J. M. Manness

View J. M. Manness' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Understanding Apple: The Important Details For iPad Event [View article]
    While the acceptance of APay will drive some business, in the short term most people will still have their cards and be happy to use them.

What will have merchants move is when they see how much time it saves at checkout. That extra 20 seconds adds up to many hours per week per employee. Also, the added security against fraud.
    Oct 14 10:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Understanding Apple: The Important Details For iPad Event [View article]
    Pimust

You are correct re Visa Token Service. And that it IS available to any other e-wallet system (i.e. smartphone OS)

Again - I have covered that in great detail - link above, also this one on Why Tokens matter:
    Oct 14 10:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Understanding Apple: The Important Details For iPad Event [View article]
    gen -

Did you see my post here:

Goes into depth on Apple Pay

Regards
    Oct 14 10:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Understanding Apple: The Important Details For iPad Event [View article]
    dk

Thanks for the tip!

JMM
    Oct 14 10:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Best Interests Re: GT Advanced Technologies [View article]
    GR -
    "but being able to produce them at the scale Apple desires is new."

Additionally, there have been stories that they are trying out some new processes in the production. This is just like Apple - buy in to cutting edge technology. Try as you may to make it work, sooner or later there is bound to be a plan that does not make the schedule.
    Oct 12 11:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Will Foil Intel's Mobile Ambitions [View article]
    I believe AutoCad is now on Mac
    Oct 12 08:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Will Foil Intel's Mobile Ambitions [View article]
    NOR

I think you are right about Air and Pro convergence. It all has to do with the rise of the SSD. As it has become available in larger capacities at somewhat affordable prices it has moved the change you note.

The SSD drives the reduction in weight in two ways:
    1 - the SSD is much lighter (and thinner) than the old HD, and
    2- requires much less juice so a smaller battery will last longer.

This is unfortunate for me. As a photographer, I need 1 TB and I do not care so much about the weight, but this is expensive in SSD.

I also want the discrete graphics card, but this is now available only in the highest end machine. I would like to see 15 inch model with just the 2.2GHz i7, the Nvidia card, plus a 1TB fusion drive. They could probably do that for about $2099 or $2199. Better than the base price of the Nvidia model which requires the 2.5GHz i7 - an extra $100.

And if the battery life went down it would not bother me as I am normally able to plug in.
    Oct 12 08:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The GT Advanced Technologies Debacle: Where Does Apple Go From Here? [View article]
    Maybe the others were not asked?

Maybe they did not have the technology so were never asked. Apple went for the company with the best tech, unfortunately it was not yet ready. As RM has noted above, it is just as likely that GT was misleading Apple.
    Oct 11 01:46 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Please explain in what way Apple is trying to swindle GTAT?

GT signed on to an agreement knowing full well all the terms and conditions. How is that a swindle?
    Oct 11 01:39 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Will Foil Intel's Mobile Ambitions [View article]
    On the iPad and A8

I think there is 60% chance that Apple will pull an A8x processor out of the hat providing more GPU cores. Anand Tech had tests to show a slight slow down of certain graphics test in the 6+ vs. the 6 - most likely due to the extra pixels in the larger phone. This would only be exacerbated in an iPad Air with the much larger screen.

I think Apple is really pushing the graphics performance and would not want to see a slowdown. Of course, they may just rely on Metal to give them the edge here. ( http://bit.ly/1v8PyaI )

Still - to Apple it would not be a significant cost to do a second processor with more GPU cores. We will soon see.
    Oct 9 08:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Will Foil Intel's Mobile Ambitions [View article]
    On another note, It would seem to me that they may go back to the X series processors for the iPad - i.e. A8x - with more GPU cores. This given that Anand Tech reports somewhat slower performance in graphics for the iPhone 6+ compared to the 6. It seems to be due to the need to push so many more pixel on the larger screen. Obviously, the iPad Air has a lot more pixels yet, and it is clear Apple is pushing for superlative graphics performance.

On the other hand, they may just rely on Metal to boost the performance.
    ( http://bit.ly/1v8PyaI )

I put a 66% confidence level on the guess they will go to an A8x. I am not sure that there would be significant extra cost to do so. (Significant to Apple, that is.)
    Oct 9 07:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Will Foil Intel's Mobile Ambitions [View article]
    Mark

Another excellent article.

A couple of minor points here.

1- TSMC's finfet process is said to be further advanced than that of Samsung. See:
    http://ubm.io/1nbOX5D from 6 Oct.

It seems likely that TSMC will get the bulk of A9 work.

2- In my article (thank you for the reference) I did not mean to suggest that A-series chips would power all Macs - only lower end ones.
    Oct 9 07:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Pay: A Semi-Monopoly On The Real Killer App [View article]
    V,MC etc have said that merchants that do not upgrade their registers to use the new EMV system by Oct (???) 2015 will thereafter be responsible for fraudulent charges.

This however does not mean they need to have NFC capability. That, presumably would cost extra - tho I presume not all that much since the main expense will be each main register and software system.
    Oct 3 02:04 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Pay: A Semi-Monopoly On The Real Killer App [View article]
    Greg

I checked out the Wocket. I am both impressed and unimpressed.

Impressed that the company seems to have some good technology - particularly the voice based biometric. (I am assuming it works.)

Un impressed:
    1- NO real info on how it works. Some on how you add cards but ZIP on how to use the device.

2- Also, ZIP on the technology that is used to make a POS purchase. I assume it uses tokenization and NFS, but the site has no info on that.

3- They SAY it is secure - but no details here.

4-It is large! it is as wide as an iPhone and actually thicker - It is a full cm (0.39", 10 mm) high! iPhone 5s= 7.6mm; iPhone 6= 6.9.

I imagine this product might get a small cadre of niche users, but never a significant market share. (Of course a small share of 200 million smartphones would be profitable.) But even this is questionable given its size. If it were just 3 mm thick it might have a chance.

Most people who are potential customers have a smartphone. Why carry another bulky item?

snow they do seem to have some cool products in their other lines of security products. But personally I am not interested in investing in the prison economy.
    Oct 3 11:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Pay: A Semi-Monopoly On The Real Killer App [View article]
    With the Touch ID people are encouraged to use the advanced passwords. And why not? You seldom need to use it. This provides greater security.

True - any system depends on the security of your password. If I have the password to your online bank acct then I can make payments to myself. There is always this risk.

As for "cracking" a password - that is more difficult. Most thieves get them by social engineering or malware on your device.
    Oct 2 01:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment