Invest Yourself

View Invest Yourself's Comments BY TICKER:
DD, GE, INTC, KMB, O, WM, WU
  • My Income Portfolio Update: Investment Exchange [View article]
    first of all I would not have held CSCO for 10 years if I saw no return on my money over that time as evidenced by the fact that I just dumped IBM after 1 year of no returns when clearly the market was very bullish. Second I understand your situation and prior to dividend payments I would have agreed with you, but as I see it the mere commitment to paying dividends makes companies more accountable to their shareholders. I think a few years of dividend payment commitments may turn a few peoples view both internally and externally. Dividend payments in themselves are a commitment to return value to a share holder. I think this change in mentality deserves a chance to be rewarded. Again this is just my opinion.
    Feb 10 11:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Update: Investment Exchange [View article]
    Ok well lets look back at a few things when he assumed control in 96 the stock price was actually at $5.27 in January of 96. if you look at CSCO now in terms of when he assumed control he has added 332% to the gains at the time he assumed controls which is an annual average gain of 18% over 18 years is Not bad for most companies. I would take 18% annual gains for the life of a stock and retire a multimillionaire. Second the price at the beginning of 1997 was only $7 not $70, the $70 Price target you refer too was actually 77.31 Hit in march of 2000 which as we know was the same month that the DOTCOM bubble popped. So as I see it, if you bought in the $70 you really bought during a buddle phase which I could blame many many CEO's for lost value from the DOTCOM bubble burst. I could blame many CEO's for companies that failed during the DOTCOM bubble. So as you see things are not as good or bad as you may remember and certain value lost may not have been controlable from his position anyways. I suspect that you have gotten burned by CSCO in the past and that has slightly skewed your view of this company one way or another, but when I look at the numbers I don't see quite the horrible picture that you do. I will take 18% annual gains for 18 years and walk away happy.
    Feb 10 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Update: Investment Exchange [View article]
    It appears that he plans to step down in 1-3 years. I Found this back in November referring to an announcement he made back in 2012. http://bit.ly/1ga0t9o
    Feb 7 07:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Update: Investment Exchange [View article]
    Total share count has been reduced by around 100M shares per year on average over the last 5 years.
    Feb 6 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    I appreciate your encouragement I welcome everyones opinion on my portfolio positive and negative. I enjoy discussions, in my opinion discussions are when people learn things.
    Jan 5 07:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    not necessarily cost is not from beginning rather the time of purchas so if you keep adding money to your account and keep buying than you can keep raising your cost on a portfolio. this occurs most when people use dollar cost averaging for their purchase strategy.
    Jan 5 07:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    dividends actually increase during the quarter and my YOC took a large hit because I made some large deposits this quarter which hurt my YOC by raising my cost basis by about 10%
    Jan 5 07:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    as for the dividend reinvesting I am keeping the cash from all non-monthly paying stocks and using it to buy into other stocks, So the dividends are still getting reinvested just not automatically its more like slective re-investment rather than automatic. as for the taxes I pay taxes on dividend out of my pocket instead of from my portfolio. fortunately for me I usually have enough write-downs on my tax returns that I don't have a tax bill.
    Jan 5 07:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    I like AWK primarily because their history of profitable acquisitions. It's hard to grow organically in the utility sector. Te initial upfront costs are very large I prefer AWK's method of growth acquiring smaller components and combining them with other components. It eliminates competition as well as overhead. They take profitable small utilities and eliminate their overhead by absorbing most of the administrative load thereby making these investments even more profitable. I beleive they have made 4 such acquisitions just in the last yet alone. Also for a water utility the yeild isn't too bad. I also wrote an article earlier in in 2013 comparing some of my thoughts about a few water utilites. Here is a link to that article. http://seekingalpha.co...
    Jan 3 04:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    I should have also included this in my article but I forgot, my year end goal for 2014 is an annualized dividend of 1745.25 A growth of 14% above current levels.
    Jan 3 02:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    I understand your statement and on many levels that is true. for my peace of mind though I need to reassure myself that I am making the right decision on a long term basis and for me YOC has a reassuring factor that I am making the smartest decision with my money over time that I could have made when deciding between debt pay down versus investing.
    Jan 3 01:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    I will seek to answer your questions that you have for me for this portfolio.
    Where did the author expect to be this year? - Where did you end up? I will try to answer these questions together based upon traditional Dividend growth rates and my planned contributions for the year I had planned on being somewhere around $1350 annualized dividend payout. due to generous growth and additional deposits I have far surpassed that goal. as you can see reaching 1524 in annualized dividend payout.
    Did you invest more in than you thought you would be able to? Yes I had some windfalls this year that I had not planned on so they went straight into investing. These additions helped me surpass my goals for the year.
    Did that skew your numbers in any way? It did I thought my YOC would stay flat to upward based on planned additions but at the same time I can't complain because it accelerated me towards my primary goals.
    Have you changed your goals going forward because of the answers to any of the questions above? My goals are still the same I am looking for modest annualized dividend growth on a year to year basis and anything more than that is a bonus to me.

I hope this anwers you questions if you have any more for me please feel free to ask them I would more than love to answer anything about my portfolio regarding goals.
    Jan 3 01:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    I understand your question and its not a statistic that many people find useful. I personally track YOC for one reason. I use it as a comparative analysis tool against paying down debt. over the last couple years I have saved 27,000 some odd dollars and placed into this portfolio. the porfolio's value has grown to over 43,000 dollars. I I had chosen instead to pay down down I would have only had 27,000 dollars since the realized growth in my portfolio would never have happened. Example: I currently have a mortgage at 4.125% My YOC tells me that since I am earning 5.6% on every dollar I save I am actually netting 1.475% profit on my invested dollar versus my pay down debt dollar.so long as my YOC is above debt burden rates then I am better served saving money for investing purposes instead of paying down debt. I hope this answers your question about why I track this statistic. It is a personal marker for me that should something change could trigger a change in money management habits.
    Jan 3 11:50 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Next 5: More Investments For My Income Portfolio [View article]
    I am keeping my dividends in cash but then using them to buy other stocks or raise my cost basis. I don't "pocket" the cash per say it all goes back to work for me.
    Dec 16 11:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Next 5: More Investments For My Income Portfolio [View article]
    Right now I current forfeit 15% of HYG investment but I am very close to the next tax bracket level for income So I am looking to keep my income level below that of the next tax bracket. So if I look at it from my current position. With HYD currently yielding 5.97% and a current expense ratio of 0.35% for HYD leaving me with a realized 5.62% annual dividend yeild factored for 15% tax bracket I would have a realized after tax value income of 6.46%. If I factor in the likelihood that I will leap into the next tax bracket my realized after tax advantage income would jump to 7.025%. This represents a better income level investment than even my current holdings in HYG which only yields 5.98% and will not receive an tax advantage treatment.

not sure if this was the information you were looking for but this is some of the data I used when evaluating this income source
    Nov 6 10:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment