Jamin Chen

View Jamin Chen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • To Buy High-Yielding AT&T Or Not To Buy? [View article]
    It appears that you are interested in a buy and hold investment and investing in just a small number of stocks. For such a purpose, an investment in the ETF DIA with dividend reinvested may be a possibility. It may return about 8% compounded if the past is any guide, though that does not guarantee the future performance. For detail you may look into my article: http://seekingalpha.co...
    The article is based on applying the data correction technique regularly used by chemical engineering profession to the performance of DIA which I believe you can follow easily.
    For the long term investment purpose, I feel DIA is better than the two other market averages, SPY or QQQ, for the reason that DIA is less like a market average but more like a collection of the 30 of the best corporations in the United States.
    Oct 12 10:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: The Absurdity Of Believing That Dividends Don't Matter In Retirement [View article]
    Here, you have it. For 5 years into the future, you may put a high probability of T and VZ keeping their dividends and you may put very low probability on their capital appreciation, and they may still come ahead of other DJIA stocks.
    Aug 12 05:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The formula in the above post did not appear correctly. Here it is again:

Probable return on a stock =
    [(annualized capital appreciation)x
    (probability)
    + (annualized dividend)x(probability)]
    /(purchase price of the stock)

Hope it will appear correct this time.
    Aug 12 01:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    We buy stocks to make money. Of the many ways to make money from stocks, capital appreciation and dividend are the two adopted by many. In picking a stock based on these two principles, the stock may be evaluated by the following simple formula:
    Probable return on a stock = [(annualized capital appreciation)x(probabi... + (annualized dividend)x(probability... price of the stock)
    If you would, you can throw in the annualized growth of the capital appreciation as well as annualized growth of the dividend in the evaluation above.
    Based on the principles above, whether you pick a stock for its dividend or capital appreciation, or both, is up to you.
    There is no need to pick one over the other. Do not overlook the probability of each over the expected investing time horizon.
    Aug 12 12:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Manipulation: What Investors Should Do Now [View article]
    Manipulation or not, the best long term investment one can have is stocks, especially the market indices. The next best is precious metals, though far inferior to the market indices. The worst is the U.S. dollar or any paper money issued by any government; they all have devalued relative to precious metals. All you have to look is how all three of them performed in the last 25 years, 50 years, or even 100 years. However, if you are interested in investment less than 25 years, as most of us are, the values of most investments oscillate widely and you would most probably not be able to pick the winner among the three.
    Jun 7 08:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investors pull $18B from SPDR S&P 500 ETF [View news story]
    Small investors like you and I are putting money into the market via VOO while someone else is getting out of the market via SPY. Very interesting.
    Mar 10 04:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How The Fed Turned Taper Selloff Into A Rally: The Real Reasons And Lessons [View article]
    If the market continues to attract more inflow of cash by going ever higher, where the cash will come from to fill the gap created by the $10 billion tapered by the Fed?
    Dec 22 11:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bitcoin: The Future Of An Illusion [View article]
    I asked only a few days ago someone who fled Vietnam when the US pulled out there what did he carry with him, US dollars or gold? He said gold. He bought everything with gold, even the boat ride he took out of Vietnam.
    Dec 3 10:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold ETF Liquidation Far From Over, Could Push Prices Below $1,300 [View article]
    According to GLD website, the ETF started in 11/18/2004. For most of 2005, GLD was traded between 40 and 60. The number of GLD shares outstanding is about 1,000 tons. Suppose the issuer sold out all the shares in 2005 and GLD is doing $130+ today, someone must have lost a lot of money. Suppose again the issuer borrowed gold from some central banks, how do they repay the central banks?
    May 29 12:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Double Your Money: Part 1, The Basics [View article]
    Yours is a very good advice. Setting an unachievable goal is a prelude to a failure, sometimes even a disaster. In this series of article, I tried to explore what it takes to achieve certain goals. It does not necessary mean if you have all these conditions you can achieve what you set out to do. However, I hope what I presented here gives some ideas on what may be achieved with what you got. In fact, I have been experimenting with the principles set out in this series. The outcome has been generally positive. However, there are many other things, both investor psychology as well as the will of the market itself, having tremendous effects on the outcome of such an undertaking.
    Apr 1 09:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Double Your Money - An Investor Behaving Badly? [View article]
    I use an Excel spreadsheet devised by myself. It takes some work to get it to work properly. Not the greatest thing but inexpensive. Thanks for asking.
    Dec 6 07:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Double Your Money: Part 3, The Results [View article]
    No. Basically, I do not trade in anything that has a time limit on it.
    Dec 4 09:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Double Your Money - An Investor Behaving Badly? [View article]
    I like your life style, Brian.
    At our age, having fun is the number one thing.
    Playing the market is for some brain twisting to keep it running well oiled.
    Dec 4 04:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Double Your Money - An Investor Behaving Badly? [View article]
    I am retired and, therefore, I have much more time than most people who are working. I spend a lot to time, about 4 hours in the morning everyday, in front of the computer not just for the stock market but also for almost everything else these days, like reading newspaper, reading e-mail, playing games, and so on. Usually, before the market opens, I glance through the list of stocks I am interested in. After the market opens, I follow the market for about 20-30 minutes to figure out the possible entry point of the day. Then, while I am going about other things in life, I keep an eye on the market. When the strike situation occurs, I then buy the stock which mostly takes only about 5 minutes or so. After I bought it, I immediately place a limited sell order. After that I follow the price movement of the stock by computer or I-phone. When I see a situation I can get out with a profit I am happy with, I sell the stock immediately even if it does not reach the original sell price.
    By the way, I spend most of every afternoon playing ping pong at a senior center and I play Mah Jangg one or two mornings there also. A smart phone is a great thing.
    Dec 4 02:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Buy And Hold Strategy [View article]
    Thanks for the compliment. I think one of the important things about investment is a realistic evaluation of what we can earn with our money. Thanks again.
    Aug 16 08:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment