Intrepid Investor

View Intrepid Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dubious IP Makes Achillion Pharma A Stock To Avoid [View article]
    Good reading SPA. Do you care to speculate on whether the Santaris/Roche antisense therapy for HCV (see NEJM http://http://bit.ly/1...), or the one-shot ddRNAi approach of Benitec could disrupt?
    May 23, 2015. 01:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Ford Is A Win/Win For Us [View article]
    Ford's valuations are one of the worst for any large cap I own with an EBIT/EV of 3.5% and declining, return on capital invested (a dubious computation) of 4.5%. I think the author is saying Ford is a growth story and, implicitly, that metrics are secondary. I think I agree and will continue to hold F.
    May 20, 2015. 08:32 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sanderson Farms Beat The Shorts? [View article]
    Michael, lot's of good information in your article. I looked at long-term price on Y-chart of SAFM, and of a price overlay on EPS using FastGraphs. Both are reassuring to me as a long term investor - I must say I'm impressed that investors support the stock so well during times when EPS turns negative.
    May 15, 2015. 02:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Just What Is Invested Capital Anyway? [View article]
    SID, I'm glad you read my work, and hope it is helpful to you. Thanks for the compliment. Regards, Intrepid
    May 15, 2015. 01:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Air T - An Interesting, Uncovered Small-Cap, With A Stable Business That Rewards Patient Investors [View article]
    "throwing cash out of the window" has been my major concern as well. So far, he seems to be diverting cash previously paid out as dividends into other companies instead of reinvesting as promised:
    May 12, 2015. 02:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Versus Celgene: Value Play Versus Reinvestment Opportunity [View article]
    Based on Q1 figures, Gilead's EBIT/EV is nearly 14%. But did you read the article by Small Pharma Analyst?

It's good to listen to different points of view, and I enjoyed that one. After all the reading and number cruching, I just want to own shares in well managed companies that are doing important work.
    Apr 30, 2015. 08:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stronger First Quarter Sales Help Roche, But ASCO Probably Matters More [View article]
    I'm glad you wrote again about Roche - very informative and well-written.
    Apr 28, 2015. 11:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Surface 3 And Apple Watch - Red Oceans Vs. Blue Oceans [View article]
    Adam Hartung, well written! You have a new follower!
    Apr 4, 2015. 02:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Seattle Genetics: The Long View [View article]
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear....
    Paranoia strikes deep
    Into your life it will creep
    It starts when you're always afraid...
    Mar 12, 2015. 11:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Update Feb 28 - The Stock Market, Interest Rates And Much More [View instapost]
    If you like telecom, you may want to look at ALSK. After reading some SA posts, and crunching on the numbers for a while (difficult for me due to the recent asset sale), I concluded ALSK has a lot of upside, plus I just like the thrill of microcaps (don't tell any fund managers - I'm not done buying yet). Regards, Intrepid
    Feb 28, 2015. 09:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I believe you! Thanks for that post. What do you think of DAL's nemesis, ALK? Intrepid
    Feb 28, 2015. 08:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Impeccable Quality, But There Are No Bargains Today In The S&P 500 Consumer Staples Sector: Part 8 [View article]
    Chuck, FAST Graphs nicely shows how cyclical SAFM has been, but in 2012 it became pretty cheap, and its gotten cheaper every year since. Here are SAFM earnings yields computed as EBIT/EV from 2011 thru 2014, and the 2015 run rate:
    -13.6% 7.8% 12.1% 18.9% 23.2%
    Here are my ROIC computations:
    -22.2% 12.5% 26.5% 40.3% 46.0%
    Any comment?
    Feb 26, 2015. 02:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Norsat International Is Overlooked And Undervalued With An "Outsider" Management And History Of Successful Capital Allocation [View article]
    Try NII on Toronto Stock Exchange
    Feb 19, 2015. 01:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 12% In 12 Years [View article]
    snoopy, are you now out of commodities? and what sector do you expect to do best over the next few years?
    Feb 2, 2015. 05:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Have IBM's Share Repurchases Created Value? [View article]
    IBM is downsizing. Shrinking capital whether it creates value or not is a deliberate part of that process - IMHO.
    Jan 23, 2015. 12:58 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment