Jared Gardner

View Jared Gardner's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Maximize Income With A Dividend Capture Strategy [View article]
    Thanks for the comment, nivramkoorb. Actually, I mention ADVDX (from Alpine) in my next article. I agree that because the strategy is well known, the opportunities for profits are harder to come by. In fact, a lot of the times what you are looking at when watching the prices around the ex-dividend date is not just the price adjusting for the dividend, but also people getting in and out because: 1) they want to get into the stock on the ex-date at the lower price, or 2) they are trying to run the dividend capture.

Check my next article, as it will have some insight as to how some institutions look at the dividend capture, and an alternative framework that could lead to abnormal (positive) returns.
    Nov 18 02:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    Willl Google's earnings announcement surprise the market today?

For more info about Google's earnings release, including a historical analysis of previous earnings reports, view this Premium Seeking Alpha article:

Oct 13 10:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trading Apple Going Into The iPhone 4S Release Date [View article]
    How so? If you don't mind me asking, what argument are you talking about?

In this article, what I was trying to show was that the alphas that we are seeing currently are WAY below what we have previously experienced.

I am actually very bullish on AAPL, even with the recent announcement. You can see an article I wrote on AAPL's strategy here:

Oct 10 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trading Apple Going Into The iPhone 4S Release Date [View article]
    Excellent, Paul. And I can almost guarantee that the average iPhone customer is totally willing to do just what you are suggesting.

I tried to find some data that proved that the average iPhone customer upgrades more frequently, but I am still looking.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Oct 8 03:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Silver Lining of Apple's iPhone Announcement [View article]
    I agree despicable. I totally didn't even get into the upgrade cycle issues, because my article was already quite long.
    Oct 6 01:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Silver Lining of Apple's iPhone Announcement [View article]
    Great comment!

I agree that the margins are a little silly. And, although the level of margins are blown out of proportion, what I was getting at is that the declining margins are always a sticking point when earnings come out and it always hurts the stock because at least one analyst makes it a point to mention falling margins.

I think in the long run, margins will continue to contract on physical products, but that AAPL will make it up in content and app sales.

Thank you for reading and commenting.

BTW, are you bearish on AAPL?

So are you bearish on AAPL?
    Oct 6 07:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ways To Play Apple's Next Earnings Report [View article]
    Rocco and anyone else,

Just interested in what you think about statistical analysis around AAPL's iPhone announcements, like what I did in this article:

Oct 4 10:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Critical Day For Apple [View article]
    Great qualitative analysis. I did a little statistical research around announcement days and AAPL's alpha performance (see link below). How do you think AAPL's alpha will fare given:

-only a iPhone 4s
    -iPhone 4s and iPhone 5 for all carriers
    -iPhone 5 exclusive for Sprint

Link to my article:
    Oct 4 08:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Compelling Valuation: Should You Buy Before iPhone Announcement? [View article]
    I did some statistical analysis looking at the average alpha associated with AAPL announcements. Click below to go to the article. Basically, the market is not in line with previous announcements, on an alpha basis.

Oct 4 08:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BIDU's Covered Call Opportunity [View article]
    Yeah.

Go on Bankrate.com and search through their CD's. Right now, it looks like the best you can do is a 1.35% APY with Aurora Bank.
    Oct 4 06:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Critic Says To Buy On Apple's Weakness [View article]
    Brand new article that confirms the pent up demand:

Oct 3 04:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • October: 'A Great Time To Buy Stocks' [View article]
    "Sell in May and go away" and all that jazz.

I'm sitting at beta neutral right now until we see a serious trend emerge. And even then, in this macro environment, I'm know that I can generate more alpha pitting companies against each other than trying to figure out what politicians are going to do.
    Oct 3 09:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BIDU's Covered Call Opportunity [View article]
    Great method! I'm following you now and look forward to you publishing some of your findings.

I also follow a lot of the same advice (see my comment below about this article).
    Oct 3 07:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BIDU's Covered Call Opportunity [View article]
    Please see my comment below. I never meant for this to be a recommendation to do a covered call on BIDU. BIDU was just used as an example.

However, I love your analysis, and would probably look at doing something like that. Followed.
    Oct 3 07:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BIDU's Covered Call Opportunity [View article]
    I agree. Please see my comment at the bottom.
    Oct 3 07:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment