Jamin Chen

View Jamin Chen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Investors pull $18B from SPDR S&P 500 ETF [View news story]
    Small investors like you and I are putting money into the market via VOO while someone else is getting out of the market via SPY. Very interesting.
    Mar 10 04:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How The Fed Turned Taper Selloff Into A Rally: The Real Reasons And Lessons [View article]
    If the market continues to attract more inflow of cash by going ever higher, where the cash will come from to fill the gap created by the $10 billion tapered by the Fed?
    Dec 22 11:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bitcoin: The Future Of An Illusion [View article]
    I asked only a few days ago someone who fled Vietnam when the US pulled out there what did he carry with him, US dollars or gold? He said gold. He bought everything with gold, even the boat ride he took out of Vietnam.
    Dec 3 10:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold ETF Liquidation Far From Over, Could Push Prices Below $1,300 [View article]
    According to GLD website, the ETF started in 11/18/2004. For most of 2005, GLD was traded between 40 and 60. The number of GLD shares outstanding is about 1,000 tons. Suppose the issuer sold out all the shares in 2005 and GLD is doing $130+ today, someone must have lost a lot of money. Suppose again the issuer borrowed gold from some central banks, how do they repay the central banks?
    May 29 12:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Double Your Money: Part 1, The Basics [View article]
    Yours is a very good advice. Setting an unachievable goal is a prelude to a failure, sometimes even a disaster. In this series of article, I tried to explore what it takes to achieve certain goals. It does not necessary mean if you have all these conditions you can achieve what you set out to do. However, I hope what I presented here gives some ideas on what may be achieved with what you got. In fact, I have been experimenting with the principles set out in this series. The outcome has been generally positive. However, there are many other things, both investor psychology as well as the will of the market itself, having tremendous effects on the outcome of such an undertaking.
    Apr 1 09:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Double Your Money - An Investor Behaving Badly? [View article]
    I use an Excel spreadsheet devised by myself. It takes some work to get it to work properly. Not the greatest thing but inexpensive. Thanks for asking.
    Dec 6 07:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Double Your Money: Part 3, The Results [View article]
    No. Basically, I do not trade in anything that has a time limit on it.
    Dec 4 09:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Double Your Money - An Investor Behaving Badly? [View article]
    I like your life style, Brian.
    At our age, having fun is the number one thing.
    Playing the market is for some brain twisting to keep it running well oiled.
    Dec 4 04:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Double Your Money - An Investor Behaving Badly? [View article]
    I am retired and, therefore, I have much more time than most people who are working. I spend a lot to time, about 4 hours in the morning everyday, in front of the computer not just for the stock market but also for almost everything else these days, like reading newspaper, reading e-mail, playing games, and so on. Usually, before the market opens, I glance through the list of stocks I am interested in. After the market opens, I follow the market for about 20-30 minutes to figure out the possible entry point of the day. Then, while I am going about other things in life, I keep an eye on the market. When the strike situation occurs, I then buy the stock which mostly takes only about 5 minutes or so. After I bought it, I immediately place a limited sell order. After that I follow the price movement of the stock by computer or I-phone. When I see a situation I can get out with a profit I am happy with, I sell the stock immediately even if it does not reach the original sell price.
    By the way, I spend most of every afternoon playing ping pong at a senior center and I play Mah Jangg one or two mornings there also. A smart phone is a great thing.
    Dec 4 02:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Buy And Hold Strategy [View article]
    Thanks for the compliment. I think one of the important things about investment is a realistic evaluation of what we can earn with our money. Thanks again.
    Aug 16 08:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Poor Man's Program Trading: One Year Later [View article]
    By "good use" I meant using it in other types of investing. In my case it is swing trade. Since the start of this year, the swing trade had netted $12,993.76, or 5.23% of the initial allocation to the program trading. If I combined the two together, the annual return is more than 11% which is very respectable. The detail of my swing trade is in my articles about "how to double your money." I have avoid reporting the two trades (the program trading and swing trade) together because it could be quite confusing to the readers. Yet, for my investing purpose, the two compliment each other. Maybe someday, I will make a comprehensive report of them.
    Aug 7 11:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Poor Man's Program Trading: One Year Later [View article]
    You are right when you make a direction comparison between the program trading described here and the buy and hold program. However, there is a large cash hold in this program trading. If you can make a good use of that cash hold, the combined return will mostly likely be greater than a simple buy and hold. That is a subject I'll address in the future.
    Thanks for your comment.
    Aug 7 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Poor Man's Program Trading: One Year Later [View article]
    If you read through all the articles I have written on this subjects, you will find the "system" and strategies I have been using associated with the program trading. I'll look into the possibility of third party verification sometimes in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Aug 7 08:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Poor Man's Program Trading: One Year Later [View article]
    The net (gain) from this trading is after all trading costs which is mostly commissions. The total trading cost over the year comes to $924.78 which is 6.2% of the net gain and 0.37% of the initial capital. I traded in my IRA account and, therefore, there is no tax consequence from this trading. The buy and hold strategy I mentioned is also for IRA account. Therefore, the comparison should be comparable.
    Thanks for the request for clarification.
    Aug 6 08:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Generate Income From Your Nest Egg [View article]
    Poundofbutter
    I would suggest that you take a look at an investment in DIA (or SPY). If you
    (1) make a monthly investment starting with an initial investment of $1,000 and
    (2) increase it by 0.4% per month (which is the average income growth of an American male) and
    (3) buy DIA with dividend reinvested,
    (4) by the time you retire in 30 years from now, DJIA will be about 71,854, if it will grow at a rate as it has been in the past 100 years or so,
    (5) you will have made a total contribution of $831,516, and
    (6) you will own 3,957 shares of DIA which will be worth $2,750,448 at $718 per share with an annual return of 8.8% and will distribute $73,212 of dividends on the year you retire,
    (7) but the inflation will make your accumulated wealth worth only $1,057,952 in the 2012 dollar.
    There are certain lessons here. The power of compounding is one. But the effect of inflation is something you cannot neglect.
    The detail of how I came to this number is in my Seeking Alpha article: http://seekingalpha.co....
    Jamin