Investanomics

View Investanomics' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Protecting Your Portfolio And Selling For Capital Gains: Is It Worth It For Dividend Growth Investors? [View article]
    Great article. I use the same 1% stop loss rule in my dividend portfolio which has been working well for me. I do tie it in with basic support and resistance technical analysis which help me time my entries. For profit taking I sell half my position after a 50% move or if I get a pivot break on a weekly chart.
    Oct 31 01:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Signs Say This Correction Is Not Over [View article]
    I just recently started to build some positions in the sectors you mentioned. I just bought CVX and BP with the anticipation that oil can't stay at these lows due to production costs being unsustainable here for some companies which will cause some production to come off.

I'm watching RIG and SDRL to build a position but I like the sector as a whole over the next couple of years once demand catches up. If these prices hold I will probably buy over the next few days.

Thanks for the heads up on UL, that one does look interesting and I will look to buy if it gets closer to the 200ma.
    Oct 16 02:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Newcastle Investment Generating Great Numbers From Distressed Assets [View article]
    Tim excellent article. I have a couple questions regarding any effect the Fed purchases may have on NCT.

1) Do you believe the recent announcement by the Fed to purchase an unlimited amount of mortgages, to have a positive impact on NCT's CMO portfolio? I believe there may be a chance that the Fed may create a sharp rally in the mortgage market and I have been looking for the best way to play it. This is assuming that purchasing $40 Billion a month in mortgages continues for an extended period.

2) On the same note, what effect do you believe Fed purchases may have on the MSR portfolio? Do you believe there is a chance prepayments may actually cause the MSR portfolio to miss return targets due to refinancing. What effect does a refinancing have toward the MSR if any?

Thanks again for putting MSR on my radar.
    Oct 28 10:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: How The iTV Will Revolutionize The Television Industry [View article]
    If you are looking for breaking news you should get a Bloomberg terminal. If you want an investment opinion then Seeking Alpha is the place. I did not say this was breaking news anywhere in the article. A lot of investors see all the news as it's released but don't know how to interpret it. I like to provide an additional side that investors may not have realized. It's up to the investor to act on it or not. I don't just write up an opinion as soon as news is released. I still do a lot of research before I decide how to trade it.

This is my update to a couple of previous articles I wrote about the possible launch of the iTV. I wrote my first article about the iTV in September. Here is one of them http://seekingalpha.co...
    Dec 30 03:33 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: How The iTV Will Revolutionize The Television Industry [View article]
    I have to agree with Bryce here. I expect the content to be the big selling point here. I expect to see the same type of application development explosion that occurred with Apple's other products. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see niche channels that will start launching geared toward the iTV. This is just like what happened with the iPhone and iPad apps.

The phone and computer industry used to be the same way as the television market. Consumers used to upgrade devices after several years making due with their existing devices. The iPhone and iPad spearheaded the electronics revolution. Consumers now upgrade their wireless devices at an astonishing pace. I do believe the strategy may be a little different for the iTV. Subscription revenue is where Apple is going to make the big money not the hardware. Apple only needs to sell the device once and get paid every month for as long as the customer keeps the service. That's a new real nice high margin business with a predictable revenue stream.

I'm not worried about Apple's pricing. Apple has yet to release its price for the iTV but the company has yet to have a failed product launch due to mispricing. I can't say the same for RIMM but that's a whole other story. Apple knows its market extremely well and they will keep the price in line. Apple will price it at the high end like it always does and consumers will pay it like they always do.
    Dec 30 03:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: How The iTV Will Revolutionize The Television Industry [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. I believe the strategy will be much different with the iTV than Apple's other devices. Unlike the iPhone and iPad which generate revenue from hardware sales, the iTV will be a play on subscription and application content. Apple will only need to sell the TV once and gain subscription revenue every month for the life of the customer. The best part is that will create extremely high margins for Apple. This is the reason why CBS didn't want to participate in the iTV. Networks are used to licensing agreements not profit sharing, the problem with licensing agreements is that the price keeps going up every renewal. This is the problem that Netflix and cable companies are constantly facing. With a profit sharing model Apple and the networks are closely tied which requires the networks to remain competitive on price. Networks of course don't like that. I think the networks will cave once they realize the potential in generating revenue from new subscribers. Consumers are turning to online sources to watch shows and networks know this. I believe this is the best chance that networks have to turning around their declining business. I also expect they will charge more for an a la carte type service but consumers will pay it. I wouldn't mind paying $20 for 5 channels I actually want than $80 for 200 channels when I only watch 5.
    Dec 30 03:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: How The iTV Will Revolutionize The Television Industry [View article]
    Franc that is what I expect. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see people and company's launch niche channels, very similar to reality TV. Companies may use it as a platform to show users how to use their products or people could create their own subcription channels that target their niche interests. Apple did this for apps for its other products, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do it for this one.

If you like watching on your device that's fine, the main driver here is the content not the iTV hardware. If Apple could get its content together this will be a big revenue stream for Apple.
    Dec 30 03:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: How The iTV Will Revolutionize The Television Industry [View article]
    I like to trade ahead of news and have been doing doing quite well with that. If you like to wait for confirmation and then buy, best of luck to you. Doing the opposite of "buy the rumor sell the news" doesn't really work well.

Read the links if you still believe that a new iTV won't launch.
    Dec 30 12:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Has Research In Motion Bottomed? [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. Because of the way I trade it seems that way. I still have a small short position left on the company which I'm still riding. I will cover that little by little if the company continues to fall. I have a trail stop right above the $19 area right now which will take me out of the rest of my position when that happens. I'm long term bullish on RIMM but not yet ready to just flip my position at current prices. I said wouldn't be surprised to see RIMM test the next level of support at $8 because there really isn't a catalyst that will change the company's direction, its line of QNX phones, buyout offer or management change are the only rumored catalysts circling the company but are all still up in the air. Business will continue to slow and that is why I'm still willing to ride out my short just like you are riding your puts. I think there will be a certain price that private equity says that this is to crazy and RIMM is worth a shot. I believe we start seeing interest once the 8$ area is hit. Markets like to exaggerate moves and RIM may be the next one.

I agree that RIMM needs to reinvent itself real soon or risk eroding the value of whatever assets it has left. This doesn't only include its intellectual property but creative assets as well. There is a risk that talent may leave if they don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.
    Dec 16 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple - China Infringement: No Visible Effect [View article]
    To answer your first statement,"based on what?" I would consider the fact that Apple can't use the trademark iPad in China, a country that produces 16% of the company's sales a difficult situation.

To answer your second statement. I never claimed to be a legal expert. This is obviously my opinion since I clearly stated "I believe", if you choose not to follow then don't. I based this off similar trademark situations with other companies but I never stated anything as certain. You obviously missed that.

Next, who claimed to know what Apple will or will not do? "I foresee" is hardly a statement of fact. Again it's my opinion, if you don't like it who said you had to follow it.

"Everything is speculation" this is interesting considering I included the links to the court ruling that denied Apple's trademark application. My credentials are clearly stated in my profile and have been there ever since. I don't see any information in your bio let alone any credentials. I never asked anyone to put their faith in me, it's up to you to make your own decisions afterall, I'm just giving my opinion.
    Dec 14 12:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple - China Infringement: No Visible Effect [View article]
    Thank you for your comment and highlighting the prior arrangement. Yes, Apple did purchase the trademark from Proview for 35,000 pounds which was supposed to include China. It appears there may have been an issue with the mark assignment in China or Proview may have pulled a fast one on Apple and some how found a loop hole to leave the China market out of the transfer. We will get more detail in the coming days when the case goes to court. The fact that the China Trademark Office still recognizes Proview as owner is a big problem for Apple. Many foreign courts often side with the local owner which ends up being a problem for the true patent and trademark owner especially if the owner is from another country. I expect the same type of ruling from China.
    Dec 12 10:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Dividends Are Only Part Of The Growth Story [View article]
    Excellent point with the stock spllit, I would love for McDonald's to have a stock split. I think it would bring a ton of new investors if it did that.
    Dec 9 02:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Dividends Are Only Part Of The Growth Story [View article]
    Definitely good value at the $85. I would really like a stock split like mbkelly has mentioned. Even though stock splits don't create much value by cutting its share price, it creates more demand for shares that brings appreciation as more investors are able to buy at lower prices.
    Dec 9 02:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Dividends Are Only Part Of The Growth Story [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. I'm looking to add on the next pullback that holds above the $90 area. The $100 mark is usually a very tough resistance area for stocks so I'm looking at taking some profits there then adding back to my position on the pullback if it holds. If McDonald's fails to hold the $90 area, I will re-evaluate the trade.
    Dec 9 12:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Would Be Just Fine Without Mel Karmazin [View article]
    Paku, yes I agree that Liberty Media got the company for almost nothing but like Bluejay said Mel didn't have a choice. SIRI was in a very difficult situation and had very few options. If SIRI filed chapter 11 existing sharehholders would have been wiped out because of the debt load.
    Dec 5 12:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment