Invest Yourself

View Invest Yourself's Comments BY TICKER:
DD, GE, INTC, KMB, O, WM, WU
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    I am trying to keep a balanced approach to all of my holdings and like I addressed in the previous comment reply I am not looking to invest in international companies rather American multinationals for the sake of capturing foreign market profits. BDC's and Utilities are definitely on my list but I am trying to balance my holdings. I do think interest rate increases will exert some downward pressure on BDC's and Utilities later this year and all next year which will make them more appealing from an income seekers point of view
    Oct 2 09:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    I am not looking to invest in foreign companies. I look to capture the international market by making sure I have a large share of American Multinationals Like Pepsi that will capture portions of the foreign markets for me.
    Oct 2 09:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric - Doubling Down On Natural Gas [View article]
    I agree alot of the decisions he made at that point in time were wrong, but he was just doing what every other financial institution was doing at the same time trying to keep up with performance expectations. If he hadnt performed then there would have been calls for his head then too for underperformance. Hindsight is always 20/20 and there are many executives that made bad decisions based on what we know today but they were not so bad based upon the information that was available then. I am a little more forgiving when it comes to mistakes. I realize we are all going to make mistakes but I am willing to give people the chance to make up for their mistakes. Now if someone is unable to correct their mistakes then we need to have a discussion about performance then but like I said I do think GE has rebounded nicely from where it was and I do think it has good propects for growth and value return for the next few years.
    Jul 18 08:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ranking And Comparing 8 Income Generating Insurance Companies [View article]
    I actually chose AFL to replace HNZ in my portfolio earlier this year when HNZ got bought out. the link to that article is here.
    I did a similar comparison against other non-insurance stocks.
    Jul 9 09:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Transitioned To A Dividend-Growth Portfolio [View article]
    I applaud your mentality change I myself also have a portfolio with the same goal and I am always glad when I hear of people converting to the income growth mentality. Just one piece of advice for an income portfolio you may want to take a look at MAIN it has fallen from recent highs and is a really nice buy at current levels.
    Jul 9 11:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2013) [View article]
    In my opinion it depends on which company you believe in more or which company you believe is a current better value. Its not always about who is yielding the highest dividend but who you think has the most future potential to grow your dividend payments.

It may also depend on how much time you have to commit to watching your investments. if you don't have alot of free time I would say to just let them compound. however if you have time to analyze and compare stocks then I would take the payments in cash because you may be able take advantage of momentary blips in the market, but remember for an average trader its hard to time the market so if you don't have confidence in your ability to find value I would just let them compound as well.
    Jul 4 08:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2013) [View article]
    Ok so as to clarify your questions, if you look back at my original article which I reference in the above article it explains the entire goal of this portfolio you will see that My long term goal is to use value dividend growth investing to create an income portfolio that will replace my current salaried income. and no the sales in this account will not hurt me because I have currently around $10,000 of tax exclusions for the coming ear including mortgage interest deductions and charitable contributions and child tax credits that I do not deduct for currently so I can realize up to $10,000 in net portfolio gains and not have to pay taxes. Also of the gains realize more than 80% of those gains are long term gains which won't be taxed anyways based on my current tax bracket.

The long and the short of it is I believe that dividend growth investing is the only way that an average investor like me has as beating or even matching the market long term. This is my endeavor to prove that theory.
    Jul 3 02:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q2 2013) [View article]
    Frequent compounding is a great advantage over time and that is what monthly paying investments afford you the advantage of.
    Jul 3 08:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric - Doubling Down On Natural Gas [View article]
    I think the fact that we are talking about using one fuel to transport another one clearly demonstrates that no one energy solution will meet all of americas energy needs and that a mix of various forms of energy is really what is needed if we relied to much on one fuel than we would be too sensitive to price fluctuations however if there are multiple fuels that achieve the same goal than it makes it harder for any one fuel to dominate the market. thats the beauty of capitalism.
    Jun 24 08:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • DuPont Growing Agriculture Profits [View article]
    I fully expected DD to divest its Titanium Oxide business at some point in the future It has been a significant drag on the company for some time now due to its volatile nature.
    May 31 09:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Mid-Cap Electric Utilities For An Income Portfolio [View article]
    wow I would not have guessed that Berkshire buying up more companies I mean really who would have Guessed (he said sarcastically!) Although it is nice to know that I am targeting the same companies that the Oracle of Omaha is as well. Makes me feel a little better about some of my analysis.
    May 30 09:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • DuPont Growing Agriculture Profits [View article]
    yes you are correct I fat fingered those years I will submit a correction
    May 29 07:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Mid-Cap Electric Utilities For An Income Portfolio [View article]
    I agree that utilies look stretched a little thin but that is what happens when yield hungry investors are driven away from bonds by low interest rates. The look for yields in other locations and thereby compress those sectors. As far as price targets go I am an income investor so I am not necessarily looking for the quick turnaround on share price profit my typical windows for returns is 5-8 years. I have a much longer term view and even though P/E's are squeezed slightly SCG has show the ability to continue to grow profits so a higher P/E may be warranted in their case. I would say SCG is a buy at any price point below a P/E of 18 at that point I would say the company is slightly overvalued for a Utility. I would continue to hold SCG above 18 though and probably would not think about selling until its P/E reached around 20 - 21. Again this is just what I would do and it may not be specifically your plan.
    May 24 09:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric - Doubling Down On Natural Gas [View article]
    GE acquire Dresser Industries in 2011 for 3 Billion, and then purchased John Wood Plc's Well Support Division for $2.8 billion in 2011, and just recently acquired Lufkin Industries for $2.98 billion. That is over 9 billion dollars of acquisitions centered around oil and gas services over the last three years. Thats a pretty hefty investment. They may not have been a player in fuels in the past but I fully expect them to be a player in the future.
    May 22 08:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric - Doubling Down On Natural Gas [View article]
    I agree completely with your thought process Rube123 too many people are latching onto the NAT GAS boom that this is more than just a fad now.
    May 14 09:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment