J.P. Hannan

View J.P. Hannan's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Problem of Media Economics: Value Equations Have Radically Changed [View article]
    Two great examples of how media has changed. It all comes down to relevance and actionability.

Younger people no longer think to look at newspaper classified ads for their primary source of help wanted, apartments, and for sale by owner simply because print classifieds are not actionable in a point and click world. Hence, the audience there has atrophied to a much older demographic, and subsequently, the content is no longer relevant to that younger demographic. It doesn't mean there isn't a business model there to cater to classified needs of older readers, but the one size fits all wide audience model is gone.

The Netflix story just shows how media has gone from being a sit down meal to Vegas buffet. We pick and choose as we desire, again seeking relevance but we also want it all within reach when we choose to load the plate- we want it actionable. This is a tough order to fill, but media companies now have to be ready, fully stocked and open 24/7, 365 days to keep them coming back.
    Jan 7 05:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • TV Networks Weathering the Storm [View article]
    Robert, thanks for taking time to comment.

With respect to the future of the tv business... while I think your thoughts about local news and affiliates are completely valid, I'd point out that nowhere in my article or the NY Times piece does it discuss the business of local tv. This is where the medium is in transition- no longer can the whole industry be painted with one broad brush.

The economics of network tv are very different than local tv, and getting further and further apart every day (please see my article TV Networks Reach Fork in Digital Road seekingalpha.com/artic...). The same can be said about network vs local radio.

In my opinion, it all comes down to content. Those mediums that control their own content, like the tv networks, will succeed in the digital realm. Those who don't, like some local stations, simply won't.

Newspapers should also be included in this- properties that still break news like the WSJ and NY Times will find their home in the digital world, but those who simply repackage AP stories are destined to fold.

Happy New Year.
    Dec 31 06:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Latest Changes to SeekingAlpha.com [View article]
    FYI... the LA Times also has a blog called The Big Picture-

latimesblogs.latimes.c.../
    Sep 11 04:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NBC Beijing '08 Online Metrics: High Viewership, Little Revenue [View article]
    Interesting insight there Vball... had not heard that angle before.
    Aug 26 07:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Am I Crazy to Own Gannett? [View article]
    Gannett is a great company, but great companies don't always make great stocks. Traditional media companies like this aren't growth engines, but they still turn out nice profits- almost like old school utilities. Most of these companies will leave the public arena once the credit markets thaw and you see the P/E guys scoop them up.
    Aug 22 03:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jim Cramer's Unnecessary Beating Over Sirius [View article]
    To me it looks like classic buy on the rumor, sell on the news. The merger is done, now its see if Mel can execute. At the end of the day, listen to everyone, but trust only in yourself when investing.
    Aug 22 03:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CBS/AOL Partnership: Great News for Internet Radio [View article]
    Mark, thanks for your note. I still think this is a profound event for internet radio, particularly when you factor in the widgets that enable such ease of use of this player on mobile applications. You are right, most of these CBS channels are already available on the station websites (as I also touched on), but having one platform for all of these stations as well as many more certainly makes it easier for the end user, particularly if your not familiar with the call letters or formats of the terrestrial stations.

What I find most interesting in this deal is the willingness of CBS to work with AOL as opposed to purely going alone. These are not generally traits you see in a radio industry that has a tendency to be isolationist from outside industries- especially the tech world.

Your point about homogenization of media is well taken, though that is a much bigger issue to be discussed.
    Jun 20 03:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Blogonomics: The Seeking Alpha Model [View article]
    Well said Kunst.
    Jun 12 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CBS/AOL Partnership: Great News for Internet Radio [View article]
    As a follow-up to this article, just wanted to let readers know the new service launched this week. I recommend everyone check it out at aol.com
    Jun 12 11:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Blogonomics: The Seeking Alpha Model [View article]
    David, thanks for your article and Seeking Alpha. I discovered Barry's blogs through SA, and have become a big fan of his since. He is an established brand now and perhaps simply outgrown SA, but I can say from my experience I probably never would have heard of him without SA.

For myself though, I have been contemplating blogging about the media industry for several years but did not have time to build and market my own site. Additionally, the exposure on Yahoo and other sites and the immediate feedback I get are invaluable. I completely agree with your analysis of what SA offers a new writer. Just as the proverbial tree falls in the forest, what good is a blog if there is no one to read it?

SA is a fantastic site and your staff is incredibly helpful. Congrats on your success.
    Apr 10 07:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution of Terrestrial Radio [View article]
    NTGH, thanks for the compliment. After 15 years in broadcasting- working "in the trenches" as a partner in 7 station turnarounds, working for the 15th largest radio company, and sitting on two broadcasting boards, I feel pretty comfortable with my credentials in the space.

I enjoy spirited discussions on the subject and have a thick skin. Hearing from the critics forces me to sharpen my positions, and frankly makes me better at what I do.

No one has the answer, but everyone has good ideas.
    Mar 28 09:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Clear Channel Tender Delayed Again [View article]
    Today's latest-

www.marketwatch.com/ne...
    Mar 27 08:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Clear Channel Tender Delayed Again [View article]
    And the saga continues....

www.radioink.com/Headl...
    Mar 26 06:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Evolution of Terrestrial Radio [View article]
    Excellent points guys, but i am in no way advocating syndicated fare as the future. I said for companies not able to develop and own their own local content, syndication would be crucial in the future because they will never be able to compete purely on music choice.

As for CCU, I always find it interesting that the industry gets painted with that one very wide brush. There are a lot of good radio companies out there doing a complete 180 from the CCU model. CCU just happens to get all the attention.
    Mar 26 12:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Clear Channel Deal Collapse Tied to Radio Merger? [View article]
    Interesting speculation. Could be a factor into their desire to get heavier in the space.

Bain and TH Lee already own 25% each of Cumulus Media Partners, so they have a pretty sizable interest in the sector already.

You are definitely right, the radio industry is now a mixture of terrestrial, satellite, and internet... each with its own strengths, all vying for market share.
    Mar 26 08:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment