Jack Holland

View Jack Holland's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Setting Up The Big Gold Short [View article]
    You want all that boring stuff, read my previous articles on gold....its all there....
    Feb 29, 2012. 05:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Setting Up The Big Gold Short [View article]
    I don't control the article que mate....
    Feb 29, 2012. 05:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Setting Up The Big Gold Short [View article]
    Now you can call me myopic, and you can call me stupid, but you' crossed the line when you call me a socialist....I did not say I agreed with Europeand or U.S. Central Bankers' monetary policy....but I damn sure don't mind making money off of them becasue they are so dad-gummed predictable.....send me your email address boatman and I'll send you something you might just enjoy reading. By the way....what makes you think they cannot just keep printing money....say for the next 100 years or so.....
    Feb 29, 2012. 05:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Setting Up The Big Gold Short [View article]
    Just how many of you boys made an 8% return today? Now we can windbag it all day long. I prefer money in the bank.
    Feb 29, 2012. 04:37 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Setting Up The Big Gold Short [View article]
    Good luck fellas, I'm going fishing!
    Feb 29, 2012. 04:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dell Is Just Getting Warmed Up [View article]
    Hi J.A., I have nothing against Apple. Happy you have made money in it. From current levels, a new investor in Apple would have to see shares climb from 520 to 624 per share to garner a 20% return. Dell only has to rise from 17.50 to 21 to acheive the same result. I suspect both will gain 20% this year and Apple maybe even higher.
    Feb 24, 2012. 11:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dell Is Just Getting Warmed Up [View article]
    Good point Gary. If we would only set up a few chip fab plants next to a few good sized high-schools in the good ole U.S. of A with apprenticeship programs paid for by the likes of Apple and Intel, etc., perhaps we could take up the slack in the apparent labor-skills mismatch. I think each major corporation in the U.S. should adopt a highschool in this manner with the specific goal to hire the grads.

I taught in Texas for about a dozen years or so and watched with great frustration and disgust as teachers danced to ridiculous state and federal mandates that consumed 30% of their day and contributed nothing towards producing functioning young citizens capable of that dirty four letter word called work....
    Feb 23, 2012. 02:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dell Is Just Getting Warmed Up [View article]
    To tjericho - I added a correcting paragraph to make clear the comparison. Thanks
    Feb 23, 2012. 08:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dell Is Just Getting Warmed Up [View article]
    Michael Dell has always been conservative in his comments. He will be speaking on CNBC on Monday the 27th. You are correct. This can hurt a corporation, but as a value investor, I prefer this rather than learn later that over-optimism was just that.
    Feb 22, 2012. 06:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dell Is Just Getting Warmed Up [View article]
    Could you please provide me a source on your statement? Thanks
    Feb 22, 2012. 06:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dell Is Just Getting Warmed Up [View article]
    A quote from an August 11, 2011 article by Bill Synder of Infoworld:

"A study by researchers at UC Irvine (PDF) found that the iPod was responsible for creating nearly 14,000 jobs in the United States and another 27,000 abroad. "

The ratio for Apple projects appears to be around 2 foreign employees for every U.S. based job.
    Feb 22, 2012. 04:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dell Is Just Getting Warmed Up [View article]
    Thanks for the comment, I pointed to FY11 as a comparison to FY12 which are already out there in other articles. I should have made this more clear. I felt this necessary in order to remind investors what results looked like prior to this past years' special earnings suppressing events such as the Thailand flooding that affected their supply pipeline.
    Feb 22, 2012. 04:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dell: Old School Tech May Offer A Surprise Or Two For PC Death Watchers [View article]
    Earnings in line with estimates. Unfortunately, no upside surprise, but I'm staying long based on the fundamentals. I'd say they are doing well considering environment. Week hands will fold and run. I don't trade that way. I look for buyers to step in on this one.
    Feb 21, 2012. 07:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play Alcatel-Lucent's Earnings [View article]
    Nice blog piece, thanks.
    Feb 8, 2012. 07:59 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alcatel-Lucent Panic Selling Offers Opportunity For Rational Investors [View article]
    You are absolutely correct. That's means I took a profit last week and now looking for a new entry. The 12% gain made sense to me.
    Feb 7, 2012. 05:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment