J. M. Manness

View J. M. Manness' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Apple And Icahn: Pillars Of Growth [View article]
    CJ
    " I have no idea what, if anything, AAPL might do in the car market, but the company has my trust and my faith based on its remarkable record."

After all, nobody had any idea what Apple was going to whip up for an iPhone either. Despite all the rumors - it was a big surprise.

regards
    May 28, 2015. 08:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple And Icahn: Pillars Of Growth [View article]
    404

I agree completely - but Icahn relies on the physical television set - so this is to what I am referring.

Yes - I do agree with you that streaming is where it is at and Apple has figured that out. Also that this is a lot of future revenue that will make up for dumping the big screen.
    May 28, 2015. 07:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple And Icahn: Pillars Of Growth [View article]
    "If so, deploying that capital is going to create a better return than Mr. Blodget's notes."

Good point!
    May 28, 2015. 07:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple And Icahn: Pillars Of Growth [View article]
    BF

I think you discount Apple's ability to assemble a package of disruptive technology that would create a whole new product category - or at least revolutionize an existing one. If, for example, they could create an electric car with 400 mile range at a lower cost, then they might be able to create a real game changer.

I DO share your skepticism, however. Such a game changer is NOT a foregone conclusion, and thus very speculative. (IMO)

Thanks for your comment.

JMM
    May 28, 2015. 07:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Sharp's Problems Present An Opportunity, Not A Threat [View article]
    Mark - thanks for the interesting article.

My guess would be the joint venture route. I am not sure Apple would want to invest in the whole company. Here they would "sell" Sharp's computer display business (or a portion thereof) to the the joint venture. This would then give Apple proprietary display technology and production, but they would not have to run it.

Just one possibility.

Regards
    May 16, 2015. 11:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Earnings Call: Under The Radar Gems [View article]
    "Apple Pay is the main feature for the watch"

dezee

You continually make unsupported categorical statements such as this. It is absurd.

Apple Watch has a wide range of features. Each individual will buy the watch for those that mean the most to him/her. I have never seen any research that stated that Apple Pay was the driving factor for the majority of purchasers and even if it were this would NOT mean that other factors were not important as well.

I would like also like to see what you mean by "won't gain adoption." Would you please give your expected sales figures?

Regards JMM
    May 14, 2015. 02:51 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Brain = Abstraction Machine: A Fascinating Anecdote [View instapost]
    Thank you Alpine.

BTW - comments and Likes on the blog page itself are very helpful - if you are so inclined.

Regards - and best to you as well.
    May 6, 2015. 10:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Earnings Call: Under The Radar Gems [View article]
    EJ
    I can relate to that!

Best to you!
    May 4, 2015. 09:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Earnings Call: Under The Radar Gems [View article]
    reeshau

All are statements of the present. "We ARE working on... " is present tense - expresses a current state. Ditto for #2 and #3.1.

Future part of statement #3 "and will launch it at the Developer's Conference next month" is uncertain to some degree. Any certainty that exists is pretty much proportional to the proximity in date.

I did err for statements such as "Sunrise will be at 6:34 tomorrow morning." "You will die some day." "If you do not pay your taxes you are likely to get into trouble with the IRS."

Note the final one still accepts some uncertainty. It is possible they will overlook you (though not very likely :P )

Regards
    May 3, 2015. 04:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Earnings Call: Under The Radar Gems [View article]
    "Correct me if I am wrong but They will never have to pay dividends on retired shares...."

Not an expert here but I would think not. Even if they did - the Company would just be paying dividends to itself. So there would be no difference. When they buy back - the number of shares outstanding is decreased. Therefore...
    May 3, 2015. 02:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Earnings Call: Under The Radar Gems [View article]
    AH-HA!
    May 2, 2015. 08:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Earnings Call: Under The Radar Gems [View article]
    reeshau

You make a good point, but remember - if these are opinions (I assume you mean my quotes in the article) then they are by the people who know the most about Apple's future plans.

I am not sure anyone can make a statement of fact about the future.
    May 2, 2015. 04:42 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Watch: Revenue Projections [View article]
    "I alluded to the fact that the pulse sensor measurement might not be measuring what was intended"

All reports I have seen have been that it is very accurate when compared with chest monitors.

+ most phones do not run a full 24 hours without recharging

bugs? of course there will be some bugs. mostly minor an mostly fixed quickly.

It seems to me arnold that you are grasping at straws here.
    May 2, 2015. 03:43 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Earnings Call: Under The Radar Gems [View article]
    DM

Why can they not buy back shares in Europe with euros?
    May 2, 2015. 01:43 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Earnings Call: Under The Radar Gems [View article]
    ispank

It would depend on the strike price of the option.

Suppose you felt confident that Apple would have a big quarter announcement, and on April 20 (open $125 close $127) you bought Calls with a strike price of $130, then you would have been doing well, until the last few days when the price fell and those calls expired on Friday, worthless with AAPL at $129.

If you had bought $125 Calls, you would still be in the money for $4, but not what you had hoped for. (Apple opened on Tuesday at $134.46)
    May 2, 2015. 11:11 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment