Inzkeeper

View Inzkeeper's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Horizon North Logistics Technical Entry Point [View article]
    Hi Boom Boom,
    I looked at BDI before buying this just to compare and it's certainly a better company. I think you're doing great. The services companies have taken a hit of about 20%. I think that with Horizon North the nearly 50% hit, though not completely undeserved, is a bit much and as all these companies lift, this one should lift more quickly. I don't have to wait around for the full recovery or think that the company is a good long term partner to be happy with my returns. I might, I just don't have to. The decision will rest on chart reading and when a long-term opportunity comes along I want to use the money for. I have made 7 purchases in July and August and only one has not exceeded my expectations. I'm starting to run out of cash for the Sept/Oct buying season!
    Aug 22 10:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Horizon North Logistics Technical Entry Point [View article]
    Thanks Seth. This one is just a 'wait and see' type of purchase. I have a plan, but there are several roads to that plan. I agree, if the dividend it cut, I'm gone on the whispers.
    Aug 22 09:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Horizon North Logistics Technical Entry Point [View article]
    The Brookfield group of companies seem to do very well. I don't own them or follow them. If I did own, I would probably own the parent company. Brookfield Asset Management (NYSE:BAM) or TSX:BAM.A and get the benefit of each of the divisions. However, it doesn't have the nice dividend I usually look for. They are quite a convoluted mix of assets and harder to understand than most companies. I often hear about the Renewable Resource division. All but the parent company trades thinly. Not usually something I would choose. I tend to stick to larger cap, well known.

The Canadian REITs I own are RIO CAN, (OTCPK:RIOCF) TSX:REI.UN and H&R REIT (OTCPK:HRUFF) TSX:HR.UN. (the 2 largest) I am considering Pure Industrial TSX:AAR.UN as well for diversification.

Other Cdn companies I own are,
    Telus (NYSE:TU), BCE (NYSE:BCE) ATD.B, Cineplex (I think this one will do great next year) CNR, GG, ENB, Interpipeline (IPL) Crescent Point (NYSE:CPG), HSE, RY, TD, BNS, NA,
    Aug 21 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Correction Arrived Early For Walgreen - So Now What After Only OK Dividend Hike? [View article]
    I'm considering exactly that. It looks like the chart might be rolling over already and by noon, I'll make a decision based on today's action. Either way, it's not much, but a nice little boost to the returns of the original shares, if I do. And if it drops again (see GIS chart), I can repurchase my shares. If it continues higher, I still have my original shares. Kinda win/win...or at least not lose/not lose! ;)
    Aug 15 09:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Frothy Market, Impending Correction - What's A Dividend Growth Investor To Do? [View article]
    Paul, this is why our banks are such great investments! :)
    Because of the $9.99 fee, I like to buy at least $2000 at a time. So my children only have 4 and 8 stocks respectively.
    Aug 11 03:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I bought a quite small amount of WAG and WMT at around the same time about a year ago. WMT has done basically nothing but the dividend in the same time period yet I was up close to 30% in WAG before the drop. I doubled my WAG position on the drop, averaging up. I agree it is isn't a great 'deal', but as a long term small holding, I should be fine with it. I'm looking for future dividends and don't need them right away. The dividend history has been juicier than some, but this raise is a bit tepid.

In the last few weeks I also bought ROST, and Alimentation Couche-Tard in the retail sector.

I don't like sitting on as much cash as I have been, but if WAG recovers quickly, the new shares may be on the chopping block to be redeployed into something more attractive...if I can find something.
    Aug 8 03:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes. Sadly, in the midsummer, the snowball does seem to melt a little. But fall is coming and I'm enjoying buying some future dividends to keep my snowball rolling all winter!
    Aug 8 03:04 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why It's Hard To Buy The Hershey Company [View article]
    I have been watching HSY for a couple of years. I didn't buy only because it was overvalued. I would have an almost 50% gain, though! I have been salivating at the thought of finding an attractive entry point.

James, I fully agree, Lindor truffles are my favorite chocolate. It doesn't matter what it costs. I'd rather own my favorite chocolate, but it is just not as easy to own.

Mike, I agree. I took another hard look at COST before I bought ROST, and I still couldn't justify it.
    Aug 1 03:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversification Dissertation For Income Investors [View article]
    I worked specifically to diversify my holdings to 25. I now have over 30. Since I am adding enough to the portfolio to buy a new holding at least monthly, I am now often torn between buying an existing holding or taking hold of an opportunity. (ie. looking at HNL.TO today) Do I buy more WMT or initiate a position in ROST? (I chose ROST recently). I try to be diversified across all 10 sectors (I have no utilities yet, doesn't seem to be the right macro time).

Diversification is also often related to the size of the portfolio up to a minimum amount. I don't think it makes sense to have a 50 stock portfolio with only $50,000. A 5 stock portfolio makes sense with $10k (I hold 8 for a child with $20,000). To me, a 50 stock portfolio only makes sense over $200k. If the average American only has $50,000, it hardly makes sense to have over 20.
    Jul 30 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Are In! [View article]
    Thanks for commenting, allupside. Nice to meet a fellow Canadian and learn from your experience.
    Faye
    Jul 30 10:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ross: Invest For Even Less? [View article]
    Hello Woodstock. Glad I'm not alone! Like your bio, and heartily agree with the conclusion.
    Jul 21 03:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ross: Invest For Even Less? [View article]
    Thanks for the link to Josh's work. I look forward to catching up on some new listening.
    Jul 21 10:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ross: Invest For Even Less? [View article]
    I was discussing store quality in a private message and the person liked the TJ Maxx and Marshalls stores much better than their local Ross which was described as dingy.

Looking at TJX on Google Finance, I found out they own the Winner's/Home Sense chain here in Canada. (Winner's and Home Sense here usually share one building, with Home Sense being the home departments (housewares, linens, accessory furniture and Winner's being the clothing side).

Living many hours from the border, too far to cross-border shop, I have never been to a TJ Maxx or Marshalls. In general, I do not find Winner's a good store to shop in. Ross' prices were a deal - name brand pants for $10. At Winner's they expect me to root through off-price merchandise and then pay $40 for the pants. No thanks. I'd rather shop at an outlet store of a brand name store and pay the $40 knowing it is reasonably current style, or pay $8 at the used clothing store. I have gotten great items occasionally and maybe the 2 stores close to me are just too picked over, but I don't enjoy shopping there.

How do others perceive the difference in shopping quality at TJX vs. ROST?
    Jul 20 04:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ross: Invest For Even Less? [View article]
    Thank you very much Alex.
    You guys have such sharp eyes! Yes, it does make a difference, even better! I'll have it corrected in the article and one of these days take an Xcel course!
    Faye
    Jul 20 04:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ross: Invest For Even Less? [View article]

Hi Canadian,
    Listening? to Josh Peters? I'll have to look that up. I have been going through the list above of Top 10 Dividend Investing books. Fortunately my library has most of them.

Both Google Finance and Ross's website said they were largest. Now, there are various definitions of largest. Largest by market cap, largest by # of stores, largest by employees, revenue. I think this referred to market cap.
    Jul 20 11:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment