Inzkeeper

View Inzkeeper's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Defining, Measuring And Diversifying Income Risk [View article]
    I think the amount you care about income risk (vs. investment risk) is directly related to your stage and how many years to retirement, so the accumulation/distribution phase of portfolio management was indirectly and automatically addressed in the article in my opinion.

I really enjoyed the article and all the thinking and planning went into it. Love those charts! It made me think of things from a different perspective, (I'm not in retirement yet) which is always a great experience as the whole point of investing is planning for the future.
    Thanks for writing,
    Faye
    May 30, 2015. 04:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends At A Reasonable Price: Toronto-Dominion Bank And Royal Bank Of Canada [View article]
    Peter, your approach is simple and wise and anyone who follows it will do very well over the long term!
    My intention was to do exactly that (eventually) by buying whichever of the three seems to be the best deal at the time with the money I had on hand. Of course the way I'm doing it is far from simple, but hopefully the results will end up the same when we do finally retire; which is equal weight in TD, RY, & BNS for the very long term.
    Thanks for your simple, clear statement!
    faye
    May 29, 2015. 11:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Earnings reports for both banks were beats but with cautions. Stocks fell for the first few hours of trading. I bought a nibble (just 50 shares) of TD at $55.47 and more than twice as many shares of RY at 79.23. RY recovered during the day, TD not so much. We'll find out in a few months how stupid that was, but I'm still looking for still more of both. What I actually did was even off the remaining shares I want, so that both what I want and will end up with will be even lots...great for options!
    May 28, 2015. 08:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends At A Reasonable Price - Part 2 [View article]
    Thanks Smarty. Good suggestions and I'll definitely ask. I am already curious about the exercise fee. My fees are 9.99 for the options trade plus an exercise fee that I am not sure how much. I may just have to open a more discount discount brokerage account for this!

Why does it always feel like there's so much more to do and learn than time? Lots of meetings this week already and I'm looking forward to it all! Must find time to go to the pool though!
    Faye
    May 24, 2015. 09:08 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends At A Reasonable Price - Part 2 [View article]
    Follow up to the conversation on options and Derek Foster's books:

I got Derek Foster's book "Money For Nothing: And Your Stocks for Free" out of the library, but while I was waiting for it to be transferred from a larger library I took the only book on options that was available locally. That one is twice as long, twice as challenging to understand and the print is several times smaller, but I'm am learning many times more from it.

I got Derek Foster's book yesterday afternoon and polished it off in 2 hours. It was very basic, easy to read and full of lots of caveats stating clearly that this is only an introduction to his strategy selling puts to either earn the premium or to buy the stock at essentially a cheaper price considering you've already earned the premium - what he describes as win-win. It is certainly not all you need to know about options, just the absolute bare minimum, but his friendly, easy writing style made it very easy to absorb. He is clear and logical and explains throughly. I will be reading his other books as one of them sounds like a basic introduction to DGI and might be good to recommend (with caveats, of course) to people who are interested in what I am doing and don't know where to start. I'll be ordering them from the library as well.

Also he writes from a Canadian perspective and having never read a Canadian oriented investing book, I realized I wasn't constantly translating terminology. It was quite refreshing actually!

I want to do a second skim over the Money for Nothing book before I return it, which I don't do often for books.

Meanwhile the other book, "Understanding Options" by Michael Sincere is work to read and understand. Compared to the 2 hours to thoroughly understand Derek Foster's book. I've spent 6 hours and am only 2/3 in. I could read it all again as there's so much information that is brand new to me and I'd learn a lot a second time through. Chances are I won't, I'll just move onto another options book to get another take on it, and with the background this has/will give me, I'll be able to understand the next one substantially better.

