Invest Yourself

View Invest Yourself's Comments BY TICKER:
DD, GE, INTC, KMB, O, WM, WU
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • 5 Stocks To Replace H.J. Heinz In Your Portfolio [View article]
    I agree and yes you are correct but since I am getting a 20% instant return on HNZ I had to factor that into the amount i will sink into its replacement, that gain affords me the ability to expand my search. that is why I computed the numbers based on the 72.50 buyout price.
    Feb 15 12:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Stocks To Replace H.J. Heinz In Your Portfolio [View article]
    yeah I own ADM as well I swear if he buys out ADM I will be pissed.
    Feb 15 09:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Stocks To Replace H.J. Heinz In Your Portfolio [View article]
    When you are an income seeking investor it's not about instant gains it's about compounded returns over time and that's what hnz offerred.
    Feb 15 06:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kimberly-Clark: Re-Inventing Consistency [View article]
    according to my research KMB does produce some generic brand products for certain products. The margins on those generics are smaller than those of the corresponding name brand products.
    Jan 30 09:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kimberly-Clark: Re-Inventing Consistency [View article]
    While I agree with your hold or sell comparison If you currently own I would probably hold because there is some upside remaining but I do feel that for an income portfolio considering that KMB dividend payout ratio is currently 68% and they are expected to raise their dividend this year again which will further squeeze the payout ratio If you are looking into buying this stock I would say there are probably better to stocks to buy. But I can agree that if you own and have owned that it is currently at a hold status. It has not reached a sell status for me yet but I am most certainly not buying
    Jan 30 09:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • DuPont's Numbers: Beyond The Surface [View article]
    Just trying to understand your stance on DD. Its always useful to understand the counter stance of others. It forces me to broaden my scope of information considered. you present some very valid points. I just want to understand your angle and intent. You can never truly understand someone until you understand their stance. in no way did I mean to offend or accuse you of slanted opinions I just wanted to understand your stance a little better.
    Jan 25 10:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • DuPont's Numbers: Beyond The Surface [View article]
    dupont does have currently over 4 Billion dollars in cash on hand as well. I am starting to get the feeling that you are not a fan of Duponts management team. Did you get burned by them in the past?
    Jan 24 07:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • DuPont's Numbers: Beyond The Surface [View article]
    I agree that they will have to pay but much what you are alluding to until the fund is set up or numbers released I can't account for a unknown amount of lost funding. Until I know the scope and structure of the settlement I cannot account for that though. I appreciate the input. I learned something in your last post I have never read the FAS.
    Jan 24 10:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • DuPont's Numbers: Beyond The Surface [View article]
    While litigation like this can be a drain on the company its true impact and weight cannot be judged until the verdict is rendered. Dupont could potentially win partial claims and lessen the impact to its bottom line. litigation numbers will have to be processed once the full weight is understood. I did consider them when writing this article but its hard to write about something that has yet to be decided.
    Jan 24 09:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Building An Income Portfolio [View article]
    I do have trailing stops of 5% in place, for any stock of mine that has risen more than 15 from its purchase price. I have found that trailing stops are a very useful tool. I usually end up buying back the same stock once it has finished its decline, an I end up with more shares that I have before the trailing stop sold off.
    Jan 16 08:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Building An Income Portfolio [View article]
    I couldn't have said it better myself chowder.
    Jan 15 01:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Building An Income Portfolio [View article]
    I agree with your inflation statement but I cannot calculate future inflation I was thinking more along the lines of adjusting my income goals at the end of each year based upon the reported inflation that year. sort of a post date inflation adjustment.
    Jan 14 05:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2014) [View article]
    I wholeheartedly agree with your strategy these price drops are making me foam at the mouth right now for value. alot of the names I own right now have started to enter value territory at least as I view it.
    Oct 16 09:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2014) [View article]
    I tend to agree with you as I have been watching same store comps for some time as the metric that needs tracking. My problem is that a couple of the companies that I like in lieu of DRI don't pay dividends and in the end DRI may not either since starboard just assumed control. We will have to see I think my current position in the restaurant sector in general needs to be under close scrutiny and a change may be forthcoming within my portfolio.
    Oct 15 01:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2014) [View article]
    On a performance metric you are correct Beta does not matter, and alot of people would argue that a lower beta is lessening returns. Where beta matters is investor mindset. I identified long ago that I am an impatient investor by tendecy and I am not at peace with riding stocks down even if it means they are re-pricing at value levels. A low beta ensures that while my portfolio may not track index's higher step for step, it also ensures that it won't walk down step for step either. I am more peaceful in my investor frame of mind when I don't see my portfolio as being as volatile as the broader market.

VOLATILITY causes people not of the correct mindset to make rash and quick decisions. Portfolios with lower beta's allow people to be more discerning about their holdings by making them less likely to make snap decisions. I as an investor have a larger peace of mind with a less volatile portfolio.

So for most people beta does not matter and is not a worthy performance metric, but it is a stability measurement to keep an eye on for jittery investors.
    Oct 14 02:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment