Invest Chief

View Invest Chief's Comments BY TICKER:

• Come On, Let's Face It, Linn Energy Is A Steal At $9 [View article]
    I agree. The problem I have with this article is the fact that there is a lack of information on the oil side of Linn Energy, rather than just the dividend. Even looking from dividend standpoint, I fail to see the appeal. Income stocks, bonds, etc have been taking a hit over the past few months and the Fed is really starting to get anxious about raising rates. Therefore, I fail to see the appeal in moving into income investments.

Next, the oil picture is still very messy and oil prices are still a ways off from some projected breakeven of around $70 barrel. Overall, I think author is focusing on wrong aspects by looking at technical indicators rather than underlying market conditions and fundamentals. Not to mention, LINE is down nearly -30% from the $9 call in the article.
    Jul 19, 2015. 05:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Cut Portfolio Risk: Mounting Headwinds Take Toll On Aging Bull [View article]

Thanks for the comments. I agree, the low interest rate environment may have had its merits a few years ago with getting growth back into the economy, help entice employers to hire, etc. However, it has been definitely negative for retirement investing and passive income strategies.

As far hearing about market tops throughout the bull market, I am right there with you. Tired of seeing the articles "Dow predicted to crash 40%" or "Dow going to 20,000". Ultimately, these articles are fluff in my opinion. That being said, there is overwhelming factors that suggest the stock market is overvalued and could begin to cave in on itself moving forward.
    May 9, 2015. 10:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Search For Yield: 4 Income ETFs Worth A Look [View article]

I just personally disagree with you. These are geared towards the more actively managed fund side of ETFs and while there are some other options out there for cheaper expense ratios such as SCHD, it is not high yield. High income takes active management and active management is going to cost you more than passive approaches. Ultimately, neither side is wrong, it is purely a difference of risk tolerance.
    Apr 24, 2015. 10:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Search For Yield: 4 Income ETFs Worth A Look [View article]

I agree. Ultimately, I do not see these four expense ratios as particularly burdensome. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for and good, high yielding ETFs are not going to cost the same .05% as a passive index fund. If you are uncomfortable with these fees, then I would suggest low cost index funds only.
    Apr 24, 2015. 09:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Investment Ideas To Play The Energy Sector Bottom [View article]
    I disagree. While the production reduction is minor, it represents the fact that oil drillers are finally realizing that they need to cut production in order to help get prices back up to where they were. While the reduction is small it is the beginning of a "changing attitude" that will ultimately lead prices higher. Also, you must consider demand increases from China and higher demand period for US. I am not saying oil's recovery is straight up, but I think the worst is behind us and ultimately, the energy sector is working its way through recovery.
    Apr 16, 2015. 12:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LUV To SAVE: Falling Oil Gives Airlines Life [View article]
    Absolutely, I think the airline industry in general will perform very well in 2015, regardless. I would agree AAL has made huge strides since its bankruptcy and certainly looks to be making a huge reemergence. I certainly am not bearish or against AAL by any means. However, I just want to be a little more on cautious side due to the airline industry's reputation of struggling when coming out of bankruptcies, mergers, acquisitions, etc. That is not to say AAL will have difficulties in particular, but I just would like to see a successful reemergence and back to sustainable profitability. However, that is just more of my investing style, error on side of caution. But you definitely bring up some good points and I definitely see AAL having a great 2015, along with the rest of the industry.
    Dec 24, 2014. 01:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LUV To SAVE: Falling Oil Gives Airlines Life [View article]
    I personally just see some more time needed to AAL to reemerge from bankruptcy and getting back on track. The company is still getting hubs together and cutting older hubs to be more efficient. While I do think AAL could be a good buy in the next year or so, I think there are better plays out there right now. United Continental is a prime example of struggling to consolidate and growing pains. Fast forward few year to today, United Continental has seemed to fix its bugs and relatively on track.

That being said, I think LUV and SAVE are customer favorites that continue to gain on good customer service and various corporate policies to attract more customers. Additionally, these two strive for lower fares, which is huge for the value seeker trying to fly. I still think LUV will be the best performing airliner of the bunch in 2015.
    Dec 24, 2014. 10:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Turn To Low-Volatility ETFs During Market Uncertainty? Part 1 [View article]
    Small Pharma,

Yes, VDIGX would be another great way to play the bull market. There are endless number of funds that would be suitable candidates. However, for the purposes of this article, I chose to take a look at low volatility ETFs, which would allow a smaller capitalized investor to have a lower cost, properly allocated, and more control over diversification. Low volatility ETFs are a new concept and I think it is important to cover considering that this bull market continues to look sluggish and the Vix looks prime for a rip to the upside.

Apr 27, 2014. 04:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3D Systems Is Most Certainly A Good Buy In 2014 [View article]
    I haven't read the article from Barrons yet, but DDD along with other names in the space have gotten too far ahead of themselves over the past year. Investors are now weighing fact and reality and that is why the price has fallen almost $30 from its peak. However, the long term is certainly bright and I think this is a great long term hold as 3D printers will see increasing demand as prices come down and its functionality extends.
    Mar 8, 2014. 01:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment

Yes, you are correct. As I highlighted in my article, volatility has been nonexistent over the past 5 years, really since 2008. Most of these ETFs started up in past 2 years or so and since the markets had no real volatile movements, they underperformed slightly. However, as we have seen in recent weeks, volatility is coming back and I think as easing is taken off the table and this bull market grows older, these ETFs will start to outperform. It is my belief that these ETFs will help long term investors better withstand the future markets, while still remaining invested.
    Feb 9, 2014. 05:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment

Those are good holdings you have. Contains solid exposure to US and world markets, while helping take the edge off during time of uncertainty. I would agree with you that holding these ETFs makes sense in any market, due to the fact that at some point, the markets will face uncertainty and recession. Good picks! Stay tuned for my second part due out by monday hopefully.
    Feb 9, 2014. 01:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yes there are fears that further easing would hit dividend stocks. However, that would hit "high yielders" more hard such as utility stocks, preferred stocks, in addition to bonds and fixed income. Solid large cap dividend equities are for long term stability in the portfolio. And while they would be hit from loss of easing, everything in the market gets hit without easing because stimulus money is taken out of the market. This ETF finds the most conservative names out of that list of large cap dividend stocks and creating a portfolio of stocks that are suitable for protection during downtrends or periods of uncertainty.
    Feb 7, 2014. 12:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment

Certainly these investments could be held regardless of the state of the Vix, however as I stated in the article, if volatility is very low such as how it has been in the past 5 years, I would say your standard index funds would do the job. The low volatility ETFs really become a solid play and more advantageous than regular index funds during periods of increased Vix.
    Feb 7, 2014. 12:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are We Close To Selling The USD? [View article]
    Technicals on the futures charts certainly say there is more upside potential and it appears that the continuing weakening of the yen is a major support to the bull's thesis. However, as you said, mixed data could be a problem if there is a larger slowdown beginning. Until more data proves otherwise, long USD.
    May 17, 2013. 11:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sell-Off In Gold Has Become Plain Silly [View article]
    A stronger dollar is bad news for gold bulls. With the USD at multiyear highs, stock markets rallying to all time highs in the US and Japan, there is less appeal for "safety" plays. Gold's long term stance still remains bullish as central banks continue to print money.
    May 17, 2013. 11:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment