J. M. Manness

View J. M. Manness' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple And Icahn: Pillars Of Growth [View article]
    "Is it possible that Apple is positioning itself..."

I suppose this is a possibility, but I am not sure what it would be doing in this line beyond Car Play or possibly super batteries.

To my mind they appear to be after the whole enchilada at this point. But who know?

Thnaks for the comment.
    Jun 1, 2015. 10:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    monty

With all due respect...

Apple has not had any problem "making a battery for the Apple Watch that lasts longer than one day. " It is just that the state of the art at this point in time does not provide the physical capability of making one that would fit into their physical design objective. So they opted for a battery that lasts for a full day, and to keep their design.

If you would prefer a larger, heavier watch with a many-day battery, then I am afraid the Apple Watch is not for you. On the other hand, I believe that for many people this is not an issue.

Regards

JMM
    May 31, 2015. 11:00 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    anyoption...
    "I have a problem with valuing a company based on products that we don't even know exist or will exist. "

Definitely! I completely agree.

The problem for the investor is precisely this. Does one invest on the possibility and risk the loss if it does not pan out? Or does one wait for assurances and miss the opportunity to get in before the rush?

Thanks for your comment!

JMM
    May 30, 2015. 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple And Icahn: Pillars Of Growth [View article]
    "some disruptive tech that would change that equation?"

Look at the television. Apple thought it might be able to enter that field with a disruptive product (I have always been skeptical), they invested for many years, but finally decided they could not enter it in a long term profitable way. So they dropped it.
    May 30, 2015. 12:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sam...

"that I own a Samsung a friend gave me after having smashed it on the sidewalk."

Sounds a bit like my pickup truck! :-D
    May 30, 2015. 12:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple And Icahn: Pillars Of Growth [View article]
    but why would Cook steer the company into a notoriously low-margin industry?

again - because they have some disruptive tech that would change that equation?
    May 29, 2015. 10:07 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    consultnick

You make a very good point. Although it does not preclude actually working on a car.

Still, I am not sure why you would need to higher some of the very best engineers in those fields in order to understand the drive train.

you say: "The list provided offers nothing regarding..." It is thought that over 100 people are currently working on the project, possibly many more. The list is not conclusive.

So, while I think your points need to be considered as they suggest a realistic alternative, but at this point no view is conclusive.

Thanks! JMM
    May 29, 2015. 10:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Ken

You are right that the Apple Car is not directly included in 2016 numbers. However, he does justify 18x PE in part due to expected future growth.

This is why I argue as I did.

Regards!

JMM
    May 29, 2015. 01:30 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    CJ
    " I have no idea what, if anything, AAPL might do in the car market, but the company has my trust and my faith based on its remarkable record."

After all, nobody had any idea what Apple was going to whip up for an iPhone either. Despite all the rumors - it was a big surprise.

regards
    May 28, 2015. 08:11 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    404

I agree completely - but Icahn relies on the physical television set - so this is to what I am referring.

Yes - I do agree with you that streaming is where it is at and Apple has figured that out. Also that this is a lot of future revenue that will make up for dumping the big screen.
    May 28, 2015. 07:34 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple And Icahn: Pillars Of Growth [View article]
    "If so, deploying that capital is going to create a better return than Mr. Blodget's notes."

Good point!
    May 28, 2015. 07:30 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BF

I think you discount Apple's ability to assemble a package of disruptive technology that would create a whole new product category - or at least revolutionize an existing one. If, for example, they could create an electric car with 400 mile range at a lower cost, then they might be able to create a real game changer.

I DO share your skepticism, however. Such a game changer is NOT a foregone conclusion, and thus very speculative. (IMO)

Thanks for your comment.

JMM
    May 28, 2015. 07:29 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Sharp's Problems Present An Opportunity, Not A Threat [View article]
    Mark - thanks for the interesting article.

My guess would be the joint venture route. I am not sure Apple would want to invest in the whole company. Here they would "sell" Sharp's computer display business (or a portion thereof) to the the joint venture. This would then give Apple proprietary display technology and production, but they would not have to run it.

Just one possibility.

Regards
    May 16, 2015. 11:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Earnings Call: Under The Radar Gems [View article]
    "Apple Pay is the main feature for the watch"

dezee

You continually make unsupported categorical statements such as this. It is absurd.

Apple Watch has a wide range of features. Each individual will buy the watch for those that mean the most to him/her. I have never seen any research that stated that Apple Pay was the driving factor for the majority of purchasers and even if it were this would NOT mean that other factors were not important as well.

I would like also like to see what you mean by "won't gain adoption." Would you please give your expected sales figures?

Regards JMM
    May 14, 2015. 02:51 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Brain = Abstraction Machine: A Fascinating Anecdote [View instapost]
    Thank you Alpine.

BTW - comments and Likes on the blog page itself are very helpful - if you are so inclined.

Regards - and best to you as well.
    May 6, 2015. 10:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment