IP Hawk

View IP Hawk's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Contest: Describe Your Best Contrarian Idea For A Chance At Big Prizes [View article]
    This should have some very interesting submissions. I look forward to reading them.
    Apr 15, 2015. 06:51 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Marvell Goes To Washington: The Billion-Dollar Hour Of Argument [View article]
    Excellent coverage. Thank you.
    Apr 10, 2015. 04:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • New Patent Legislation: Impacts On Publicly-Traded Patent Investments [View article]
    I don't see it, especially with DSS or INVT who have patent backed debt deals with Fortress.
    Apr 7, 2015. 06:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shire - Kyle Bass's 2nd Target [View article]
    @Ross

I believe there are also other ways for Bass to profit from these filings other than shorting the common stock. I might put together an article in the future with my thoughts.

I think his other claims make for good media, but generating profits for his fund is his real goal.
    Apr 3, 2015. 10:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shire - Kyle Bass's 2nd Target [View article]
    @JDoe

A patent entity tried filing a RICO suit against a 3rd party IPR petitioner. It did work out so well. I don't believe there is any basis to file a civil action against a petitioner for damages. If the patent owner is successful they will come away with the patent intact and a nice legal bill to keep the patent valid.

Apr 2, 2015. 01:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shire - Kyle Bass's 2nd Target [View article]
    @ross

I have not found where it is illegal to do so. This strategy is not exactly new. A NPE (PRKR) had IPRs filed against them by a known critic and short seller of their stock. There are a handful of other suspect instances of IPR filings of publicly traded patent companies and aggressive short selling of the stock.

FWIW, these are also not lawsuits. The IPRs are patent office petitions to review the patents. It was supposed to be a cheap and quick alternative to district court litigation as it pertains to validity. With any new system there are always unintended consequences.

BOL
    Apr 2, 2015. 12:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @mg62bk

I typically either see a partnership or outright acquisition of the patents. The partnership usually includes some upfront money and a percentage of any collections.
    Mar 25, 2015. 06:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Of Seeking Alpha, From One Contributor's Perspective [View article]
    This is a really good initiative that will take some time to launch and evolve. Investors looking for unique ideas or trades that have good probabilities to make money will be buyers of this kind of research.

Continuing to keep paid subs or adding new ones will be driven solely by performance, which is a very good thing. Not all ideas will work or will have theses that change. Having a sub service allows the author to have flexibility and more control over their content.

I have written & sold my own reports separate from SA, which have been very successful getting complicated information organized and explained. People will pay for research and ask for more.

It won't be for everyone, but I am sure the successful subscriptions fees will be easily covered by one or two really good ideas presented. If they aren't the author's sub plan will not be successful.

A sub plan based on covering Apple, Google, FB will not get the author anywhere. The sub plan should be for an author who can present 10 unique long/short opportunities per year in either biotech, tech, special situations, energy, etc that have a good chance of returning 25%+ and is able to hit on 7 of them.

BOL Chris and everyone involved.
    Mar 25, 2015. 03:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Marvell Technology Group Likely To Win Its Appeal Against Carnegie Mellon [View article]
    Interesting. Thank you. I might attend the hearing on the 7th if my schedule allows. BOL
    Mar 24, 2015. 11:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Great article. Curious how you found who the panel Judges that will be at the oral hearing. Usually it isn't known until the hearing starts.
    Mar 24, 2015. 11:02 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bull Case For Mavenir Systems [View article]
    Great research. Always happy for a takeout, although with some patience I thought this could have been a huge winner over the next 2-5 years.

Congrats to investors and the Mavenir team.
    Mar 2, 2015. 06:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kyle Bass's Assault On Pharma Patents [View article]
    The first IPR has been filed against $ACOR.

http://bit.ly/1CQZQ36 .
    Feb 10, 2015. 01:44 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo closes up 30.6% on ZTE settlement hopes [View news story]
    "It now appears Vringo, who was "slow rolling" the Romania cash deposit, may have done so to provoke ZTE into filing a FRAND lawsuit here in the United States ... "

This does not make any sense.....
    Feb 9, 2015. 05:11 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Spherix: One Year Later And Future Outlook [View article]
    DD80,

I wrote a blog entry on the subject yesterday about the buyout offer.

Feb 4, 2015. 10:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's A MARA-Thon, Not A Sprint In The Patent Monetization Space [View article]
    I would have to research if the construction used any extrinsic evidence. I always hope for a settlement, but we will see. I plan to attend the trial when the time comes.
    Feb 2, 2015. 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment