Invest Yourself

View Invest Yourself's Comments BY TICKER:
DD, GE, INTC, KMB, O, WM, WU
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • My Income Portfolio Update: Investment Exchange [View article]
    first of all I would not have held CSCO for 10 years if I saw no return on my money over that time as evidenced by the fact that I just dumped IBM after 1 year of no returns when clearly the market was very bullish. Second I understand your situation and prior to dividend payments I would have agreed with you, but as I see it the mere commitment to paying dividends makes companies more accountable to their shareholders. I think a few years of dividend payment commitments may turn a few peoples view both internally and externally. Dividend payments in themselves are a commitment to return value to a share holder. I think this change in mentality deserves a chance to be rewarded. Again this is just my opinion.
    Feb 10 11:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Update: Investment Exchange [View article]
    Ok well lets look back at a few things when he assumed control in 96 the stock price was actually at $5.27 in January of 96. if you look at CSCO now in terms of when he assumed control he has added 332% to the gains at the time he assumed controls which is an annual average gain of 18% over 18 years is Not bad for most companies. I would take 18% annual gains for the life of a stock and retire a multimillionaire. Second the price at the beginning of 1997 was only $7 not $70, the $70 Price target you refer too was actually 77.31 Hit in march of 2000 which as we know was the same month that the DOTCOM bubble popped. So as I see it, if you bought in the $70 you really bought during a buddle phase which I could blame many many CEO's for lost value from the DOTCOM bubble burst. I could blame many CEO's for companies that failed during the DOTCOM bubble. So as you see things are not as good or bad as you may remember and certain value lost may not have been controlable from his position anyways. I suspect that you have gotten burned by CSCO in the past and that has slightly skewed your view of this company one way or another, but when I look at the numbers I don't see quite the horrible picture that you do. I will take 18% annual gains for 18 years and walk away happy.
    Feb 10 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Update: Investment Exchange [View article]
    It appears that he plans to step down in 1-3 years. I Found this back in November referring to an announcement he made back in 2012. http://bit.ly/1ga0t9o
    Feb 7 07:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Update: Investment Exchange [View article]
    Total share count has been reduced by around 100M shares per year on average over the last 5 years.
    Feb 6 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    not necessarily cost is not from beginning rather the time of purchas so if you keep adding money to your account and keep buying than you can keep raising your cost on a portfolio. this occurs most when people use dollar cost averaging for their purchase strategy.
    Jan 5 07:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    dividends actually increase during the quarter and my YOC took a large hit because I made some large deposits this quarter which hurt my YOC by raising my cost basis by about 10%
    Jan 5 07:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    I like AWK primarily because their history of profitable acquisitions. It's hard to grow organically in the utility sector. Te initial upfront costs are very large I prefer AWK's method of growth acquiring smaller components and combining them with other components. It eliminates competition as well as overhead. They take profitable small utilities and eliminate their overhead by absorbing most of the administrative load thereby making these investments even more profitable. I beleive they have made 4 such acquisitions just in the last yet alone. Also for a water utility the yeild isn't too bad. I also wrote an article earlier in in 2013 comparing some of my thoughts about a few water utilites. Here is a link to that article. http://seekingalpha.co...
    Jan 3 04:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    I should have also included this in my article but I forgot, my year end goal for 2014 is an annualized dividend of 1745.25 A growth of 14% above current levels.
    Jan 3 02:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    I will seek to answer your questions that you have for me for this portfolio.
    Where did the author expect to be this year? - Where did you end up? I will try to answer these questions together based upon traditional Dividend growth rates and my planned contributions for the year I had planned on being somewhere around $1350 annualized dividend payout. due to generous growth and additional deposits I have far surpassed that goal. as you can see reaching 1524 in annualized dividend payout.
    Did you invest more in than you thought you would be able to? Yes I had some windfalls this year that I had not planned on so they went straight into investing. These additions helped me surpass my goals for the year.
    Did that skew your numbers in any way? It did I thought my YOC would stay flat to upward based on planned additions but at the same time I can't complain because it accelerated me towards my primary goals.
    Have you changed your goals going forward because of the answers to any of the questions above? My goals are still the same I am looking for modest annualized dividend growth on a year to year basis and anything more than that is a bonus to me.

I hope this anwers you questions if you have any more for me please feel free to ask them I would more than love to answer anything about my portfolio regarding goals.
    Jan 3 01:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Next 5: More Investments For My Income Portfolio [View article]
    nevermind I found the info I was looking for:

Total Net Assets (mil) as of 9/30/2013 $613.6
    % Leveraged Assets as of 10/31/2012 30.03%
    Portfolio Turnover 6.00%
    Mgmt Fees 0.993%
    Expense Ratio 1.260%
    Alternative Minimum Tax 8.77%

based on the above info I don't like the 30% leverage and I definitely am not a fan of the management fees and expense ratios. they are definitely high. I think I may pass on this I am still a fan of the ETF's with lower management costs and non-levered exposure.
    Oct 30 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Next 5: More Investments For My Income Portfolio [View article]
    I noticed that NMZ is a closed end fund. I am not a fan of this type of investment due to management overhead, I can't seem to find the management charges listed. Do you know what the management fee is for this investment?
    Oct 30 09:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Next 5: More Investments For My Income Portfolio [View article]
    They may be riskier bonds on the whole but the risk is more diverse. This way I am not exposed to any one specific local risk. In Virginia I am inherently tied to alot of Government spending for revenue creation. Due to the recent shutdown and overall sorrowing opinion of the government I feel this presented more risk for Virginia Municipalities more so than some other bonds. I do not think this risk has been factored into the state specific funds like BHV. I do think Muni bonds should be a holding of income portfolios, especially those of higher income investors. Since the income is tax free it does offer an advantage over taxable bond assets. Yes the yields may be low and I echo your sentiment that I would like higher yields from these investments and prior to the non-taper event from the Fed I was staying away from these investments entirely. but couple the non-taper with the appointment of Janet Yellin who is more dovish than bernanke and will probably keep stimulus running longer than Ben had planned and I think Munis may have an early 2014 run in the cards.
    Oct 29 03:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Next 5: More Investments For My Income Portfolio [View article]
    I have been looking at options strategies for DE. I just feel that there may be too much value locked away in it and I don't want to get squeezed on the wrong side of that trade. Although I am very bullish on DE in general.
    Oct 29 12:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    Right now projections are hard because this has been an extraordinary year for stocks and it also depends on how much money I am able to add to it each year. I probably wont start making accurate projections until year 3 so that I have some past precedence to go on as far as dividend growth rates and contribution amounts are considered. Based on my earliest assumptions its probably somewhere in the 18-20 year range. This will be a section that gets added to my articles at a later point. Be sure to keep up with my follow on articles.
    Oct 20 08:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    NBC is the third best network of all the large networks as far as ratings goes and the only thing it has going for it in my opinion is its ties with the NHL. Thats not saying much. Not sure that the NBC deal will be as big a boon as you think it might be. I may be wrong but I just dont see we shall see though.
    Oct 4 05:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment