Inzkeeper

View Inzkeeper's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 6 Rules To Asset Location [View article]
    Thank you robandcindy for the links. I will be looking into them.

I mentioned in the article that withholding taxes on dividends in non-registered accounts are claimable on the tax return, but I like to keep things as simple as possible and not have withholding to start with so I keep them (generally) in the retirement account.

You make a very good point though. I guess the rule is just 'do not keep them in the tax free account.' At this point my non-registered accounts are very small and will be for at least another 2 years, so not much room for holding them there.

Faye
    Jul 7 10:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Are In! [View article]
    I'm feeling a little schizophrenic:
    I want my stocks to go up so I have nice gains and feel good about my portfolio. I want my stocks to go down so I can buy more. Arrrrrrrrrrrggggggg.

How about a few either way and the rest just get me the 9% I want? That's not asking too much, is it?

Glad you came by, Eddie.
    Jul 6 05:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Are In! [View article]
    I hesitate to jump into the line of fire here, but well, why not? We certainly have no need to be overly critical and judgmental of others choices, they are theirs to make.

Just a few side comments on small bits. The article I am working on now discusses DRIPping, why I don't generally, and why I do specifically so I'll ignore that for now.

I think it is a completely unnecessary tragedy that North Americans are generally uneducated in personal finance and investing. (as is our literacy rate, but I do try to stay on topic). Through my tax work I see a broad spectrum of financial literacy and I take every opportunity to teach. I am just as eager to learn and value patient teachers. I have no flair for poetry and the effort required to read between the lines - just a vague appreciation for the ability to use words in a form so uniquely pretty and lyrical. I guess I really should have been an accountant! So when I do get that article written that includes my approach to DRIPping I hope you will comment and critique and explain the why's of your approach.

When I was in school the smart kids took calculus and algebra and only the ones who would never go to university took finance math. What a shame for me. I excelled in physics and algebra, but I wish I had exposure to finance back then. I ensured my children were well versed in finance and dragged them to every meeting I ever had with every advisor and professional (insurance, lawyer, etc) where they were expected to listen quietly. My daughter started her successful business at age 9 in order to dollar-cost-average into an investment as she heard about in one of the meetings. The minimum was $25/mo and her allowance was only $12. They are well versed in finance and investments and now they generally wish I would shut up, though they are happy to have me manage their portfolios and help run the business!

Even so, I would still consider myself an uneducated investor until recent years. There's nothing like doing it yourself to get an education quick and the advisor who suggested this path made it clear she was available at anytime and I made use of that to ask many questions. At any rate, anyone who hangs around here is not likely to remain uneducated for long!

I have still been hearing that the average investor who got out at near the bottom in 2008 is still on the sidelines. (Market Call Tonight, July 2, first segment) What a shame. This and the aging population makes me think we are not ready for a bigger correction yet, just smaller ones.

(In case you may think we were some of the ones that got out at the market bottom, we didn't get out, we discovered months after the fact that our advisor dumped the little left in cash and closed up shop. Our bad for letting the professionals handle it and not be involved. I didn't know enough to even read the statements. I saw losses, but the market does that, right? I didn't pay attention enough to really understand what happened as the statements stopped and then changed. It wasn't until I went to the vacant office that I finally figured it out. They were the professionals. I'll never again not be quite involved. I may even use an advisor again, but I will certainly keep on top of things and even indexing may be a good option if I get to the point of not being able to manage it.)

However, I was exiting trades, moving up in quality, selling off and taking profits in things I am not as confident about and getting the funds tucked into dividend-growth names over the winter and spring. I like my current portfolio far better. I expect the cash I have will be fully invested by the end of this quarter with little dips (like GIS) along the way. Looking at my portfolio through the filtering lens of 2008 a few months back was very helpful in seeing where some of the pitfalls lie, though, of course, the situation will be different. Being mentally and emotionally prepared for what may come and as was mentioned, running the portfolio like a business have been very helpful. It takes time to determine your own investment business plan and strategies and I feel like I'm finally getting that all defined and sorted out.
    Jul 6 04:55 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Are In! [View article]
    Thank you Rose. I don't think you can go wrong with BCE & SJR for the long term. The dividends just keep rolling in. I don't have Shaw, but it's hard to go wrong with a company that is rooted with one family, providing their trust income. You can be sure the interests of shareholders are forefront.
    Jul 6 02:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Are In! [View article]
    Thank you bjamesh for the suggestions.
    I hear lots about FCR on Market Call Tonight (I hadn't missed an episode in 2 yrs until this spring. I'm enjoying watching it, and sometimes even Market Call as well every day again. I pull it up on the laptop and it keeps me company to clean the kitchen and cook with!

Since I already have RioCan and H&R, I would probably be looking for something quite different in the REIT arena, such as an a more industrial focused REIT. TSE:AAR.UN. FCR seems to be similar to what I already have. I have only heard of WPC but I'll look into that, thank you for the suggestions. I am also thinking of TSE:HNL as well, as the oil patch has been ramping up again, but it isn't something I would consider 'safe' and I have not yet done the research. It seems like a nice fit from a higher level portfolio view but am only in the thinking stage with it. Like I said - starting to feel constraints!
    Jul 6 02:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Miz,
    When I think of independent thinking, I think of you and colouring with all the crayons in the box! :) If I had the right kind of cash in the right kind of account I would have bought the mREITs as you suggested and been a very happy camper. I didn't, but my mind was opened to a different way of thinking. Vale will have to do for now. I look forward to hearing more of your great ideas.
    Jul 6 02:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Are In! [View article]
    Keep rambling Maybenot, I enjoy it very much. Having the goal of 40 companies makes trimming outsized positions and redeploying them very purposeful. Are you finding constraints as you approach the 40? This is what I have experienced and will start writing about this week. There are so many varied reasons for each little action.
    Jul 6 02:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Are In! [View article]
    Thanks Charlie. I hope to continue this conversation privately, during the week.
    Jul 6 11:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Are In! [View article]
    "Whatever we want!" she says facetiously!

The reality is that I would never have imagined doing what I am doing just 4 years ago. How could I ever imagine what is in store for the future 5, 10, 15 or 20 years from now? Given the choice though, it would include giving, service and someplace warm for the Canadian cold months!

My mother proved these were not mutually exclusive. When she retired from nursing she hopped aboard Mercy Ships for the winter months for four years as an OR Nurse in the eye department. Look them up at mercyships.org. A great organization doing amazing work.

I agree that it is truly amazing what a little focus and hard work can accomplish. What a completely different vantage point in just a few years. I sure wouldn't have gotten here by continuing as a typical financial advisor client. Being mentored here made a huge difference.
    Jul 6 11:14 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Are In! [View article]
    Thanks Archman, that is how things work here as well in our similar types of accounts (except not REITs). I've been doing the research to confirm for the next article and you explain it well.
    Thank you for weighing in.
    Jul 6 10:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Are In! [View article]
    BH above also recommended letting IPL run. Someone else mentioned that if you are not sure of a decision, do nothing and I have usually taken that route as well, which is why I haven't done anything yet. Since reading your comment and considering a reply, I have been reflecting on my past history of trimming of overvalued winners. In general, it hasn't turned out to be a great idea. I'm usually right in the short term, reading a short-term top, but almost everything has continued to run in the long term which is why I don't think the decisions have turned out to be strongly positive. I have done far better by temporarily overweighting on a correction and selling the excess shares after.

If I had a better idea waiting in the wings, it would be quite different and I probably would have already sold, but I don't really. I think I have decided not to outright sell, but am still pondering a stop-loss order for 1/3 with a healthy margin, just in case - partly just because of the account it is currently in. And there we are back to asset location again. Sigh.

It is so helpful to have feedback and the stimulation of questions and critique. I've missed writing and participating here.
    Jul 5 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Are In! [View article]
    As a Canadian I cannot speak to the Roth. Hopefully someone else will jump right in.

However, we have a similar registered account called a Tax Free Savings Account (TFSA), on which gains are simply tax free. It is not covered by the tax treaty we have with the US so there is unrecoverable withholding tax on dividends by US corporations. I would gather that this is reciprocal and that you would be better to hold Canadian securities in a traditional IRA. But as I say, I'm not American. Asset location is the topic of my next article still in the works.
    Jul 5 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Charlie,
    Oh no. The 24% total return is not 'wow'. It's a really great 'whoo-hoo' though!

The real wows for last year for me were
    1. That the portfolio was up 82%! (the difference being the contributions!) and it doubled for the fourth time! It almost doubled in one year again, but I wasn't really expecting that, as it gets progressively more difficult! Can you imagine were were able to contribute THAT much! It's a huge win! :) I'm easily as excited about the contributions compared to the unrealized capital gains market gift (which is a truly lovely gift) as it demonstrates my care, stewardship of finite resources and commitment to the plan.

2. Dividends were up 170.4% yoy 2013 over 2012!!! They were not and are not quite where I want to be but I'm getting there! I'm always more excited about progress than product.

The end of year article:

We now have more $ in the portfolio than the money we lost (remember, no pensions for back up - the portfolio is all there is) That's a little less exciting - ok maybe even a little depressing, but I would never have though we would be here by now. I might be able to tip the portfolio over 200k this year but I'm thinking more rental property instead of contributions. I'll decide next week. Another side benefit of the rental property is security for the future as we would be pre-buying our possible retirement condo and letting it pay for itself until we're ready to sell the house and move in. Essentially locking our future residence in at current prices and interest rates. We may buy a couple of places to have options. Any leftover property we don't need can simply be sold for the cap gains...future portfolio windfalls either in the next market swing or when we don't want to manage it anymore. We have a cyclical housing market here, which can be played like the stock market and with interest rates as they are, it makes it even more attractive.
    Jul 5 02:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Are In! [View article]
    My journey has been a varied, interesting one, but not of my own design. Several right people have come on the scene at the right time and I am deeply indebted to them. I have been willing to do the work and jump down the rabbit holes when I see them, and am now happy to share what I've learned. 3 years ago, I was afraid it was too late for us. Now I'm left wondering what the next rabbit hole will be, and am excited to find out what the courses in the fall will bring.
    Jul 5 01:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Craig,
    I'm glad I am providing you with research fodder! I guess I should have expanded that to say, "many of the usual suspects for a Canadian dividend-growth investor" :) hee hee
    Jul 5 01:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment