Investing Doc

View Investing Doc's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Stocks Are Not Milk - So Don't Invest Like They Are [View article]
    Engaging style, easy to read, and direct. Followed!
    Jul 9, 2015. 11:18 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Primary Care Provider's Take On Afrezza [View article]
    FreeMkts,

I hope you do more research on your stocks than you do on your study of medical training. It's evident you rely upon stereotypes and myths to support your beliefs. I suppose there's no sense in arguing with you on this, and I don't personally need *your* support. Like I said, good luck on your investments.
    May 22, 2015. 12:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Primary Care Provider's Take On Afrezza [View article]
    FreeMkts,

Endocrinology is a subspecialty, which requires specialty training first, generally through an Internal Medicine residency. Generally speaking, board certifications require specialty residency training; one does not just become a family practice physician or an internist just by hanging a shingle straight out of medical school. Internal Medicine is a specialty, the same way Pediatrics and Family Practice are specialties. A quick search on Google or Wikipedia would have told you that-- either that, or, you know, actual training in medicine.
    May 22, 2015. 11:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Primary Care Provider's Take On Afrezza [View article]
    FreeMkts,

You reveal your ignorance. Maybe you're an embittered NP. Most Nurse Practitioners I know are quite competent indeed. That does not suggest that they are a priori better than doctors at patient care or at medicine in general. At any rate, there's little point in arguing about this with you. Good luck with your investments.
    May 22, 2015. 11:44 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Primary Care Provider's Take On Afrezza [View article]
    Rob,

We'll see. Or maybe there will be locusts. We've got about the same level of proof for both.
    May 21, 2015. 01:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Primary Care Provider's Take On Afrezza [View article]
    "Fact of the matter, Pediatricians and General Practice doctors are by and large not surgeons because they were not top of their class."

Wow. Just, wow. Are you a surgeon? or a doctor of any sort? How did you come up with this information?

"If you look at the method of training, nursing is better suited to general practice and have more direct patient care experience than MDs."

Seriously, you have absolutely zero idea of what you're talking about. Please stop.
    May 21, 2015. 01:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Primary Care Provider's Take On Afrezza [View article]
    Great article. Before anybody asks, I do not work as an NP in a small town, and I am not the provider in question in the article. I find it very interesting that MNKD's "supporters" or ostensible stockholders vilify the author in very much the same way as I was in the comment threads following my articles. The Hawk's PCP sounds quite similar in attitude and temperament to many other primary care providers.

I also find it interesting that many on these boards urge the author simply to "find another provider" to prescribe Afrezza for him. We live in interesting times when patients may be convinced that they know more than their healthcare providers, on the strength of an Internet search and a superficial understanding of pathophysiology.

Finally, I don't think this article says anything radically different than what I and many others have been saying: Afrezza will indeed find a niche; that this process will take time; and that to overcome physician reluctance to displace well-established therapies for well-controlled patients will take a raft of evidence or a change in guidelines. I think a sober assessment of MannKind's prospects serves Mannkind's stockholders better than mere breathless hype.
    May 20, 2015. 10:20 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Primary Care Provider's Take On Afrezza [View article]
    My profile says I'm a physician, John. Last I checked, that wasn't the same as an NP. Jeez, I feel like I need to get a restraining order.
    May 20, 2015. 10:02 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Afrezza's Slow Launch: It's Still Early, But I Kinda Told You So [View article]
    Amaknak,

I don't "hang on FDA data." I rely upon evidence. The Phase III trials required for FDA approval were designed, run, and funded by Mannkind. The post-hoc data in the study you cited from the AACE abstracts were also from a Mannkind-run trial. That the evidence wasn't enough to sway me is not really the FDA's doing.
    May 18, 2015. 08:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Half-Million Dollar Income Portfolio - May Update [View article]
    Value Portfolio,

Ah, well, it looks like we were using different timeframes-- that extra 20 years makes a huge difference! Yes, I agree, taking the timeframe out and assuming a stable rate of return, it's doable.

Now, about your stock picks...
    May 18, 2015. 04:59 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Half-Million Dollar Income Portfolio - May Update [View article]
    Value Portfolio,

I have to say I'm skeptical as well. A $500,000 yearly income from dividends alone is somewhat astounding for someone of modest or even average means. Even assuming a generous 10% yield-- which would have its own set of concerns-- the value would obviously have to be valued at $5 million. Assuming my math is correct, at the current portfolio value (about $3,000) and assuming annual contributions of $7200 a year, the portfolio would have to generate total returns of well over 200% yearly over a 30-year timespan to be worth $5 million. That's simply absurd.

Assuming a more realistic 8% nominal return, your yearly total contributions would have to increase by about $5,000 each year to hit your goal by 30 years.

It's not a zero chance, and maybe one of those OTC stocks you selected will take off, but the level of success required to achieve your stated goals would make Berkshire Hathaway's success over the years look like a crayon drawing. I just don't see how you get there.
    May 17, 2015. 10:11 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Amaknak,

No, I'm saying that I'm not a quack. I have no idea who Dr. Bode is, and really, I'm not sure how you managed to bring him into the conversation. I believe what you just expressed is what is typically known by the kids these days as a "non sequiter." Because really, it doesn't follow at all.

But thanks for putting down thousands of internists around the country who probably work way, way harder than you ever did and know way, way more about taking care of patients than you ever will.
    May 17, 2015. 04:44 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "ID,
    No, anonymity is what separates the quacks from the doctors. "

Nice try. Also, if you're so bold, feel free to post your license number, society credentials, your home address, and your social security number here. Because that makes sense to do, since you're totally not a quack and all.
    May 17, 2015. 04:41 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Amaknak,

A critical view of the evidence is what separates doctors in this age from the quacks of yesteryear. The data do not in fact necessarily show that, and the reasoning behind my assertion is listed in my response. This would be classic fodder for any resident-level Journal Club.
    May 16, 2015. 12:00 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    John,

Again, I've never said that Afrezza would not be of benefit to anybody, and in fact say in the BULLET POINTS that I think there's a large addressable market for it. I just think it'll take time for the evidence base to build up to the point where most physicians-- myself, included-- feel comfortable choosing it as first line. It's an exciting drug. Just not the Holy Grail.
    May 15, 2015. 11:58 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment