Invest Yourself

View Invest Yourself's Comments BY TICKER:
DD, GE, INTC, KMB, O, WM, WU
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2014) [View article]
    bulls make money bears make money and pigs get slaughtered....sometimes it never hurts to realize a profit and take some risk off the table either.
    Oct 10, 2014. 09:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2014) [View article]
    I like DRI for the dividend and brand recognition more than any other restaurant centric company out there specifically there small restaurant growth rates for capital grille and the other craft chain restaurants; however if starboard does acquire control over the DRI board of directors and restructures the way they are talking about I will probably be selling out completely at the height of value gain, I do not like their plan and think they will be the undoing of the franchise.
    Oct 9, 2014. 01:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2014) [View article]
    That is what I am hoping for. a +14% annual increase in dividend payout will start to snowball fast if I can keep that growth rate up. I figure that 4-5% from dividends each year and a 5% increase in dividend payments on an annual basis and then all I need to contribute is an additional 4-5% to reach my +14% annual goal seems like a very reachable goal. as of right now not considering any additional purchases during Q4 my goal for end of the year 2015 is currently set at $2,000.41 That seems like a very reachable goal for end of year next year. again this value is set to change though with any additional purchases during Q4.
    Oct 9, 2014. 01:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2014) [View article]
    I like your approach and I agree that excessive trading can adversely affect your long return strategies. I do not feel that I trade with excessive frequency. Most of the holdings I sell I have held longer than a year, its just that when you do own 25 different stocks that sometimes In a bull market you end up with many overpriced targets that all require a trailing stop-loss be placed against them at least in my investing strategy. I have only placed 7 sale trades through 9 months this year and I currently have no active stop-loss orders so I do not project any more stock sales this year I would say that 7 sales over the course of an entire year based upon 25 holdings is pretty low in the trading frequency window. I also enjoy the lower volatility that my portfolio currently affords me my portfolio beta is only 0.8 so my current holdings offer me a more stable account than owning a market wide ETF. I would be curious to know what your current portfolio beta is for your 10 current holdings?
    Oct 9, 2014. 09:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2014) [View article]
    its there automatic investment model, which I believe has currently changed, when ING owned sharebuilder they had an investment accoutn where if you paid 12 dollars a month you got a discount on trading charges and 12 free automatic investments per month. They have since disabled the signup option for the $12 per month service and automatic investments are now $3.95 per trade. so unless you have it you can't get it anymore. All older accounts have been grandfathered in.
    Oct 9, 2014. 09:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2014) [View article]
    I understand your position 25 stocks can be rather tedious to research and keep up with, I have extra time that I enjoy using for this endeavor I would say that the added peace that comes with increased diversification keeps me from being so eratic with my trading patterns should one of my 10 core holdings in your case start a significant downward trend. Diversification comfort level is something that each investor must decide for themselves. you can be diversified enough in 10 stocks should you pick the right ones. My personal investor state of mind is one that I am looking to land somewhere around 30-40 core stock holdings. I have identified that as my diversification comfort level. as for my purchases using sharebuiler automatic investment plan I actually pay $12 for 12 trades each month. So I basically have 12 1$ buy trades each month at my disposal. I try to keep my annual portfolio expenses around that of the standard ETF's on the market generally around 0.25% - 0.5% which on a portfolio basis of 50,000 dollars would be a cap of $125 - $250, I never even come close to spending this level of money in any of my prior years of managing this portfolio. I have yet to tally my year end expense for this year, I will tally all expenses for the portfolio for this year in my year end Q4 article.
    Oct 8, 2014. 02:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2014) [View article]
    again refer to my explanation above
    Oct 8, 2014. 02:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2014) [View article]
    please see my response above
    Oct 8, 2014. 02:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2014) [View article]
    I does increase my diversification at this level and I am trying to keep from getting top heavy in a few stocks. My goal is to try to raise all stocks at the same dollar value and not get dependent on any one stock for portfolio performance. As far as the taxes go most of my sales are of stocks that I have owned for more than a year so I am not paying taxes based on long term capital gains rates and my current tax bracket. as my tax bracket increases sales will probably be less likely. Yes this is probably not the way that a lot of people would go about it but I derived this strategy based on an by Charles paine that I read a long time ago who talked about the importance of balancing investments based on dollar value so that a 10% gain by one stock cannot get wiped out by a 5% loss in another stock as long as they are around the same dollar a $4,000 dollar stock that gains 10% can be wiped out by a $8,000 investment that loses 5%. This strategy ensures that no one stock dominates the top of my portfolio. you are correct with the extra charges incurred but I mainly incur them on the sales only I use the Sharebuilder automatic investment strategy which gives me 12 free buys each month. so this reduces my purchase cost.
    Oct 8, 2014. 02:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Update: Exchanging A High-Yield ETF For A Solid-Yield REIT [View article]
    depends on what you term as safe. safe is a relative term that each individual must define for themselves. yes you could probably build a relatively safe portfolio that yields 6-7% up front but yields could depress over time I would say a more realistic goal would be a portfolio that yields 3-4% with consistent annual dividend growth of 5-6% would be much more attainable and peaceful.
    Jul 21, 2014. 02:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2014) [View article]
    this is a taxable account
    Jul 11, 2014. 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2014) [View article]
    Lets take a look at IGD for example its 5 year average return is 8.66% according to cefa http://bit.ly/1jbCooQ but the S&P over the same period of time averaged 25% annual returns not factoring in dividends. a person would be better off investing in an S&P index fund instead of a CEF.

As for the other CEF's you mentioned here are there average 5 year returns.
    ETW = 13.76%
    NFJ = 20.52%
    ETV = 15.29%
    ETY = 13.11%
    IHD = (has not been open for 5 years)
    EXG = 12.29%
    IGA = 10.84%
    STK = (has not been open for 5 years)
    GGN = 8.25%

The only CEF that even comes close to matching the broader performance level of the S&P is NFJ and they even fall almost 5% per year short of matching returns during a historical bull market. I personally do not see the appeal of CEF's based solely on return.
    Jul 8, 2014. 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2014) [View article]
    I have seen very few funds that have a high rate of return of capital that still have their NAV rising, by the time most Closed end funds start using return of capital for payment their NAV is on the decline at least in my experience this is what I have witnessed.
    Jul 8, 2014. 09:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2014) [View article]
    but return of capital means that you are getting paid back your own money, you are not making new money with return of capital payments.
    Jul 7, 2014. 08:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment