Jack Holland

View Jack Holland's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Waiting For Barnes & Noble's Turnaround? Buy Amazon For Now [View article]
    How about a truce and a merger named Nobel Amazon!
    Feb 3 05:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Waiting For Barnes & Noble's Turnaround? Buy Amazon For Now [View article]
    I do not think the demise of Barnes & Noble has anything to with my personal experience with self-publishing. Their demise is due to a lack of vision and being late to the online game. I fully understand their strategy. The problem for investors (which is the focus of this article) is trying to unload legacy real estate in the worst recession this country has seen since the great depression. Barnes & Noble may survive, but not in its current format.

Of course Amazon is the WalMart of the internet. I don't know too many people willing to pay extra for the privilege of paying extra unless they have money to burn. Do you buy a car a full sticker so the salesman can preserve his unique way of life? Or do you pre-shop the internet for best pricing info available prior to purchase? The "art" of a car salesman is now something rapidly dissappearing. Should we not support it?

Like I stated in the article, I love books, and bookstores. I am neither defending the honor of Amazon, nor am I stating book stores should not exist. Once again, this is a realistic investment article written to make folks think through the reality of what putting money into BKS would bring them in the way of a future return. Currently, I do not believe it is worth the investment. Most Investors are looking to make money. BKS may eventually turn around. But it will be difficult in this environment. One way they could prevent a total loss to shareholders would be to spin out their online ventures into a new company. This way when the stores have to shuttered, it will not be as painful. Only time will tell.

By the way, my monthly royalty checks are for books sold, not unsaleble work as you state. The consumer is making a choice and in my case I have never put a dime into marketing other than a personal website. And yes, it is quite gratifying when a buyer purchases a book. Great for the ego and the bank account.
    Feb 2 03:44 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alcatel-Lucent Panic Selling Offers Opportunity For Rational Investors [View article]
    If the market as a whole goes into panic mode, yes, Lucent could take a nose dive. That is why this is a pure speculative play that should only be gamed with money one is willing to stick in a Vegas slot machine.

Interestingly, there has been some movement from analysts lately:

Jan 25 10:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sanchez Energy: When An IPO Isn't [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. I hope you are right. I know this family have treated their IBOC shareholders well, so if they do the same here, it could prove a good investment.
    Jan 9 10:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sanchez Energy: When An IPO Isn't [View article]
    Something I might point out that intriques me about this company is the fact that Fernando Canales Clariond who sits on the advisory board is an ex-Energy Secretary of Mexico from the Vicente Fox administration. Could it be SN has an inroad into future drilling in Mexico? Mexico is thought to be the next big thing in natural gas. Sanchez Oil & Gas directionaly drilled from Falcon National Park which borders Mexico and extracted billions of dollars in gas from a pad of 13 wells back in the 1990s. http://bit.ly/xALmg1
    Jan 7 03:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sanchez Energy: When An IPO Isn't [View article]
    Good point made on the 40 day prohibition. We will look for an analyst reccommendation in late January or February then.

However, there is much more risk than your assumption on the Eagle Ford acreage, and it certainly has everything to do with the structure of this company. Sanchez Energy is simply a shell. Sanchez Oil and Gas will provide the expertise and drilling service via subcontractors.

There is a 32 million share float. Sanchez's control 62.5%. 4,050,000 shares were registered as shares for a company incentive plan: http://1.usa.gov/wIkWr8

When insiders control 62.5% of a company, the word "public" is lost in the translation....in this case "one" shareholder - http://bit.ly/zfNhYa

As was stated in the article. I have no doubt of the company's ability to find natural gas. They have already proven this. I question the transparency of structure and how cash will flow between partners, etc., This type of set up makes it much easier to conduct "sophisticated" accounting manuevers. The bottom line is, what kind of reward will public stockholders receive for their investment. Until that is clear, I will remain on the sidelines.

From Schedule 13 D: Item 5. Interest in Securities of the Issuer.

(a)-(b) SEP I is the sole record owner of 21,340,909 shares of Common Stock, or 66.2% of a total of 32,250,000 shares of Common Stock issued and outstanding as of the closing of the Offering. SEP Management, SOG, Antonio R. Sanchez, III and A.R. Sanchez, Jr. do not directly own any shares of Common Stock. SEP I is controlled by its general partner, SEP Management, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of SOG. SOG is managed by A.R. Sanchez, Jr. and Antonio R. Sanchez, III, and thus may be deemed to share voting and dispositive power over the shares of Common Stock held by SEP I.

Sanchez Energy Partners I, LP
    The general partner of Sanchez Energy Partners I, LP is SEP Management I, LLC. There are no executive officers and directors appointed at Sanchez Energy Partners I, LP. Sanchez Energy Partners I, LP has an advisory board consisting of the following members:

Name Principal Occupation or Employment

• John Eddie Williams, Jr. Attorney, Partner at Williams Kherkher Hart Boundas, LLP

• Luis Farias Executive at Gulf Port Portland Cement Co.

• Owen Littman Attorney, General Counsel of the Cowen Group, Inc.

• Mikal C. Watts Attorney, Partner at Watts Guerra Craft, LLP

• Fernando Canales Clariond President, Finestra USA Corp.

• Othon Ruiz CEO, Grupo Valores Monterrey

• Federico Chavez Director, Promecap, S.A.

Messrs. Williams, Littman and Watts are each a citizen of the United States of America. Messrs. Farias, Clariond, Ruiz and Chavez are each a citizen of Mexico. The business address of such individuals is 1111 Bagby Street, Suite 1600, Houston, Texas 77002. Such individuals expressly disclaim any beneficial ownership of the shares of Common Stock.

Question: How much will these board members be paid?
    Jan 7 02:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Homebuilder Stocks Should Be Avoided For Now [View article]
    I understand this point of view. However, I do not believe earnings from the home builders will support the stock prices this year.
    Jan 5 11:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Homebuilder Stocks Should Be Avoided For Now [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. I am offering a regional view of the housing market in an area of the country where home prices did not shoot up during the bubble as did other parts of the country, and yet our home values are decreasing along with the rest of the nation.

I think you missed the point to the article. From your photo, I assume you are a young man that did not go through the real estate bubble of the early 1980s. Statistics from the Fed are based on surveys that do not always portray an accurate or complete picture. If Fed statistics were accurate, we would have not had a housing bubble in the first place.

Anecdotal evidence is often useful to those willing take a broader view of things.
    Jan 5 11:03 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Speculating On The IMF Money Game [View article]
    Thanks for the comments. Whether one is a fan of the Fed or not, one thing I have learned and come to respect is that I am happy the banking manipulators work for the United States. I believe the dollar will remain king for some time. I suspect that currently there may be a coordinated effort underway between our Fed and the ECB in order to suppress the price of the Euro to help Europe out of their impending recession. This will of course eventually rotate back to a lower dollar and a higher Euro. It will be interesting to see what Bernanke does as Europe continues to implode. We will eventually get QE3, but it will be to save Europe, not the United States.
    Dec 14 04:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Profiting From Goldman Sachs's A-List [View article]
    Excellent point!
    Dec 13 01:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Profiting From Goldman Sachs's A-List [View article]
    OK 4 out of 5....
    Dec 11 10:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Can Prevent Priceline.com From Soaring To New Heights? [View article]
    Thanks for the comments....great insight!
    Dec 11 09:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Profiting From Goldman Sachs's A-List [View article]
    Yes, That works out to 2.7 Billion.
    Dec 11 11:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Can Prevent Priceline.com From Soaring To New Heights? [View article]
    I stand corrected. You are absolutely correct. It was Gross Profits as you state. Operating expenses were up 51%, not 83%. My apologies. I am attempting to contact editor so I may correct.
    Dec 8 10:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Questions GLD Investors Need To Ask [View article]
    Thanks for the comments !
    Dec 7 02:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment