Invest Yourself

View Invest Yourself's Comments BY TICKER:
DD, GE, INTC, KMB, O, WM, WU
  • The Next 5: More Investments For My Income Portfolio [View article]
    They may be riskier bonds on the whole but the risk is more diverse. This way I am not exposed to any one specific local risk. In Virginia I am inherently tied to alot of Government spending for revenue creation. Due to the recent shutdown and overall sorrowing opinion of the government I feel this presented more risk for Virginia Municipalities more so than some other bonds. I do not think this risk has been factored into the state specific funds like BHV. I do think Muni bonds should be a holding of income portfolios, especially those of higher income investors. Since the income is tax free it does offer an advantage over taxable bond assets. Yes the yields may be low and I echo your sentiment that I would like higher yields from these investments and prior to the non-taper event from the Fed I was staying away from these investments entirely. but couple the non-taper with the appointment of Janet Yellin who is more dovish than bernanke and will probably keep stimulus running longer than Ben had planned and I think Munis may have an early 2014 run in the cards.
    Oct 29 03:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Next 5: More Investments For My Income Portfolio [View article]
    I have been looking at options strategies for DE. I just feel that there may be too much value locked away in it and I don't want to get squeezed on the wrong side of that trade. Although I am very bullish on DE in general.
    Oct 29 12:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    Right now projections are hard because this has been an extraordinary year for stocks and it also depends on how much money I am able to add to it each year. I probably wont start making accurate projections until year 3 so that I have some past precedence to go on as far as dividend growth rates and contribution amounts are considered. Based on my earliest assumptions its probably somewhere in the 18-20 year range. This will be a section that gets added to my articles at a later point. Be sure to keep up with my follow on articles.
    Oct 20 08:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    NBC is the third best network of all the large networks as far as ratings goes and the only thing it has going for it in my opinion is its ties with the NHL. Thats not saying much. Not sure that the NBC deal will be as big a boon as you think it might be. I may be wrong but I just dont see we shall see though.
    Oct 4 05:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    I have a problem with that as patents expire this company will have alot to lose. What is the average life of their drug patents remaining thats something that is worth considering.
    Oct 4 01:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    I am always Leary of pharmaceutical companies based companies because ultimately these companies make the largest portion of their profits from patented proprietary drugs and then witnees subsequent profit hits when patents expire. Generic drugs don't offer a large enough profit margin for my taste anyways.
    Oct 4 01:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    I would agree but I am still in a wait and see mode because with FIOS rapid expansion I want to seek what sort of pricing wars evolve for limited consumers. Not to mention the rapid expansion of highspeed wireless providers which will compete price wise with both of the above services. Even having said that TV revenue is where these providers make their profits. If they lose TV revenue that would either cause a rapid rise in pipe provider prices which could chase away customer bases, or if prices remain low will cut significantly into the profitability of those companies.
    Oct 4 01:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    Thank you for your support I hope to not disappoint my readers.
    Oct 4 09:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    I have looked into CMCSA but I am waiting to see how contract negotiations go for certain large TV contracts such as the NFL and I also want to see what might happen with a la carte TV offerings that may begin to emerge. CMCSA is probably a 3-4 year target for me but for now the entertainment industry could suffer a major upset over the next year or two and I just don't want to be on the wrong end of it. So I am choosing to wait on CMCSA.
    Oct 4 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    I also have a personal rule to never use a trailing stop limit on any stock that is clearly a target of short investors.
    Oct 3 10:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    All of the stocks I use them are have a much lower beta and volatility than smaller growth stocks. I would never use a trailing stop limit on anything deemed a growth stock because they are so much more volatile.
    Oct 3 10:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    well to clarify I actually use trailing stop Limit orders. They have actually worked nice for me a couple times before. most recently for O which peeked high and fell hard and fast. I was able to sell and and by right back in shortly after.

While capital gains are not a goal of mine you are correct what I use the capitals gains for is diversification. I take the profit from those investments and use them to buy more of other stocks. I only open the stop-limits for anything that I am already 30% up on. I do not open them for every stock and the stocks that I am investing in don't grow as fast as some smaller growth stocks do. They have a much lower beta. On the up and up it has worked for me more often than it hasnt.
    Oct 3 10:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    ING owned sharebuilder when I joined so I don't know who owned them before ING
    Oct 3 10:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    You are exactly correct on your pricing I only use Limit trades for sales. And I currently utilize trailing stop losses of 5% for all investments that have risen more than 30% since I purchased them.
    Oct 3 08:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    That is exactly what I am using
    Oct 3 08:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment