James Altucher

View James Altucher's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 11 Reasons Why the Gold Bubble Will Burst [View article]
    Why? Many of Buffett's companies get their revenues abroad? They will benefit more from a weaker dollar than gold will.
    Oct 25, 2010. 12:04 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Reasons Why the Gold Bubble Will Burst [View article]
    @Robert, Its not really my choice or hope whether or not people listen to me. I'm not tryiing to promote anything, sell anything, market anything. I enjoy sharing my opinions and philosophies and I put my money where my mouth is.
    Oct 25, 2010. 11:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Reasons Why the Gold Bubble Will Burst [View article]
    @Saltman, thanks for your comment. Its true gold is an emotional topic. Heck, I've owned silver bars for about five years and have been bullish on silver. But Gold has gotten ahead of itself for the reasons I've described and I'm now more bullish on stocks.
    Oct 25, 2010. 10:10 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Reasons Why the Gold Bubble Will Burst [View article]
    who's "altucker"?
    Oct 25, 2010. 08:57 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Reasons Why the Gold Bubble Will Burst [View article]
    While I'm not long AAPL I do think that an investment in Apple makes long-term sense. Next year Apple will sell 50mm ipads (thats $30bb in revenues). Plus who knows how many 100s of mm of applications, songs, tv shows, etc. This is a cash generating machine and will be for perhaps the rest of our lifetimes. Gold - its very unclear from one day to the next what the future for gold holds for us.

Lets not forget Apple will also benefit from a weaker dollar as they sell more ipads, apps. etc overseas.
    Oct 25, 2010. 08:35 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Reasons Why the Gold Bubble Will Burst [View article]
    The best hedge against a weak dollar? ..... Stocks.
    Oct 25, 2010. 07:50 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Reasons Why the Gold Bubble Will Burst [View article]
    Here's an interesting op-ed in the Financial Times about this topic:

www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2bb...
    Oct 25, 2010. 07:50 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Reasons Why the Gold Bubble Will Burst [View article]
    Unfortunately I don't own any gold. Oh wait, I got married recently. But I think my wife would be unhappy if I sold my ring.
    Oct 25, 2010. 07:48 AM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Reasons Why the Gold Bubble Will Burst [View article]
    Its true that gold is a "one decision investment" whereas with stocks you have to pick and choose your stocks.

But as a hedge against inflation and a weak dollar, stocks are a much better choice. You can use SPY or perhaps the dividend achievers ETF. Or simply buy the stocks with the best innovations: AAPL, etc.
    Oct 25, 2010. 07:48 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Reasons Why the Gold Bubble Will Burst [View article]
    I agree the Fed wants the value of the dollar to go down, and I think that will do a good job in reinflating the economy. BUT, once the economy firms (even more than it has) its going to be hard keeping the dollar down and eventually and gold will begin to anticipate a move up in interest rates and start heading down to $1000.

At the very least there will be some reversion to the mean that will bring Gold down several hundred points or more.
    Oct 25, 2010. 07:47 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Reasons Why the Gold Bubble Will Burst [View article]
    "all his friends are on Wall Street"
    Hahahahahahaha. Where did you get this little factoid from.
    Oct 25, 2010. 07:45 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Money Do You Actually Need to Retire? [View article]
    Also, David, you're right. You have taken some cheap shots. I normally write on other sites but have started posting more frequently here. I hope that the level of conversation can stay at a fairly high level. I enjoy the back and forth with my readers and have usually learned a lot from the banter.
    Oct 22, 2010. 03:30 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Money Do You Actually Need to Retire? [View article]
    David, thanks for the comments. I think most of your points are really a matter of perspective. As I've written in other articles, I think college at current prices is a scam, as is (largely) home ownership. These are all lifestyle choices. I get that. But I'm not writing for the full range of people who are making these choices. I've made my arguments for those choices in other articles so chose not to rehash them here.

Also, as I've said repeatedly here, I'm taking a very generous view of the kind of numbers one might want to have. Thats all.

Finally, in terms of why I have followers. I've traded successfully for several hedge funds. I've run a successful fund of funds. I've built and sold several businesses over the past 20 years (Reset, 212 Ventures, Vaultus, Stockpickr, among them), and my picks on here and other locations are easily checkable and have done very well and have made people money. Thats why people follow me.

Your goals in life might not be the same as mine. But when I look through your articles it seems like we are talking about the same topic but in different ways. You are starting with how to generate the income. I'm starting with "what is the principal base to start with". You mostly leave open the question of "what is the number" because you assume, correctly, that there are many lifestyle choices.

I'm giving the perspective of a somewhat generous lifestyle and then give methods to make the number lower. I apologize if this technique was not right for you but I still don't see the issue with it.
    Oct 22, 2010. 03:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Money Do You Actually Need to Retire? [View article]
    I do say in the article i was being extra generous. I know people who live on more and I know people who live on less. I then give a formula for moving the number up or down, and then i give ideas on generating income.

This is a topic I think a lot about. I'm not a Wall St guy (although until 3 months ago I actually lived on the corner of Wall and Broad. And if you read my books you'd see I wasn't (thats not a promote - don't read my books if you don't want).

I know this is a sensitive topic for many people. Personally, if you have $1mm in the bank, I think you have nothing to worry about, even if you don't generate income off of it. But you won't be able to retire in the way I describe either. But there's lots of ways to slice this issue and this is only one slice.

Not only do I think this is an interesting topic to have a tab for but it could be an interesting topic to have a seminar on, either live or via Skype, to really get active disussion going so we don't degenerate into linguistics discussions on my sentence structure.
    Oct 22, 2010. 02:19 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cramer Contradicts Himself About Sirius XM [View article]
    I do have to say, "Confessions of a Street Addict" is still one of my favorite books in the investment space.

Cramer was an investor in the 90s. Now he admits he is what he is: an entertainer. I wouldn't watch his show for the stock picks but I do find that in each show he is able to draw from his experience to teach some lesson or other.

Don't cast the first stone unless you are free from all sin.
    Oct 22, 2010. 01:04 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment