IP Hawk

View IP Hawk's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Spherix: More Information Known - A PAE To Invest In? [View article]
    I am not actually sure. I have started a beginning position, but would not be surprised if there was further weakness from shares being registered and sold. My opinion is the risk/reward has substantially improved from the price and date the article was published. It also does not take into account the second Rockstar patent purchase, which I believe is a very big deal for Spherix. I believe the market continues to not understand how to evaluate IP investments and represents an opportunity by those who can analyze the space.

I plan to have a comprehensive writeup in the near term future, but am unsure how I am going to distribute at the moment.
    Apr 17 09:10 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Tortoise Series: Part 19 - Potash Corp. Fertilizer Or Just A Load Of Manure? [View article]
    Excellent series of articles. I especially appreciate your recommendation of covered calls, which I believe is the best kept secret in the markets. Being only 30 and able to absorb substantial more risk than most lets play the tortoise and the hair at the same time, with holdings of blue chip stocks along with more speculative names.

I have found one of the strategies that separates the pros from the joes is the ability to lock in profits and to cut losers quickly. Covered calls is an easy way to regulate yourself from not giving back gains or to at least to protect yourself from a decline or take advantage of "quiet periods". Selling puts the past 3-4 years has also been a big winner in a huge bull market. I am getting the sense that party is starting to come to an end.

Best,

David
    Apr 15 03:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Spherix: A Focused Play On Patent Monetization [View article]
    I don't think there is an expectation the patents receive cash any time soon. None of the other PIPCO's except ACTG, RMBS, TSRA, and IDCC are consistently putting 7,8,9 figures on their top line. SPEX is not in that class of companies yet.

The investment will be rewarded as they file more cases and the lawyers execute by getting the cases too trial. As it goes through the various steps, investors will constantly reevaluate and reward/punish the investment as the cases develop.

Contrary to popular belief, SPEX the company is not broken or have any problems. It is currently the victim of its share structure, which I outlined in an article last year. I view the risk/reward currently very favorable, but would not be surprised if I am buying shares in the high $1s. I don't expect the 17M valuation and $56M fully diluted value to stay at these levels for very long, especially with a Markman hearing scheduled in October.

The patents purchased from Rockstar appear to be very strong and encompass a widely used technology at a world class R&D house at the time in Nortel.

The promotion of Hudson Bay and Iroquois as world class institutions is rather interesting. You would be better off investing in their actual funds, not buying their paper in the secondary market. The deals they structure almost guarantee a huge profit for their funds, but create issues when the paper is sold into the market. I am trying to figure out why you are so enamored with them. Most of the deals they put together are almost untouchable for at least a year as the companies need to clean up the dilutive paper. DSS, MGT, and SPEX are good examples.
    Apr 13 08:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Marathon Patent Group Continues To Evolve [View article]
    Marathon under their new subsidiary filed four patent infringement lawsuits against Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, and Kia last night.

I will keep providing coverage as new developments progress.
    Apr 2 11:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • VirnetX/Apple: What Does Apple Owe? [View article]
    Hypothetically, if HJD's rulings are affirmed, what would you think of the investment and the effects on future damage models of non-Virnetx patent infringement lawsuits?

TIA.
    Mar 30 12:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Marathon Patent Group Continues To Evolve [View article]
    Marathon under its CRFD Research subsidiary filed suit against F5 Networks and Riverbed in Delaware:

There are now 17 defendants being litigated under this portfolio's monetization efforts.
    Mar 25 01:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2nd Half 2013 PIPCO Analysis In Review: 2014 Lining Up For A Big Year [View article]
    Articles are not supposed to move stocks. They are to provide information for investors to understand or consider in conjunction with their own research in their investment decision making process.

The sector is rapidly expanding and with the right positioning and outlook investors and/or traders are cleaning up.

An investor in the IP space needs to consider many different options or scenarios to be successful. Based on feedback from professionals in the space, my content presents some of the best and most accurate analysis that is freely available.
    Mar 25 12:21 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Signature Exploration And Production Corp. Is The Newest Marijuana Stock [View article]

"Convertible notes from shareholders accrue interest at a rate of 10 percent per annum. The note holders have the sole option of converting the principal and interest represented by these notes into our common stock at a strike price equal to a $0.10. The note holders will only be allowed to convert shares or portion thereof to the extent that, at the time of the conversion, the conversion will not result in the note holders beneficially owning more than 9.9% of the issued and outstanding common shares of the Company."

I see close to $680,000 worth of convertible debt and interest, convertible at $.10. Were they able to clean this up in the recent agreement? There is a 9.99% ownership restriction, which could flood the market with shares.

TIA for any color you can provide.
    Mar 25 10:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Document Security Systems Vs. Salesforce Case Just Got Even More Interesting [View article]
    "From what I understand and hear, DSS has a relatively small stake in VirtualAgility. Depending on how the winnings are divided up, a small award could have a very negative impact on shares. "

Can you clarify this text? What do you understand or hear?
    Mar 18 09:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Activision Blizzard Fails To Have Worlds Patents Ruled Completely Invalid; Case Marches On [View article]
    MA, excellent commentary as usual. I plan on writing a blog update to explain my thoughts on the development in relation to the investment.

I would recommend reading the 3Q 10Q subsequent events section and promissory notes that were issued in October.
    Mar 14 01:12 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Marathon Patent Group Continues To Evolve [View article]
    @Kurt

I like ACTG as well. I plan to get back in at some point in the future. I was nervous about holding through earnings and nervous about Q1 2014 earnings as they have not announced many new settlements so far. 2H 2014 and 2015 should be a very interesting year for ACTG as they will have cases very close to trial or going to trial.

I like MARA for the "early" stage that it is in and valuation that is 15X+ less than ACTG. If the valuation only becomes 14X less, the investment would be very profitable for investors. Management has a strong track record and has acquired some very good IP.

Thanks for the read.
    Mar 12 03:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • VirnetX's Royalty Triumph Is Excellent News [View article]
    Thanks. You might want to edit the JP Moreno whitepaper piece as his estimates involve a global settlement/license with Apple.
    Mar 10 12:07 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • VirnetX's Royalty Triumph Is Excellent News [View article]
    Please remove the reference to my blog post.
    Mar 10 11:49 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LiveDeal.com Is Not Generating Any Revenue [View article]
    Train Wreck 10Q and 50M shelf filing. $600k revenues, $400k net loss. Only spent $27,000 in sales and marketing.
    Feb 14 05:23 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Capitalizing On Cannabis: Marijuana Investing Moves To Main Street [View article]
    Alan,

You have been at the forefront of these companies and have provided fantastic coverage and exposing the realities of these investments. Everyone that asks me about these investments, I immediately tell them to read your work.

Keep up the excellent work.
    Feb 3 06:20 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment