Invest Yourself

View Invest Yourself's Comments BY TICKER:
DD, GE, INTC, KMB, O, WM, WU
  • My Income Portfolio Update: Exchanging A High-Yield ETF For A Solid-Yield REIT [View article]
    depends on what you term as safe. safe is a relative term that each individual must define for themselves. yes you could probably build a relatively safe portfolio that yields 6-7% up front but yields could depress over time I would say a more realistic goal would be a portfolio that yields 3-4% with consistent annual dividend growth of 5-6% would be much more attainable and peaceful.
    Jul 21 02:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2014) [View article]
    this is a taxable account
    Jul 11 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2014) [View article]
    Lets take a look at IGD for example its 5 year average return is 8.66% according to cefa http://bit.ly/1jbCooQ but the S&P over the same period of time averaged 25% annual returns not factoring in dividends. a person would be better off investing in an S&P index fund instead of a CEF.

As for the other CEF's you mentioned here are there average 5 year returns.
    ETW = 13.76%
    NFJ = 20.52%
    ETV = 15.29%
    ETY = 13.11%
    IHD = (has not been open for 5 years)
    EXG = 12.29%
    IGA = 10.84%
    STK = (has not been open for 5 years)
    GGN = 8.25%

The only CEF that even comes close to matching the broader performance level of the S&P is NFJ and they even fall almost 5% per year short of matching returns during a historical bull market. I personally do not see the appeal of CEF's based solely on return.
    Jul 8 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2014) [View article]
    I have seen very few funds that have a high rate of return of capital that still have their NAV rising, by the time most Closed end funds start using return of capital for payment their NAV is on the decline at least in my experience this is what I have witnessed.
    Jul 8 09:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2014) [View article]
    but return of capital means that you are getting paid back your own money, you are not making new money with return of capital payments.
    Jul 7 08:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2014) [View article]
    Jul 7 08:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2014) [View article]
    well DD was my comglomerate play on chemicals, but overall the chemicals sector has been underperforming lately and I have not found too many good options in that sector. I might consider a stock from that area in my future portfolio diversification action.
    Jul 7 08:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2014) [View article]
    I myself am not a fan of closed end funds I have done significant research and found that the share devaluation over time is not worth the potential for greater returns. Once they start returning capital to make payments thats when you need to start dumping them.
    Jul 7 08:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2014) [View article]
    I am not looking for individual biotechs my general view is that any biotech that is worth their weight will eventually be bought by big pharma anyways. see JNJ PFE MRK
    Jul 7 07:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2014) [View article]
    Thank you for the continued followship
    Jul 7 07:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2014) [View article]
    Thank you for echoing my overall sentiments
    Jul 7 07:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Does Diversification Lead To Lower Quality Of Investments In Dividend Portfolios? [View article]
    I just sold HYG because I feel that high yield bonds are going to fee a price squeeze by the end of summer yields have shrunk to much and do not accurately compensate investors for the risk they have to take.
    Jun 27 09:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I currently utilize a similar approach for my Dividend Growth Portfolio. I was wondering what your feeling is about ETF's when I beleive in a broader concept rather than a specific company I use ETF's in place of specific companies which further help to diversify my risk in that sector. Example: I beleive in pipeline transport companies in general with the us shale gas boom occuring currently so I invested in AMLP instead of pick a specific company. Also I like the relative protection and more reliable income of preferred shares but instead of buying specific preferred shares I purchased the PGX index. I was just curious what your take is on ETF's inside of a DG portfolio.
    Jun 27 09:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the confidence boost, I am trying to prove to many people in my generation that its not how much you put in but for how long you put it in that really matters. Saving is important and I don't think the majority of my generation understands that.
    Jun 25 10:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yes but thats like saying I own a Deer except My Deer is really a duck but its still an animal so its close. Yes the monthly compounding by itself offers a marginal advantage over a long period of time, but As I stated above you have to factor in increasing payments into this formula as I have before you really start to see an advantage over quarterly compounding investments.
    Jun 24 08:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment