Invest Yourself

View Invest Yourself's Comments BY TICKER:
DD, GE, INTC, KMB, O, WM, WU
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    to me if you as an investor are paying anymore than that per transaction please shop around for other brokerages.
    Apr 3, 2014. 09:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    Agreed that is what I am more interested in is growth rate over time.
    Apr 2, 2014. 07:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    That is an easy fix and I will add that for all future articles. I think I am also going to include dividend growth rates so that people can potentially understand why I prefer YOC instead of just simply current yield.
    Apr 2, 2014. 07:31 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    Well I put as much extra money as I can. All windfall cash goes into the sharebuilder account, all cashback cash from my credit cards, all the interest from my high interest savings account, any cash I earn from writing articles on SA, and generally any extra cash I have leftover at the end of the month after paying bills. Over the last 3 years I have averaged around $4,000 extra per year.

As far as when I retire it is less about when so much as time is concerned but once I am able to generate a certain level of monthly income I will probably seek a job outside of my current career that may pay less but I find more fulfilling perhaps even work for myself. I have a couple ideas.
    Apr 2, 2014. 07:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    I will consider adding percentage values to my articles in the future. I can see where that would be a useful metric, I have not included them in the past because of the frequency of my purchases and how I have outlined my share purchase strategy.
    Apr 2, 2014. 07:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    like I replied in the comments above it is useful when I a 29 year am deciding to do with my money. do I pay down debt at 4.125% or do I instead invest the cash of which I am yielding 5.71%. It helps me to realize that over time I am making the smarter deicision by investing rather than paying down debt.
    Apr 2, 2014. 07:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    again as I have addressed in the comments above I am not so interested in current yield but more along the lines of dividend growth over time. Again remember I am taking a look at this from a 29 year old YOC helps me track the benefit of investing over time. I prefer to own a 2% yielding stock that is growing its dividend at 11% annually over a 3% yielding stock that is only growing its dividend at a 4-5% rate annually. Because I have a 30+ window of performance for this portfolio instead of current yield I an tracking YOC instead of current yield because I don't need cash income tomorrow.
    Apr 2, 2014. 07:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    I am glad you were able to understand my information and thanks Martin for clarifying.
    Apr 2, 2014. 12:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    I do appreciate the comments both positive and negative because I can take constructive criticism through detractors. It makes me rethink my message and I feel that I have learned of a necessity to communicate the goals of this portfolio in a slightly different manner in future updates. either way please keep the comments coming both positive and negative I appreciate all feedback. It helps me write better articles for you the readers.
    Apr 2, 2014. 12:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    According to my research I still have 4-5 sectors of the economy of which I have no exposure. The only segment that I may see I am overly diversified in is potentially the financial sector if you consider PGX and HYG as part of the financial sector. pair those with MAIN and AFL and WFC and I would probably agree that I am overweight that sector. If however there is a sector to be overweight I would argue that the finance sector would be that sector.
    Apr 2, 2014. 12:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    essentially you are doing the same thing that I am i try to keep transaction costs to around 1%. I do feel that is a reasonable charge for this type of service. Obviously the more you invest the lower this cost will be.
    Apr 2, 2014. 12:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    Yes I do, in fact all of my cash back rewards that I earn on my credit cards goes straight into my brokerage account balance.
    Apr 2, 2014. 12:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    Exactly which is why I would tell investors to shop around for brokerage services because there are definitely values to be had based upon your investing strategy.
    Apr 2, 2014. 12:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    Before Christmas it was trending up slightly around 2% deviation from the average daily price but when the correction in february hit I gain significantly downward due to the 2-3 week long price fall. right now we are back to around where we were at the end of last year and because of my february purchases I own stocks for about 5-6% less than if I had bought them at their price levels in november-december. I try to make 1 to two scheduled purchases each month, 2 if the price drops 1 if the price rises. this ensures that I buy more on the downs than the ups.
    Apr 2, 2014. 12:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q1 2014) [View article]
    I understand your point and as I have addressed above in many comments I am not seeking to be another buy these 8-10 stocks for your income portfolio. There are numerous other portfolios out there (on this site even) that use that model, I would be offering nothing different than what is already provided. Again I am taking a look at this income seeking portfolio from the view of a 29 year old. This is an dividend income growth portfolio for younger investors, and I am beginning to think that this may be the confusion point for alot of my readers. I will seek to clarify this in further articles. Thanks for the feedback.
    Apr 2, 2014. 10:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment