Jarrod W. Jacinth

View Jarrod W. Jacinth's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Benjamin Graham's Rules For The Common Stock Component: National Oilwell Varco [View article]
    Graham expected earnings to grow over time. So eps six or seven years ago should be lower than the last twelve months. He expected earnings to double every 10 years at least. At the same time he knew that there are also good years and bad years.
    May 16, 2013. 06:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Coca-Cola: It Will Pay Dividends In The Long Run [View article]
    "Founded in 1917"

The drink was created in 1886 and the company was incorporated in 1892.

KO has been publicly traded since 1919, being reincorporated as a Delaware company. Not sure where 1917 comes into play.

"with a long standing dividend which has been paid since 1987"

KO has increased its dividend since 1963 and paid a consecutive quarterly dividend since 1920.

May 14, 2013. 06:55 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How 'Old Money' Can Build Wealth For The Average Person [View article]

XOM has been fairly stagnant as of late. Some of the critiques I've seen is that the dividend is far too low for the amount of money the company generates. It seems that people may be taking their money out of XOM and moving to CVX.

It depends on how you view dividend stocks. Do you want a steady dividend increase along with an increase in equity price?

Do you want an increase in dividends and not so much equity price?

Both scenarios have their advantages and disadvantages.
    May 12, 2013. 01:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How 'Old Money' Can Build Wealth For The Average Person [View article]

Thank you for your comment. I'm 34 and tend to write with a target viewership of people who are still in the stages of building their portfolios and wealth.

I'm sorry to read about the money you lost with Lehman Brothers but it should not sour you all together on lower paying dividend stocks.

During the crash of 2008 I know of many people who lost just as much as you, except in REITS. The sell was a high dividend yield, but because of the business they were in simply could not fend off the crash. Personally, I like HCP and NLY. I would not suggest reinvesting dividends when in REITS they can be a great way to produce immediate income once some one is in retirement.

All the Best,

May 12, 2013. 01:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How 'Old Money' Can Build Wealth For The Average Person [View article]
    Yes, sorry it's $4 @ 3.2%
    May 12, 2013. 12:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Monopoly For Investors: Utilities [View article]

Of all three I mention NWN is the least desirable. The 81% payout throws up a red flag.

Because of their high yield and and dividend growth history, people have initiated a position driving the price up. However the earnings does not reflect the run up in price.

I'm not sure where you received the numbers for the 3 yr income growth. I have a 3.75% 5 year growth vs. 8.30% for industry. However, this is still a concern either way, as they have such a history of increasing dividends will they be able to continue to do so at a 81% payout and if not; what will the sell off be like?
    May 11, 2013. 03:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Footsteps Of Buffett Portfolio: An Introduction [View article]
    “It’s far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price.”

This is, in part why I have the Weekly 50 sma rule in place. There is usually one or two pullback / corrections in a year. I plan to wait and take advantage of the phenomenon.

I do not believe the market is anyway over valued at the moment. Yes, we are due for a correction, but not over valued. We are only slightly over the highs posted in 2007 before the crash.

Where would the indices be if we did not have the 2008 crash? Or for that matter if it was just a correction and not almost a complete economic meltdown?
    May 10, 2013. 05:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement In A World Without Social Security: Follow Up [View article]

I appreciate your rebut and yes, many comments are off topic. As I said in a previous post I believe many people are simply frustrated at the non-action by Congress.

Yes the basic numbers are from Wikipedia, double check by other sources. That is why Wikipedia has references, so the reader has the opportunity to double check claims made.

As far as your numbers from the World Bank, I find the World Bank to be considerably less trust worthy than Wikipedia.

I ended fertility rate with 1979 for two reasons, none of which you accurately mention. Those born in 1979 will meet a retirement age of 65 in 2044, 11 after the projected 2033 date. I did not want to get too far ahead of myself. Also I did not want to have to explain population growth as most of it comes from immigration, turning the focus into an immigration debate.

The CDC released a report that in 2011 Americans had fewer children than in any other year prior.

Yes, I not include population numbers, estimate none the less as I did not wish to turn this article into a debate about immigration, as stated above. You are providing the information of population increases, however forget to include any correlation to people paying into SS. Why? Because you can't, no one can.

We are seeing an increase of the shadow economy, people are simply not working as businesses are learning to do more with less. People are in a hole and require government benefits to survive but yet there is no plan to get these people off of government benefits. Or a plan in general.

Estimates for job creation was so low, "we" beat the estimates for April, however if a bar is low enough anyone can step over it.

In my article I linked a press release by the SSA stating what they have found the condition of SS to be in. Yet you are also linking the SSA and expect a different response?

The point of the article, which I am not sure you got, is that people should calculate their retirement needs without SS. As it is better to retire with enough money and SS than it is with not enough money and not have SS.

Have a great weekend!
    May 4, 2013. 11:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement In A World Without Social Security: Follow Up [View article]
    The link I provided states that the disability portion of SS is going under in 2016.

I would make the same argument as I have for SS retirement.

Save Your Money!

It is unfortunate some of the circumstances that people are required to be on disability. However, there seems to be a factor in our culture that we continue to trick ourselves that bad things won't happen.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I truly believe it also has to do with how some parents raise their kids.

I remember when I had my first job. I had money sitting around simply because I was still in high school and drove a 1981 VW Quantum....remember those?

Any way, I started talking with my mother as I was interested in investing at age 17. "That Woman" informed me that the stock market is a horrible place and I would lose all my money.

My son is 5 and I am instilling, or at least trying to, how investing money as opposed to buying crap is a solid life long decision. However, it is difficult as all he talks about are transformers right now. So I have to be creative and change my language so he understands, to a point.
    May 4, 2013. 10:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement In A World Without Social Security: Follow Up [View article]
    Some of the "right-wingers" is most likely a lot of people who are simply frustrated with the predicament we are in and no one is listening.

One of the links I provided is a press release by the SSA to Congress. The SSA reports on the state of the trust, informs congress and nothing is done.

This is an issue that can be fixed, over time, it is just another issue that keeps being ignored.
    May 4, 2013. 10:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement In A World Without Social Security: Follow Up [View article]
    Are you able to share these changes with us? I'd be interested in reading it.

Currently, the SSA needs $8.2 Trillion (2012 dollars) to float SS for 75 years. That is over one-half our GDP.
    May 4, 2013. 10:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement In A World Without Social Security: Follow Up [View article]
    No the government is not a magician. But even our elected officials can see the flaw of a program that makes no attempt to grow the money.

Simply counting on continued population growth is the second mistake when structuring SS.

The third mistake is that enough people and or small businesses are going to report earnings along with the increase in population.

cnbc reported a UW - Madison report that the shadow economy last year estimated to move about $2 Trillion. That is over 13% of our GDP that is not taxed.
    May 4, 2013. 10:07 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement In A World Without Social Security: Follow Up [View article]
    The cap to pay into SS is about $114,000.

I would agree one of the main issues is that the money that is paid into the trust is not grown and instead is paid out relatively immediately.
    May 4, 2013. 09:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement In A World Without Social Security: Follow Up [View article]
    A pension due to working in the public sector? as well as SS?
    May 4, 2013. 09:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Use Your Tax Refund To Start Your Retirement Savings [View article]
    The original 10 sectors I used are derived from the Global Industry Classification Standard (GICS), also used by the S&P 500. The 10 sectors are:
    Consumer Discretionary