Jacob Wolinsky

View Jacob Wolinsky's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Lessons Learned From CalPERS' 'Savings' and Liabilities [View article]
    I would love to ask questions but live in NY. Is there any way to call in questions?
    Mar 25, 2011. 02:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned From CalPERS' 'Savings' and Liabilities [View article]
    I just wrote an article on this topic! I calculated that most pension funds will earn less than 3% REAL returns over the next decade. caLPERS will have a $180 billion shortfall using this formula. Check it out-www.valuewalk.com/?p=6828
    Mar 24, 2011. 12:37 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Analyzing Garmin [View article]
    Note I have closed this position at ~31 per share. The company is declining extremely rapidly, this could be a huge value trap.
    Mar 3, 2011. 10:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Japanese Equity Markets a Buying Opportunity? [View article]
    EWJ the Japanese ETF has a P/B of 1.25 nearly half the US PB here are two links finance.yahoo.com/q/hl... and www.valuewalk.com/stoc.../
    Feb 22, 2011. 09:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Microsoft Go Out of Business? [View article]
    What is their intrinsic value in your opinion?
    Feb 15, 2011. 03:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Microsoft Go Out of Business? [View article]
    What do you estimate IV for Goog and Apple, which you are long?
    Feb 15, 2011. 12:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Japanese Equity Markets a Buying Opportunity? [View article]
    What about low valuations? I think that is the biggest thing going for Japanese equities.
    Feb 14, 2011. 04:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Monthly Market Valuation: Investors Are Too Bullish, Valuations Are Too High [View article]
    That might make a difference in the short run i.e. day traders but not in the long run. Value funds performed the best over the past decade despite online trading. See my article on the topic here-seekingalpha.com/artic...
    Feb 3, 2011. 04:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "Near term markets are based on psychology...however over every market cycle valuations will matter"

Could not agree with you more, you stole the words right out of my mouth.
    Feb 3, 2011. 11:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I have some discussion about my buys see this post-www.valuewalk.com/port.../

I had my sells ready to post ( FYI I was a net-seller) but my hard drive got wiped out.

Happy to help readers as long as I have the time!
    Feb 2, 2011. 03:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you i do buy ETFs from time to time, but I almost exclusively buy stocks. Of course maybe if I bought the ETFs for certain sectors I might have done better than buying the stocks. I have no way to calculate that.

If you want more info on my performance you can check out this link-www.valuewalk.com/port.../
    Feb 2, 2011. 02:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I never said I base my investment decisions on market valuations, that is stated clearly in the beginning. I was up ~13% in Q3 alone, up 25.85% for 2010.

My point is that the indices will likely have poor returns in the coming years.
    Feb 2, 2011. 01:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Here is a bad chart from 1970 this is all i have i wish I had more historic data: www.wikinvest.com/imag...
    Feb 2, 2011. 12:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    No read the beginning of my article
    Feb 2, 2011. 12:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Egypt is unlikely to evolve into an Iranian style theocracy, according to PIMCO's Mohamed El-Erian who says "the Philippines, rather than Iran" provides a better example of what the post-Mubarak world might look like.  [View news story]
    I beg to differ Mr. El-Erian.

"At least three-quarters of Muslims in Egypt and Pakistan say they would favor making each of the following the law in their countries: stoning people who commit adultery, whippings and cutting off of hands for crimes like theft and robbery and the death penalty for those who leave the Muslim religion. Majorities of Muslims in Jordan and Nigeria also favor these harsh punishments."

Pew Poll from December 2010. Here is the link pewglobal.org/2010/12/.../