James Holden

View James Holden's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • The July 28th Back-To-School Campaign Is A Catalyst For Gains In Aeropostale [View article]
    At the time I wrote this article the catalyst for a rise was coming and the stock traded up as the school season arrived. Currently I would avoid ARO as time runs out with every dollar spent unless the company runs out of precious time without a turn around. The company has performed below my expectations.
    Dec 31, 2014. 06:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Some, but few, numbers started looking better last quarter with ARO and I am hoping for an upswing with the new product and marketing campaign to get the word out.
    If the numbers are average to poor I am concerned with tax loss selling on ARO and don't advise anyone to purchase who has a weak stomach. I am holding 1/4 of the shares I am willing to right now. I have seen many companies that most Seeking Alpha members would avoid drop to a buck or less and then travel back into the teens and some beyond. I watched Leap Frog (LF now at $7.30) and Carmax (KMX now at $49.97) both hit a dollar and go lower before rebounding substantially. Everyone is a hater when a stock hits new lows and there seems like no end in sight. I'd like to be holding my 5,000 shares of KMX or 10,000 shares of LF I bought for around a buck today. I have a feeling, and as an investor sometimes you have to go with your gut, that ARO will make a similar move.
    Jul 29, 2014. 01:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Another thing to consider in the risk to reward scenario is that Aeropostale EPS was $2.49 just three years ago in 2011. "If" the company hits the next trend right, which they are attempting to as stated in my article, good things could happen.
    Jul 24, 2014. 01:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Aeropostale worked down a few million in inventories last quarter. They expect to burn through around 70 million again in the restructuring and get at tax return in the 40 million range. I assume total company debt to be 10 to 20 million going into the back to school and holiday quarter which should be better. The company has been attacked on the short side and any sign of a turn around would bring substantial gains. Any additional drop in price would likely bring in a buyout bid from Sycamore at around this range or possibly higher putting a floor on the stock. You have to remember that ARO was trading around 7 and change at the time of the decision to finance rather than purchase the company. At 3 and change that decision would probably be different. Sycamore would never have a chance to get that today as shareholders would protest but after any additional fall that may not be the case, hence a floor.
    There is a lot of risk so ARO is not one to bet the house on but it is a intriguing equity to watch or take a small initial position on.
    Jul 24, 2014. 01:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Planar Systems Turned The Corner And Could Bring Huge Upside [View article]
    The monitor business is dying and yet a joke if you want to make it one. The real story here is that the company is back and making a profit for multiple quarters and if sustained the stock will rise. In the past PLNR traded in the teens and twenty on that achievement. Right now the projected PE for the year is in the teens and earnings are gaining momentum. I've been wrong a few times but also many of my picks are up many multiples. We will see how this pans out. There are always negative comments but if a few add PLNR to their watch list I have done my part. Buy on your own DD.
    May 29, 2014. 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Novatel Wireless Could Bring Attractive Gains In 2014 [View article]
    Now would be a better time to pick up shares since momentum has shifted. That is if you are willing to take on more risk for a greater chance of reward. The company is three quarters away from when they are projecting profitability. If they hit the target the stock should be substantially higher.
    Apr 2, 2014. 11:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Novatel Wireless Could Bring Attractive Gains In 2014 [View article]
    I'd wait until the share price stabilizes. The quarter and guidance was worse than I expected outside of M2M. Mobile computing is falling much faster than expected and is overshadowing any M2M success. I think holding NVTL will take some nerves but a white knight should come from somewhere as long as competitor M2M market caps stay at the high valuations they hold.
    Mar 8, 2014. 10:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • EDAP TMS: 2014 FDA Decision On Treatment For Prostate Cancer Could Bring Attractive Gains [View article]
    I don’t want to speculate about revenues but many individuals in early stages of prostate cancer are told to just wait to see how the disease progresses. A focal one device costs in the neighborhood of $900,000 dollars, so on FDA approval revenues could increase substantially. It all depends on marketing and the adoption rate.
    Ablatherm HIFU would be a good option, previously unavailable, allowing for physicians to get proactive treating localized cancer by burning out the affected area. HIFU treatment is for localized cancer and could be a good first defense. If the cancer has spread and is beyond the stage on which HIFU was decided all other options are still available.
    Prostate cancer can be such a devastating disease it is important that doctors in the United States also have the options for treatment available elsewhere. I can see EDAP TMS increasing revenues 3-4x current levels within the first couple years after approval. Many healthcare systems look up to the FDA and US approval would not only have impact in the states but outside as well.
    Dec 9, 2013. 08:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GT Advanced Technologies May Outperform As We Approach A 2014 Catalyst [View article]
    I did to diversify my position. The problem is that a lot of my picks have been going up 100% rather quickly and I am running out of ideas as I diversify into cash. I've become a bit of a trader as of late as I look for longer term ideas. I have a few.
    Nov 13, 2013. 03:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Adept Technology, An Acquisition Candidate? - Part II [View article]
    Good article, especially because I am long too. Here are some more tidbits.
    Robert Cain, Adept Technology CEO, is also an operating member of Hale Capital Partners. Hale made an $8 million dollar investment in Adept back in September 2012 acquiring 14% of the company. Robert Cain was announced CEO in February 2013 and was part of a turnover in upper management getting the company aligned. Let’s face it, the prior leadership just did not come through. Current leadership will stress share price and would be interested in a sale if the right offer is found.
    Telenetix a recent Hale partner investment that Robert Cain was a part of traded as low as 24 cents in the past 52 weeks and in now at $6.80 and being acquired. This is a group that gets things done and has shareholder interest in mind.

This is Hale's overview:
    "We bring a traditional growth equity skill set to non-traditional situations. We focus on under-appreciated, under-followed, or under-capitalized businesses, whether they are small public companies, non-core divisions of larger companies, restructurings, or simply good companies in out-of-favor industries. In every investment we work closely and patiently with management to help transform businesses into larger and more successful operations."
    Jun 8, 2013. 03:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I sold a little bit of my largest position NVTL at $3.20 for the same reason and started my position here. I wrote an article on it at 2 dollars a month ago and it was pushing $3.60 today. The gain was just too quick. I kind of wish I had some of it back after the fact.
    May 14, 2013. 08:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Alternative Energy Will Never Achieve Widespread Use In Our Lifetime [View article]
    Take a trip to Queensland Australia around Brisbane and take the train for an enlightening experience. Solar energy is all around residentially and appears to be on one of four houses. You can't look in a single direction and not see solar panels. My friend just took a 400 dollar energy bill down to 50 bucks a month. There is less stress on the grid but government had to throw in a few bucks to get things started. The U.S. is behind when it comes to alternatives but solar is well on its way to becoming a factor worldwide. Just not so much in the U.S. and its a shame because so many construction jobs could be created.
    Aug 13, 2012. 08:47 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ballard's Management Deserves Recognition While Peers Are Diluting [View article]
    There is little money for money loosing speculative companies right now. Many are diluting and my next article may likely be about that and public underwriters that are benifitting at the expense of the PLUGs and FCELs. Once profits can be made in the industry more attention will be given Ballards way. Ballard is not out of the water just yet.
    Mar 30, 2012. 05:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Today you need a management team that realizes investor ownership rights in a company even though it comes with little "real" rights. Growth should not come with extreme losses and further dilution. Ballard has had growth without dilution and will be able to maintain a higher EPS when earnings come. Then finally Ballard shareholders shall be rewarded.
    Mar 30, 2012. 11:57 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Adept Technology's CEO Discusses F2Q2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript [View article]
    http://bit.ly/wy5Hyt is the Adept website for natural packaging solutions