View as an RSS Feed
View James Sands' Articles BY TICKER:
Celadon Group And The Competitive Cross-Border Environment
- Cross-border shipments represent a significant amount of Celadon's total revenue comprising a 43% share during fiscal year 2013.
- Celadon claims to be the industry leader in cross-border truckload transportation between North American countries, yet the company holds a 1-3% share of this market.
- Rail companies are expanding intermodal rail yards which combined with intermodal truck carriers and intermodal marketing companies, will continue to increase the competitive environment near border areas.
- Celadon's business will need to continue to rely upon a sustainable acquisition strategy to be successful against the competition over the long-term.
Individual Investor Portfolio Update: Diversifying For Growth
- The portfolio has a near 7% return year-to-date.
- May and June marked months where a significant number of holdings were added to further diversify the portfolio.
- Individual holdings are gravitating towards better weighting proportions and cash inflows will be coming in during July and August.
Alibaba Group's U.S. Marketplace Business 11 Main Is Not An Immediate Threat To Amazon And eBay
- Alibaba's new e-commerce business-to-consumer marketplace 11 Main is now operating in the U.S.
- The site tailors to a wide variety of shop owners providing retail consumers access to many niche products with boutique-type businesses.
- Overall, it appears that the strategy is predicated on higher-end product items, with not much of an immediate competitive threat to Amazon and eBay.
At The Right Price, Apple, Amazon, And Google All Offer Strong Long-Term Value For Investors
- Apple and Google will generate significantly higher profit margins than Amazon long-term; I'm going out on a limb here.
- Amazon will generate the highest rate of diluted EPS growth between the three companies long-term; I'm really going out on a limb here.
- At the right price, all three of these companies will allow investors to average a 10% or higher return per year over the next decade.
What Do Leju's Rapid E-Commerce And Listing Revenue Growth Mean For SouFun?
- Leju's e-commerce and listing revenue segments grew 530% and 250% in 2013.
- In less than two years and as of the third quarter 2013, Leju has surpassed SouFun's e-commerce revenue on a quarterly basis.
- Leju has established agreements and strategic cooperation partnerships with SINA and Baidu including approximately 60 million members located in over 250 cities in China.
- Despite Leju's growth, SouFun's combined marketing and listing revenue should continue to outperform Leju in the near-term.
- SouFun has built an overall stronger independent brand which will provide a barrier to Leju's long-term diversification potential.
What Do Alibaba, SINA, And Twitter Have To Do With Weibo?
- Weibo has a solid deal in place for the next couple of years through its agreements with SINA and relationship with Alibaba.
- Weibo is positioned to potentially become profitable before Twitter, possibly by 2015.
- The company's first trading day price of $20.24/share is not screaming to be bought, yet is intriguing for the long term.
Youku Tudou: How A Positive View Turns Sour
- Baidu has significantly increased its investments in video-related content which will continue to weigh on Youku Tudou's margins and performance.
- Youku Tudou is falling behind the curve for digital advertising growth when compared to its peers as of the last quarter.
- Where would YouTube be without Google - is Youku Tudou destined for a perpetual low-margin business?
Individual Investor Portfolio Update: Rebalanced And Geared Up For The Long-Term
- The portfolio has undergone a significant rebalancing of equity holdings, driven by a more stringent earnings analysis approach.
- Sufficient cash is available in the event a market correction occurs in the near-term, or other opportunities present themselves.
- Early signs indicate that the fund is positioned to outperform the peer group.
E-Commerce China Dangdang Faces An Uphill Climb In China's Highly Competitive E-Commerce Market
- Major strategic partnerships are being undertaken by some of China's leading e-commerce companies threatening E-Commerce China Dangdang's current business strategies.
- Other business models including flash sales have emerged in China adding to the competitive landscape.
- Despite recent positive earnings results, public competitors are gaining market share at E-Commerce China Dangdang's expense.
- Trinity Industries: A Top Performer For The Cyclical Rail Manufacturing Industry
- Individual Investor Portfolio Update: It's Time To Take Profits And Restructure
- Kansas City Southern Quarterly Trend Update - December 2013 Fourth Quarter
- Union Pacific Corporation Quarterly Trend Update - December 2013 Fourth Quarter
- Norfolk Southern Quarterly Trend Update - December 2013 Fourth Quarter
- CSX Quarterly Trend Update - December 2013 Fourth Quarter
- Is Union Pacific The Best Public Rail Company To Own For 2014 And Beyond?
- Will A Christmas Glitch Throw A Hitch In Zulily's Growth Story?
- Zulily: A Compelling Buy Or Just Another Flash Sale In Time?
- Digging Into Criteo's Filings, Is This Company's Stock Price Poised To Blow Past Rocket Fuel?
- Rocket Fuel Inc. - A Potential Big Fish, Or Just Another Small Fry In The Ad-Tech Space?
- Individual Investor Portfolio Update: It's Time To Get Focused Back On Growth
- Millennial Media: Is This Company's Piece Of The Mobile Advertising Pie Too Small?
- Has Trulia, Inc. Positioned Itself To Be The Future Market Leader For Web And Mobile Real Estate Marketplace?
- YuMe: An All-Inclusive Assessment Of The Company And Digital Video Advertising Market
- Laredo Petroleum: A Company That Will Provide Strong Returns For Patient Investors
- Tremor Video: Take Caution Before Considering A Long Position
- Why Netflix's Biggest Threat May Be Discovery Communications
- Individual Investor Portfolio Update: Transportation-Related Stocks Are Beating Market Indices
- FedEx Versus UPS And DHL, A Comparative Analysis Of Global Logistics Giants
- Youku Tudou: An Investment Opportunity That Won't Last For Long
- Key Items To Consider For Velti's May 13, 2013 Earnings Report
- Mobile Marketing And Advertising: Explosive Growth And The Companies Driving It