Jared Gardner

View Jared Gardner's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Trading Apple Going Into The iPhone 4S Release Date [View article]
    How so? If you don't mind me asking, what argument are you talking about?

In this article, what I was trying to show was that the alphas that we are seeing currently are WAY below what we have previously experienced.

I am actually very bullish on AAPL, even with the recent announcement. You can see an article I wrote on AAPL's strategy here:

Oct 10 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trading Apple Going Into The iPhone 4S Release Date [View article]
    Excellent, Paul. And I can almost guarantee that the average iPhone customer is totally willing to do just what you are suggesting.

I tried to find some data that proved that the average iPhone customer upgrades more frequently, but I am still looking.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Oct 8 03:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Silver Lining of Apple's iPhone Announcement [View article]
    I agree despicable. I totally didn't even get into the upgrade cycle issues, because my article was already quite long.
    Oct 6 01:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Silver Lining of Apple's iPhone Announcement [View article]
    Thanks Greg,

Just a couple of things:

I totally agree with the whole iPhone 4S vs iPhone 5. If they would have called an iPhone 5, the products would be flying off the shelves.

I really liked your question: "What were people expecting in way of features or technology? "

I think people were expecting to be "Wowed". They anticipated something completely unexpected. Apple IS supposed to be the innovator. Instead we got Siri, which although may be more polished and advanced than any other voice recognition, is an older feature for Android. As well, the major rumor was for an iPhone 5 AND an iPhone 4S, so the lack of an additional SKU is heart wrenching.

As for the Apple products lagging in tech specs, you have to remember that I am not talking about peformance. I am talking about specifications of hardware. Apple software is able to squeeze performance out of significantly lower-rated hardware. That is one reason margins are so high.

I'm not quite sure what to say about your last point concerning cheap PC's vs expensive Macs. If you look online, there are a myriad of people that are creating dual- or triple-boot hardware setups that run Microsoft, Linux, and Apple OS's. Their hardware is superior to that of the Macs and considerably cheaper (the OS part is also illegal, but it makes a decent hardware comparison).

I guess, if what you are saying is that if you are trying to mimic Mac performance on a PC, you can't get the bargain basement $400 computer from Dell, then I agree with you. However, when you can make your own PC for $1,200-$1,500 and it runs faster than a Mac (which starts at $2,500), that is a decent comparison.

Does all that make sense?
    Oct 6 12:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Silver Lining of Apple's iPhone Announcement [View article]
    Great comment!

I agree that the margins are a little silly. And, although the level of margins are blown out of proportion, what I was getting at is that the declining margins are always a sticking point when earnings come out and it always hurts the stock because at least one analyst makes it a point to mention falling margins.

I think in the long run, margins will continue to contract on physical products, but that AAPL will make it up in content and app sales.

Thank you for reading and commenting.

BTW, are you bearish on AAPL?

So are you bearish on AAPL?
    Oct 6 07:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ways To Play Apple's Next Earnings Report [View article]
    Rocco and anyone else,

Just interested in what you think about statistical analysis around AAPL's iPhone announcements, like what I did in this article:

Oct 4 10:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Critical Day For Apple [View article]
    Great qualitative analysis. I did a little statistical research around announcement days and AAPL's alpha performance (see link below). How do you think AAPL's alpha will fare given:

-only a iPhone 4s
    -iPhone 4s and iPhone 5 for all carriers
    -iPhone 5 exclusive for Sprint

Link to my article:
    Oct 4 08:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    "Let's cut the CEO's pay in half and then maybe they could see a better profit margin without having to add another fee for overhead lighting at your seat."

Last year, AMR's CEO made $5.2 Million.

AMR lost $471 Million.

Maybe there is someone else to blame. Check out this economic paper:

Oct 4 08:41 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Compelling Valuation: Should You Buy Before iPhone Announcement? [View article]
    I did some statistical analysis looking at the average alpha associated with AAPL announcements. Click below to go to the article. Basically, the market is not in line with previous announcements, on an alpha basis.

Oct 4 08:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BIDU's Covered Call Opportunity [View article]
    Yeah.

Go on Bankrate.com and search through their CD's. Right now, it looks like the best you can do is a 1.35% APY with Aurora Bank.
    Oct 4 06:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Critic Says To Buy On Apple's Weakness [View article]
    Brand new article that confirms the pent up demand:

Oct 3 04:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • October: 'A Great Time To Buy Stocks' [View article]
    "Sell in May and go away" and all that jazz.

I'm sitting at beta neutral right now until we see a serious trend emerge. And even then, in this macro environment, I'm know that I can generate more alpha pitting companies against each other than trying to figure out what politicians are going to do.
    Oct 3 09:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BIDU's Covered Call Opportunity [View article]
    Great method! I'm following you now and look forward to you publishing some of your findings.

I also follow a lot of the same advice (see my comment below about this article).
    Oct 3 07:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BIDU's Covered Call Opportunity [View article]
    Please see my comment below. I never meant for this to be a recommendation to do a covered call on BIDU. BIDU was just used as an example.

However, I love your analysis, and would probably look at doing something like that. Followed.
    Oct 3 07:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BIDU's Covered Call Opportunity [View article]
    I agree. Please see my comment at the bottom.
    Oct 3 07:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment