Jacob Steinberg

View Jacob Steinberg's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 4 Reasons I Am Skeptical Of Elon Musk's Calculation [View article]
    "Let's just call it even then and not over exaggerate Tesla fires ok?"

I didn't exaggerate Tesla fires, I am simply saying that we don't yet have enough data to tell whether Teslas are more or less likely to catch fire.
    Nov 14 01:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons I Am Skeptical Of Elon Musk's Calculation [View article]
    "Yes. Millionaires and billionaires drive on the same roads we do.
    Only the road to their driveway may be better than ours."

Not really. Go check the roads in the neighborhoods of Orange County or Beverly Hills and compare it against the roads in Detroit or Oakland. You are far more likely to see potholes, debris and bumps in Detroit than Orange County. Areas with higher tax revenue will have much nicer roads. I don't even know why this is even up for discussion.
    Nov 14 01:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons I Am Skeptical Of Elon Musk's Calculation [View article]
    I was referring to any part of a car that can be hit by debris and get punctured (and result in a fire). This could include the gas tank or any of the protective shields too.
    Nov 14 11:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons I Am Skeptical Of Elon Musk's Calculation [View article]
    "I am sorry but I will have to disagree on the road part. Here in Colorado we have more Tesla than Mercedes cars and the roads are far from the best especially in the spring, fall and winter time with all that snow."

I wasn't talking about the overall state of the roads though. I was talking about the fact that Tesla owners live in wealthier neighborhoods and these neighborhoods will have much nicer roads than poorer neighborhoods.
    Nov 14 11:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons I Am Skeptical Of Elon Musk's Calculation [View article]
    "BTW your assumptions that Tesla drivers are actually more towards the younger crowd. It is a high tech high performance vehicle. Older folks don't like that. New car buyers are generally middle age or older because they're the ones who can afford it. That is for all cars except the cheap vehicles targeted at the young crowds like a Mazdaspeed 3."

You say that my article is mostly opinion, then how is this not an opinion? You assume that younger crowd appreciate high tech more than older crowd. This is just a stereotype. Besides, appreciating something is one thing, being able to afford it is another thing. More than two thirds of all Tesla owners are older than 44 years old.

Nov 14 11:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons I Am Skeptical Of Elon Musk's Calculation [View article]
    That's for sure, we simply don't have enough data to see whether Tesla is more or less likely to catch a fire than an ICE vehicle.
    Nov 14 11:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons I Am Skeptical Of Elon Musk's Calculation [View article]
    Over time, the media will stop mentioning Tesla fires also. Currently they talk about Tesla a lot because it's hyped up big time.
    Nov 14 11:14 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons I Am Skeptical Of Elon Musk's Calculation [View article]
    First, every state will have good and bad roads, but do you expect a Model S owner who is very likely to be a millionaire (if not billionaire) to drive on bad roads everyday? Last time I checked, wealthier neighborhoods had A LOT better roads than poorer neighborhoods. I don't know how anyone can actually deny that.

Second, I already talked about how no one died or got seriously injured in these cars and I already gave Tesla credit for that. You make it sound like I made no mention of that.
    Nov 14 11:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons I Am Skeptical Of Elon Musk's Calculation [View article]
    "Sorry you are dead wrong on this one. They are in fact younger. Probably also drive it like a sports car since it is so fast."

The link you gave me says that nearly one third of Tesla owners are younger than age 44, which means more than two thirds of Tesla owners are older than 44. The average car owner in the country is much younger than that. How am I dead wrong?
    Nov 14 10:58 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The New American Airlines Is On [View article]
    When you are emerging from a bankruptcy with Q shares, your earnings and financials don't really mean anything. Check what happened to GM after it emerged from bankruptcy in 2009; its shareholders didn't even get a penny. The shares of American Airlines would be worth $0 without the merger because if it decided to emerge from bankruptcy as a standalone company, all of its assets would barely cover the debt and there would be nothing left for the shareholders to grab. It's called bankruptcy and it's a special circumstance.
    Nov 13 07:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is Ford Stock In A Range Now? [View article]
    "TDOT, actually 18% earnings growth over 4-5 years deserves a 27 P/E, but given they are a cyclical that should probably go down to 18. So if they can generate 18% earnings growth Y-Y for 4 years, Ford should trade at twice its current price between now and then."

He was talking about beating earnings estimates by 18%, not 18% earnings growth though. Between 2013 and 2014, Ford is expected to have comparable earnings.
    Nov 12 11:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is Ford Stock In A Range Now? [View article]
    "I am leaning to Ford, probably a Fusion. But, if I have to take the Microsoft Sync system along with my purchase, I will look at something else."

It looks like a lot of people feel the same way. I wish they would offer an alternative to Sync for those that might not want to deal with Sync.

Every car I've ever owned was a Ford, I never drove anything else. Even all my rentals were Ford, but if there is something that can cause me to consider buying another car in the future, it will be the Sync.
    Nov 12 10:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Motors Investors Are Ignoring The Facts [View article]
    leopardtrader don't underestimate the power of institutions. Do you think it was retail investors that pushed Tesla's price from $25 to $190? Not even close, retail investors make a tiny, tiny percentage of total volume. Retail investors hardly make a difference in determining value of a company.

The market is still dominated by institutional investors and they are the ones that actually move stocks. Besides, even if institutional ownership might not always constitute a buy-sell signal, a ridiculous valuation (like Tesla's valuation) clearly does.
    Nov 11 01:51 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yelp: Popular, But Reaching An Upper Limit [View article]
    I agree, Yelp's business model is very fishy. Some may even call it "pure scam" and I wouldn't argue with them.
    Nov 11 12:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Yelp: Popular, But Reaching An Upper Limit [View article]
    Yelp is a bubble but I don't see it bursting anytime soon as long as the Fed provides the market with plenty of free money to gamble with. Once the QE ends, Yelp can go as low as $25-30 where it would be still somewhat expensive compared to its fundamentals.
    Nov 11 12:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment