Invest Yourself

View Invest Yourself's Comments BY TICKER:
DD, GE, INTC, KMB, O, WM, WU
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    not necessarily cost is not from beginning rather the time of purchas so if you keep adding money to your account and keep buying than you can keep raising your cost on a portfolio. this occurs most when people use dollar cost averaging for their purchase strategy.
    Jan 5 07:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    dividends actually increase during the quarter and my YOC took a large hit because I made some large deposits this quarter which hurt my YOC by raising my cost basis by about 10%
    Jan 5 07:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    I like AWK primarily because their history of profitable acquisitions. It's hard to grow organically in the utility sector. Te initial upfront costs are very large I prefer AWK's method of growth acquiring smaller components and combining them with other components. It eliminates competition as well as overhead. They take profitable small utilities and eliminate their overhead by absorbing most of the administrative load thereby making these investments even more profitable. I beleive they have made 4 such acquisitions just in the last yet alone. Also for a water utility the yeild isn't too bad. I also wrote an article earlier in in 2013 comparing some of my thoughts about a few water utilites. Here is a link to that article. http://seekingalpha.co...
    Jan 3 04:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    I should have also included this in my article but I forgot, my year end goal for 2014 is an annualized dividend of 1745.25 A growth of 14% above current levels.
    Jan 3 02:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q4 2013) [View article]
    I will seek to answer your questions that you have for me for this portfolio.
    Where did the author expect to be this year? - Where did you end up? I will try to answer these questions together based upon traditional Dividend growth rates and my planned contributions for the year I had planned on being somewhere around $1350 annualized dividend payout. due to generous growth and additional deposits I have far surpassed that goal. as you can see reaching 1524 in annualized dividend payout.
    Did you invest more in than you thought you would be able to? Yes I had some windfalls this year that I had not planned on so they went straight into investing. These additions helped me surpass my goals for the year.
    Did that skew your numbers in any way? It did I thought my YOC would stay flat to upward based on planned additions but at the same time I can't complain because it accelerated me towards my primary goals.
    Have you changed your goals going forward because of the answers to any of the questions above? My goals are still the same I am looking for modest annualized dividend growth on a year to year basis and anything more than that is a bonus to me.

I hope this anwers you questions if you have any more for me please feel free to ask them I would more than love to answer anything about my portfolio regarding goals.
    Jan 3 01:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Next 5: More Investments For My Income Portfolio [View article]
    nevermind I found the info I was looking for:

Total Net Assets (mil) as of 9/30/2013 $613.6
    % Leveraged Assets as of 10/31/2012 30.03%
    Portfolio Turnover 6.00%
    Mgmt Fees 0.993%
    Expense Ratio 1.260%
    Alternative Minimum Tax 8.77%

based on the above info I don't like the 30% leverage and I definitely am not a fan of the management fees and expense ratios. they are definitely high. I think I may pass on this I am still a fan of the ETF's with lower management costs and non-levered exposure.
    Oct 30 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Next 5: More Investments For My Income Portfolio [View article]
    I noticed that NMZ is a closed end fund. I am not a fan of this type of investment due to management overhead, I can't seem to find the management charges listed. Do you know what the management fee is for this investment?
    Oct 30 09:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Next 5: More Investments For My Income Portfolio [View article]
    They may be riskier bonds on the whole but the risk is more diverse. This way I am not exposed to any one specific local risk. In Virginia I am inherently tied to alot of Government spending for revenue creation. Due to the recent shutdown and overall sorrowing opinion of the government I feel this presented more risk for Virginia Municipalities more so than some other bonds. I do not think this risk has been factored into the state specific funds like BHV. I do think Muni bonds should be a holding of income portfolios, especially those of higher income investors. Since the income is tax free it does offer an advantage over taxable bond assets. Yes the yields may be low and I echo your sentiment that I would like higher yields from these investments and prior to the non-taper event from the Fed I was staying away from these investments entirely. but couple the non-taper with the appointment of Janet Yellin who is more dovish than bernanke and will probably keep stimulus running longer than Ben had planned and I think Munis may have an early 2014 run in the cards.
    Oct 29 03:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Next 5: More Investments For My Income Portfolio [View article]
    I have been looking at options strategies for DE. I just feel that there may be too much value locked away in it and I don't want to get squeezed on the wrong side of that trade. Although I am very bullish on DE in general.
    Oct 29 12:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    Right now projections are hard because this has been an extraordinary year for stocks and it also depends on how much money I am able to add to it each year. I probably wont start making accurate projections until year 3 so that I have some past precedence to go on as far as dividend growth rates and contribution amounts are considered. Based on my earliest assumptions its probably somewhere in the 18-20 year range. This will be a section that gets added to my articles at a later point. Be sure to keep up with my follow on articles.
    Oct 20 08:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    NBC is the third best network of all the large networks as far as ratings goes and the only thing it has going for it in my opinion is its ties with the NHL. Thats not saying much. Not sure that the NBC deal will be as big a boon as you think it might be. I may be wrong but I just dont see we shall see though.
    Oct 4 05:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    I have a problem with that as patents expire this company will have alot to lose. What is the average life of their drug patents remaining thats something that is worth considering.
    Oct 4 01:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    I am always Leary of pharmaceutical companies based companies because ultimately these companies make the largest portion of their profits from patented proprietary drugs and then witnees subsequent profit hits when patents expire. Generic drugs don't offer a large enough profit margin for my taste anyways.
    Oct 4 01:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    I would agree but I am still in a wait and see mode because with FIOS rapid expansion I want to seek what sort of pricing wars evolve for limited consumers. Not to mention the rapid expansion of highspeed wireless providers which will compete price wise with both of the above services. Even having said that TV revenue is where these providers make their profits. If they lose TV revenue that would either cause a rapid rise in pipe provider prices which could chase away customer bases, or if prices remain low will cut significantly into the profitability of those companies.
    Oct 4 01:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Income Portfolio Quarterly Update (Q3 2013) [View article]
    Thank you for your support I hope to not disappoint my readers.
    Oct 4 09:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment