View as an RSS Feed
View Investing 501's Articles BY TICKER:
If You Are A Long-Term Investor, Why Are You Listening To Earnings Conference Calls In Real Time?
Editors' Pick • Thu, May. 22 • 29 Comments
- Conference call transcripts are one of Seeking Alpha's most valuable services.
- Reading, rather than listening to calls can be a more productive use of analytical time.
- Use transcripts to learn more about the business and less about the quarterly results and guidance.
Children's Place: Could Ascena Retail Group Come Knocking Next Year?
- Ascena Retail Group management has stated numerous times that their goal is to become a $10 billion revenue company.
- Acquisitions are a major component to this goal and the company has created an operational platform to allow for a “plug and play” acquisition strategy.
- Past acquisitions provide an insight for the criteria of potential acquisition candidates. Children’s Place’s business model fits well with those criteria.
- A reasonable case could be made that PLCE could be acquired for $57 to $81 a share by the end of 2015.
- This is a speculative theoretical exercise; any investment in PLCE should be made on the merits of the company as a standalone entity.
Incorporating Right-Brain Thinking Into Your Investment Process
Wed, May. 7 • 5 Comments
- Tapping into the creative side of your brain helps improve your investment process.
- Mathematician Carl Jacobi's maxim "Invert, Always Invert" has been successfully applied to investing by Charlie Munger.
- Incorporating a "premortem" into your investment process should improve your analysis and outcomes.
The Illusion Of Control
- Investors spend too much time looking for "important" incremental information about an investment to boost confidence.
- Not all "new" information about a company is important (or new).
- Focus on business model and valuation, not news.
- A. H. Belo: Valuation Has Increased, But So Have The Opportunities And Risk
- Central Garden & Pet: Another Step In The Right Direction
- A H Belo: Value Creation Continues At An Accelerated Pace
- Central Garden & Pet: One Step Forward, One Step Back
- Body Central: Thoughts After A Disappointing Quarter
- JetBlue: A Stock All Value Investors Should Consider
- Crimson Wine Group: You Can Buy The Wine For A 20% Discount, But Not The Stock.
- 10 Top Value Ideas From The Keeley Small-Cap Value Fund
- Central Garden & Pet: 14% Free Cash Flow Yield With Turnaround And Takeout Appeal
- How Safe Is Your Money Market Fund?
- WPX Energy Trades Below Tangible Book Value, Smart Investors Are Buying
- Texas Pacific Land - The Ultimate Buy And Hold Stock
- Intriguing Ideas From The Value Investing Congress In Las Vegas, Part 1
- Live Nation - Everybody Wants To Rule The World
- Don't Wait For The Clouds To Clear - Buy ATI Now
- Carrols Restaurant Group - Biting Off More Than It Can Chew?
- Body Central Cheap For A Reason: Isn't That Always The Case?
- A.H. Belo: Hidden Value Or Value Trap?
- Ignite Restaurant Group's Acquisition Of Macaroni Grill: Assessing The Potential Risks And Rewards
- Should Denny's Adopt Marcato Capital's Plan For DineEquity?
- Ruth's Hospitality Group: 'Steak' Your Claim To A 13% Free Cash Flow Yield With Upside, Part 2
- Ruth's Hospitality Group: 'Steak' Your Claim To A 13% Free Cash Flow Yield With Upside
- Del Frisco's: Can One Restaurant Really Inflate Company Operating Margins?