If anyone has a recommended resource on options, I'd like to hear about it.
    Thanks for starting the discussion Hilo and for everyone's input. It's so much fun to study something brand new that was previously incomprehensible.
    May 24, 2015. 04:41 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I don't disagree Bossco,
    TD is the most fully valued. I bought NA for a family member's account a year ago for just the reasons you mentioned. TD has outperformed largely because of its US exposure. NA and BMO are still better deals to buy, but I still think TD will do better than they will for the next year or two. They each have benefits and I wouldn't say buying any of them is wrong. TD is the favoured horse right now, that's all. Maybe we need a momentum strategy for the Cdn Banks instead of the popular buy the dog strategy? I'm being facetious. Some days I just want to throw a dart.
    May 23, 2015. 10:07 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, I am still quite light in utilities. During the taper tantrum I piled into REITs and Telecoms and told myself I'd get into Utilities the next spring...but I didn't. I was busy buying US companies. The Utilities did unusually fabulous. But as the dollar dropped so did the companies I bought.

Thank you so much for the recommendation of CU. I"ll be looking into it over the weekend. If you have any other favorite utilities, or favorite stocks i should look into, keep suggesting them!

That goes for you other commenters too!
    May 22, 2015. 08:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Just in: RBC fees news. I almost discussed this in the article but I couldn't imagine it would stick. Even Canadians won't lie down for everything!

May 22, 2015. 04:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Juleman,
    The right currency, in the right account, at the right time seems a more difficult challenge than choosing the right company's stock to invest in, don't you agree?
    Sometimes I do things less than ideal, but I don't like having bits of my stocks across accounts. Even with lots of cash to invest it hasn't been simple and I've already bought shares I intend to transfer to different accounts in December.
    It's nice to have an ideal to work towards though it's not going to happen soon.
    May 22, 2015. 04:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends At A Reasonable Price: BCE [View article]
    Fcbergeron,
    Its always sad when you are forced to do something for someone else's rules. Will you be buying your F shares back in another account, or just happily smiling all the way to the bank?
    May 22, 2015. 04:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Augie,
    Thanks for the compliments. I write because it forces me to process the information I am absorbing and organize my racing thoughts about what I should do. Thankfully I'm not trying to attract pageviews or I would be failing miserably choosing Canadian stocks as a topic which have usually less than half other articles. My previous article was about BCE,
    http://seekingalpha.co... in case you missed it. I hope eventually to get through all of the holdings I want to purchase, but it's going to take some serious time. I'm not at all an expert, just an individual willing to invest the time (and who has the time) to make research a priority. My favorite part is the comment stream, getting to hear other's opinions once I have thrown my thesis and conclusions into the ring.
    May 22, 2015. 04:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Way to go OTE! You won't be disappointed over the long term.

Liquid: I'm doing my best to write on Cdn stocks, especially since what I'm looking at buying is almost all Cdn.

Juleman: Bought some the other day! Didn't get the lowest price, but I'm okay with that. If it falls more, I"ll be waiting to buy.
    May 22, 2015. 01:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Great Andy, sounds like a good plan! I'm reading all about options these days and attending seminars. Happy innkeeping!
    Faye
    May 22, 2015. 01:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, May 28 for TD (the next ones being August 27, 2015 and October 3, 2015 as reported for the article) and also May 28 for RY. I spend days and days reading and researching for articles (I'm not a formulaic writer, but am actively thinking, pondering and deciding for my own portfolio) and am never sure exactly when an article will be finished or published. Please forgive me.
    I only wish I had the house $ ready for deployment earlier for the banks. Just maybe there will be an opportunity in the next couple of weeks (though I hope their earnings are spectacular, of course)
    Maybe I made an error not just buying them at current price immediately. We'll see.
    May 22, 2015. 01:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    "These are stocks which should be considered for purchase whenever they are relatively cheap and then never sold."

My thoughts exactly. I only wish I understood that in 2011! I'd be an even happier Canadian bank owner! My big problem now is knowing whether they will be relatively cheaper soon! Maybe I should have bought last week!?
    May 22, 2015. 01:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment