that BP's ownership of the underlying cash flows of Rosneft is more given its investment... but I'm looking at the direct cash flow impact that Rosneft provides to BP, and I still make this circa 2% of BP's operating cash flows.
    Sep 13 10:01 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: Wireless Growth Drivers Still Appear Strong [View article]
    Both AT&T and Verizon look to be in solid health. Gross margins are hovering around 60% for each. Compare that with Sprint and TMobile in the mid 40's. I also see risk of discounting in the lower, more price sensitive parts of the market. Sprint and TMobile are largely competing between themselves with aggressive discounting and other value providers for this market. I don't see Verizon and AT&T being sucked into going down this route.
    Aug 31 06:28 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Johnson & Johnson Is Helping Me With My Coca Cola Investment [View article]
    interesting point booban. making a comparison with one company financial's in a certain industry and anothers financials in a different industry may not really be very informative if you are trying to draw valuation comparisons, which I wasn't.

The point I was trying to make is that you can do all this backward looking analysis and get depressed by a stock not moving anywhere and conclude that a company's best days are behind it. However, there is a reason that company's with an enduring competitive advantage tend to keep surviving and reinventing themselves.
    While a company's stock price may be down and out and growth may be tepid for a time, company's with some enduring competitive advantage still manage, to eventually turn things around, through investment, refocussing organic growth or otherwise.
    I missed that lesson with JNJ because of too much of a focus on recent problems, not paying enough attention to a history of survival and reinvention. I think Coca Cola's shares a lot of similar attributes. I'm keen not to make a similar misstep because of temporary flatness and market underperformance. Sometimes we can do all this analysis and miss latent strength in a company's moat.
    Aug 25 12:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Portfolio: Evaluating AT&T [View article]
    Mandolin,
    Thanks for your feedback. Well, I know where I am today and where I want to get to. I have a plan based on reinvestment plus new capital and dividend increases to propel me there. Is it possible that I won't hit my goal in exactly 5 years? Sure. But I will work toward it nevertheless.
    Dec 10 07:38 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment