Jason Merriam

View Jason Merriam's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My Bet On Seeking Alpha's Future [View article]
    David, you did one hell of a great job bringing SA to where it is now. Congrats.

Congrats to Eli for everything he has done to build the community and best of luck on taking us further. Job well done gentlemen.
    Jul 2, 2015. 09:05 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chance To Profit Off The SFX Entertainment Going Private Transaction? [View article]
    Excellent food for thought, thanks.
    Jul 1, 2015. 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Anniversary Of W.I.T. [View article]
    One of the best reads I've had all week! Thanks for the multi-dimensional overview.
    Jul 1, 2015. 12:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Puerto Rican Sell-Off Brings Forward Tremendous Opportunity For Assured Guaranty [View article]
    Any thoughts on the impact to yet unnamed bond insurers who bought bridge loans as part of the payment package?
    Jul 1, 2015. 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Life Insurance Stock Prices And Higher Interest Rates [View article]
    Donald,
    Very compelling analysis, thank you.
    Jul 1, 2015. 11:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Partying Like It Is 2007 [View article]
    Goalkick9,
    Companies insuring those bonds come to mind (re: what gets jolted?)
    Jun 30, 2015. 11:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Properly Accounting For Earnings And Capital Expenditures In The Tech Sector [View article]
    Excellent article Ben.
    Jun 30, 2015. 10:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • $3 Billion In Oil & Gas Goodwill Write-Downs Could Be Coming At GE [View article]
    Ben,
    Great to see you back in the neighborhood. Good article as usual.

You have to think if a Transocean or Devon find themselves taking asset charges, GE likely would need to also at some point. I find it interesting that Harold Hamm (Cont. Resources) refuses to write-down anything on his bloated balance sheet, but he's a hamm!
    Jun 22, 2015. 11:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Pair Trade For Oil E&Ps [View article]
    Esekla,

Agreed, those two issues make a takeover unlikely and a good argument to short CLR. Unfortunately, the steps to determine "impairment" remain uniquely subjective, but you have to think there is equity destruction lurking there somewhere.

I'm long COP and will continue to be. Good article.
    Jun 22, 2015. 10:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Greece Is Fixed And Everything Is Awesome! [View article]
    Philip,
    Always enjoy reading your macro perspectives. On the issue of Greece, one can only hope that they bring something to the table everyone can chew on. The Greek punch-bowl isn't empty, because it was never filled.

The recent Podemos victories in Spain would make good incentive for the ECU and IMF to keep anti-austeritists on a tight leash.
    Jun 22, 2015. 09:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas: Lackluster Hydroelectric And Nuclear Generation Will Drive Gas Demand And Prices Higher This Summer [View article]
    I read this article with interest and appreciate the effort and research provided by the author. Ironically, I visited Grand Coulee, Chief Joseph and John Day dams last week (all located in Columbia River Basin).

Pacific Northwest experienced a warmer than usual winter this year as evidenced by early opening of the North Cascades Highway.

However, BPA folks we spoke to said steep gradients in the region accounted for much of the net summer productivity. At Chief Joseph for example, auxiliary turbines were operating, but not the primary blades. There was a tone of cautiousness on the view going forward, but we did not sense any desperation.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out and thanks again for a thought provoking article.
    Jun 22, 2015. 09:37 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Think You Have The Wrong Number [View article]
    George,
    LOL, I didn't consider the demographic issues!!! To think that all these years I assumed it was limp pasta sales and margin issues.

The Hershey Spa...hmmm. Chocolate and linguini as a therapeutic soak. Al dente even!! Do you realize how many gin martinis it would require for me to imagine the possibilities?
    May 25, 2015. 05:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Psychology More Important Than Data In The Week Ahead [View article]
    zarjad,
    There are also many others who believe that Grexit will have a negative impact on euro. There are too many reasons to cite in a comment, but counter-party risk comes to mind rather easily.

As for the German's, put yourself in their shoes. Would you want to keep writing checks to somebody who thinks that not-repaying a loan is the creditor's problem rather than the debtor's problem?

Granted, austerity is not a wonderful proposition, but a Greek default to the ECB obligations won't prove any good point to the county's electorate.

I would also respectfully disagree with your point that the author is "clearly supporting Greece in their struggle against the troika". I did not read into that at all.

What I read was that progress has been made in the Greek camp (Tsipras gave his finance minister a rabies shot) and it appears the German's are giving some thought to referendums and parallel currency.

The parallel currency notion is interesting and likely a better alternative to Greece leaving the euro outright. Besides, if you think the interest rates Greece pays are high now, what collateral will they have to support a drachma?

Greece has very few cards to play and this poker game is long past the bluff stage.

May 25, 2015. 05:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I Think You Have The Wrong Number [View article]
    George,
    I had a good chuckle from your channel check comment, but it reminded me of something I learned twenty years ago.

In 1995 i was introduced to Frank Cappiello following a conference where he spoke. This was early in my career and when I was intern for a charitable trust.

Mr. Cappiello told me two things that I'll never forget.
    1) That Hershey was (at the time) the nation's leading seller of pasta
    2) His response to my consumer discretionary question - "I have eight pairs of shoes, my wife has double that and even more piled in the children's closets. Only four pairs of feet to wear them".

Who would have thought Hershey to have a 27% domestic market share of pasta? I certainly didn't, but his shoe analogy helped broaden my observation of channel check and inventory beyond the warehouse and retail store shelves.

May 25, 2015. 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Psychology More Important Than Data In The Week Ahead [View article]
    Marc,
    Great read as usual. I had been concerned about my short euro position, but perhaps Greece and Spain gives it another leg up?
    May 24, 2015. 08:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment