Intelligent Speculator

View Intelligent Speculator's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Biggest Battle Yet For Ecosystems (Apple, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon) [View article]
    Yes, and I'd argue that most major players have "some" type of presence for all of those
    Apr 17 06:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @heyo - Google is a player, and could contend but I don't think anyone would call Google a winner in social at this point, would you?
    Apr 16 04:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    @MarketLost - or because that is not the current focus and that it believes its longer term profits will be better served by focusing on improving its product, infrastructure, etc.
    Apr 9 05:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    I appreciate the feedback but that is exactly what I mean. Amazon has needed to build an infrastructure and while that's not done, it's more challenging to compare profitability.
    Apr 9 05:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    Increased volume mostly, more negotiating power with suppliers, etc.
    Apr 9 05:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    I do agree that they will always co-exist, but I also believe that they already compete with each other and that will only increase over time. When Amazon starts selling grocery, tv's, etc which could easily be purchased at a Walmart, it does create competition between the two.
    Apr 7 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    Very interesting but here is my main point.

If you're building a company that will sell items to customers all over the US that will come shop in your store, then you will be building hundreds of stores, a distribution network, hiring thousands of employees, etc.

If however you build your business as e-commerce/e-ordering company, you'd obviously built in a very very way. Warehouses built in strategic locations both in terms of their location/cost, etc.

I think it'll be very difficult for Walmart and others that built using the first model to compete with Amazon in the 2nd model.
    Apr 7 12:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    Thanks a lot for the feedback. The cloud battle will be a major one and could play out over a decade or more so time will tell but you're right in assuming that Google and Microsoft are formidable.

Loyalty is a challenge but I think that Amazon has built more of it than the tranditional retailer and part of that is by using tactics from Costco. More of it to come I'd assume.
    Apr 7 12:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    It's certainly far from certain that those costs will ever be lower but I think you could make a case that they will at some point.
    Apr 7 12:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    Don't you think that over time, that could change though?
    Apr 7 12:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Quick Take On Amazon [View article]
    I see your point 100%. Not saying this will happen for sure. But I think that if some company, especially a newer one, was going to build something of this magnitude, I don't think it would have been possible without these multi-billion $ investments. Point taken though.
    Apr 7 12:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why TripAdvisor Should Consider Acquiring OpenTable [View article]
    @JohanLinden - Had considered that one yes, it's an interesting idea
    Mar 11 05:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Believer In Netflix... It's Not Too Late [View article]
    @HStern - Same reason that Google never breaks down Youtube, competitive reasons.. no reason to give any more info than required
    Mar 3 08:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Believer In Netflix... It's Not Too Late [View article]
    Matter of opinion in regards to those who've liked it.. I would be the first person, I'm sure you can manage to find 1 or 2 more
    Mar 3 10:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment