J. M. Manness

View J. M. Manness' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Streaming - Potentially Worth Billions To The Bottom Line [View article]
    Woust

Which would you rather own share of....
    1 - The one that sells the most phones, OR
    2 - the one with the most profit from its cellphone?
    Jul 30, 2015. 04:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    gp

Here is another story for you.

My old buddy is now a very senior Unix programmer for a highly technical company - top notch. Do to the distance from his home - he telecommutes regularly.

After many years of my gently extolling the virtues of Mac, he finally bought a Mac Pro (yes - NOT macbook) to do video editing.

Now his company gave him a WinTel laptop for his VPN into work on his home days. This was specifically configured to to do the VPN. He found that it would drop the connection several times per day, for no known reason. He took it into work for IT to check out, but nothing changed. One day after repeated drops, he tried logging in via the Mac.

He found the Mac almost never dropped the connection (i.e. avg 1x per week). All this in spite of the fact that both were using the same wifi router.

Eventually he gave up on the Win machine altogether.
    Jul 24, 2015. 07:15 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    wellwell

Appreciate the comment.

I should note, however, that Apple has always supported many standard that detractors like to overlook. How about SCSI drives way back when? The first to make Intel's USB standard. HTML5 (as opposed to MS's disruptive, non-standard JScript. There are many more examples.

Regards!
    Jul 24, 2015. 07:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    gp

That is precisely my experience. Except that my current experience with my Mac is disappointing - most likely because it is older - but still...

Response time has gone to hell, I hate to say. But I do get very few crashed apps. 1x or 2x per week.

To my mind it is the typical situation that I am sure you know well. All the developers get the latest, hottest hardware and then get lazy on anything related to efficiency because they never see it. I ran so much faster in Snow Leopard!

You know what I mean?

Regards
    Jul 24, 2015. 06:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Andreas

While I am happy to agree to disagree - "otherwise" to what? A whole lot of discussion above you so not sure to what you refer.

Regards
    Jul 24, 2015. 06:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Andreas

I appreciate your comments here. I will counter with one person's experience.

I have used Macs from the original 64 kbyte machines, at the University, and Apple IIs before that.

After that I worked mostly in Unix but also with WinPC (Development, SQA, Tech. Pubs). I always had Macs at home to do my photography and writing, etc. The reason was that I struggled with computers at work - especially with Windows machines - I did not want to have to mess with them at home. I wanted to get my projects done, concentrate on what I was doing without interruptions.

While rebooting 1 - 6 times per day at work was the norm (on WinPCs), I would go weeks without shutting down at home on my Macs. Furthermore, I always found the Windows to be very frustrating and inefficient in the UI design. Windows users never notice this because they do not know the alternative, but when you have used Mac OS for a while, you begin to notice the constant little inefficiencies. (Not that I have no beefs with Macs - I DO in many specific areas.)

So I would suggest that your friends who have a Mac at home, they do NOT have them simply because they do not want to be reminded of a stodgy work place. No, they do so because they see value in it.

Please forgive my bluntness here but, being a student of psychology, I see this argument as being an excuse by those who do not want to admit that Macs may have their own intrinsic, rational value - at least in the minds of some people.

Now, Windows may be a whole lot more stable than it used to be. My experience is from many years ago. But to my personal view, there are indeed rational reasons for preferring a Mac. It is in the end, a personal choice.

Best regards - JMM
    Jul 21, 2015. 11:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tech Heavy Earnings Expected After The Closing Bell: Apple, Microsoft And Yahoo! Take The Stage [View article]
    Seth - Good wrap of the issues. Thanks.
    Jul 21, 2015. 10:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    PCS

"Google and Cisco are MSFT competitors that deploy Macs for political (not practical) reasons. They have the capability to do their own customer IT system (regardless of the costs)."

Sorry - but I do not believe this for a moment.

IMHO - Microsoft is switching to the cloud because it sees the death of Windows as a super-revenue driver. But they know they have the server market and Office franchises. Oh they will continue to get enormous revenue from Win OS, but a slowly ebbing one as they are forced to give it away free to consumers and drop prices overall.

So Mr Enterprise buys a WinPC and saves $150 over a similar Mac. Then he pays licensing fees, and two years later $200 for OS upgrade. There went that $150 savings.

Regards
    Jul 21, 2015. 02:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    engineerartist

thanks for the note.
    Jul 20, 2015. 07:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    PCS

There is some truth in what you say. But I believe some of it is in the minds of the IT personnel.

E.G. Google has gone wholesale to Macs, and Cisco also deploys thousands (tens of thousands?), as do many other firms.

As for security - I believe you are wrong there. The Windows security issue doubles the price of the WinPC.

#5 - Integration. Did you not see the reference to JAMF? IBM also has a complete integration management system.

Regards
    Jul 20, 2015. 07:47 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dennis

I agree with you.

BBob - you are right for now. But I really believe in the "slowly but inexorably" line.

JMM
    Jul 20, 2015. 07:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dennis

Very good points
    Jul 20, 2015. 07:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DC

Thanks for the data point.

One also sees a lot more MacBooks out in the wild - e.g. coffee houses. They used to be rare - now are dominant here in Portland, OR.
    Jul 20, 2015. 03:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @BBob

Good points. I appreciate your input. It's helpful to hear the voices of people working in the field.

Regards
    Jul 20, 2015. 02:59 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BBob-

I think there are many ways of handling the upcoming W10 release. I am sure there are many doing as you say. On the other hand, there may be others saying, "Well - if I gotta buy new HW now, maybe it is a time to try some Macs."

Who knows where the balance lies. :)

Best to you - JMM