Intelligent Speculator

View Intelligent Speculator's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Facebook Reports Impressive Results But It's Only Getting Started [View article]
    I think there were some legit concerns about mobile but in my opinion, if you have the service that is used as much as FB products are, there's no reason you can't monetize and Facebook has been executing on this very well
    Jul 26 07:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    jstratt - I agree 100% with you.. no sense for any of us in picking out stocks that we don't get
    Jul 26 07:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    No, it will close later this year
    Jul 26 07:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    ha!! Nice entry point:)
    Jul 26 07:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the feedback Jose! Glad to see you bought some FB!
    Jul 26 07:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Biggest Battle Yet For Ecosystems (Apple, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon) [View article]
    Yes, and I'd argue that most major players have "some" type of presence for all of those
    Apr 17 06:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @heyo - Google is a player, and could contend but I don't think anyone would call Google a winner in social at this point, would you?
    Apr 16 04:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    @MarketLost - or because that is not the current focus and that it believes its longer term profits will be better served by focusing on improving its product, infrastructure, etc.
    Apr 9 05:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    I appreciate the feedback but that is exactly what I mean. Amazon has needed to build an infrastructure and while that's not done, it's more challenging to compare profitability.
    Apr 9 05:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    Increased volume mostly, more negotiating power with suppliers, etc.
    Apr 9 05:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    I do agree that they will always co-exist, but I also believe that they already compete with each other and that will only increase over time. When Amazon starts selling grocery, tv's, etc which could easily be purchased at a Walmart, it does create competition between the two.
    Apr 7 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    Very interesting but here is my main point.

If you're building a company that will sell items to customers all over the US that will come shop in your store, then you will be building hundreds of stores, a distribution network, hiring thousands of employees, etc.

If however you build your business as e-commerce/e-ordering company, you'd obviously built in a very very way. Warehouses built in strategic locations both in terms of their location/cost, etc.

I think it'll be very difficult for Walmart and others that built using the first model to compete with Amazon in the 2nd model.
    Apr 7 12:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    Thanks a lot for the feedback. The cloud battle will be a major one and could play out over a decade or more so time will tell but you're right in assuming that Google and Microsoft are formidable.

Loyalty is a challenge but I think that Amazon has built more of it than the tranditional retailer and part of that is by using tactics from Costco. More of it to come I'd assume.
    Apr 7 12:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    It's certainly far from certain that those costs will ever be lower but I think you could make a case that they will at some point.
    Apr 7 12:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    Don't you think that over time, that could change though?
    Apr 7 12:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment