Jay M. Taylor

View Jay M. Taylor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Surna: A Fresh Look At My Favorite Weed Stock [View article]
    Thanks for the suggestion Alan, definitely not spam. Great to see Czarkowski's comments, especially with how little information there is for the market to consider regarding Surna. Not surprising to see someone else visit Surna HQ and walk away with some of the same impressions.

Jun 4, 2015. 03:06 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Surna: Why I'm Long This Hidden Gem [View article]
    10-K is up, http://bit.ly/1GTBwzI

The results look mixed-to-weak. Q4 rev ~$632k vs Q3 rev ~$859.5k.

Bryon Jorgenson is NOT going to be CEO after all.

Cash burn remains a very real concern, $690k cash @ end Q4 w/ $432.4k annual pay for COO, CBO, VP Sales, VP R&D alone. CEO Tom Bollich was pulling $72k in salary but CBO makes $110k and COO makes $130 so I'm assuming the new CEO will come in even higher. Surna has an additional 30 employees to pay and operations to fund. In short, it needs cash.

Really eager for a press release or management commentary to give us some context. It's true that they've already booked over $1m in revenue that will likely be recognized in Q3/Q4 2015, Bollich has a lot of shares to sell and has made a personal loan that must be paid "on demand" and many other important factors here.
    Apr 17, 2015. 10:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Surna: Why I'm Long This Hidden Gem [View article]
    To be fair, they have filed late before (November) when it wasn't bad news. And in this case - with the annual report - there is a whole lot to explain circa March 2014. The CFO had mentioned that they were hoping for mid-March so I'm certainly surprised by the late filing...but it's a pretty small operation.
    Apr 2, 2015. 11:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Surna: Why I'm Long This Hidden Gem [View article]
    Surna filed with the SEC "notification of inability to timely file" for everything we're waiting on but indicated that it anticipates being able to file within the "grace period," which is 15 days for annual reports. Stay tuned!
    Apr 1, 2015. 09:42 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Surna Inc.: Why This Hyped Stock May Go All The Way Down To Zero [View article]
    I really struggle with this article. You refer to annual revenue figures (and the lack of revenue they reveal) as the main reason this company is going to zero. Considering that this ticker went through a reverse-IPO and the Surna we see today didn't exist until 3/31/14, your decision to completely ignore quarterly numbers demonstrates that you don't understand the company.

More importantly, when this was pointed out to you, you defended your shoddy research rather than admitting the mistake. You even called the person who pointed out your mistake "defensive."

Really?

Your article led me to buy shares of this "hyped stock" that you think will "go all the way down to zero."
    Mar 30, 2015. 12:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Ltd.: My Game Plan For Tomorrow [View article]
    I don't understand your "under $20" plan. You either like it here or you don't. The article seems to suggest that you don't and that you would under $20...without any reasoning behind why the stock is worth buying there and not here.

Seems to me that if you believe in the long-term thesis then you like it here just fine...rather than hoping for an additional $0.34 drop that won't matter much when this hits $40 again.

Am I crazy?
    Nov 25, 2014. 12:21 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vapor Corp: Earnings Pre-Announcement Paints Dire Picture [View article]
    Duly noted.
    Nov 11, 2014. 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vapor Corporation: Ignore The Volatility, Focus On The Long-Term [View article]
    I'm not sure whether they're doing it because they are bound by lease agreements or because it was part of their stated growth strategy but the company is definitely entering retail market. They don't talk about it anywhere...but if you do some Googling you'll find job postings for retail managers in several markets (Texas, Maryland, Florida) as well as a district manager position in Texas. I discussed this in my article a little while back.

I am increasingly souring on the long-term thesis for this company. In the wake of my article some people came out of the woodwork to describe their negative experience working with VPCO, one claiming to be a soon-to-be ex-distributor in Kansas City. Product reviews are weak and the market is pretty saturated...just not with publicly traded players. I'm certain that eventually it will consolidate but I'm not certain VPCO is the best-in-show that will take over.

I still have a little skin in the game but I mostly got out last week when it doubled in two days. At this point I'm basically in it because I love heartburn. And it's fun to watch. VPCO needs cash and if they aren't generating it as of this next earnings report they may need to borrow more or do a secondary to pay off their outstanding (and very high-interest) loans.
    Oct 31, 2014. 01:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vapor Corp: A Fresh Look At A Hated eCigarette Stock [View article]
    Big day. Yesterday too, up 25%. Doubled in two days. To be honest, I don't know what's going on.

Googling is only turning up a host of job descriptions for retail sales positions in Florida, Maryland and Texas malls (part of VPCO executing on its retail sales strategy) and a sketchy report that Altria is in "advanced discussions" with VPCO. Considering the source, I don't buy it.

Here's an example of the job descriptions you can find through searching: http://bit.ly/1wdaPAQ
    And here's the Sierra World Equity Review (?) headline that probably explains some of the hubbub: http://bit.ly/1tdMIRp

Today gave me the opportunity to get out with a small profit. I sold a little over two-thirds of my position right at the close today at $2.85. So I still have skin in the game...but was very pleased with the opportunity to get out in the green.

VPCO borrowed $1,000,000 in September at 14%...expensive but probably delaying the need to raise cash and buying the company more time to get profitable again. And a rising stock price makes a secondary offering a more appealing option if the company needs to raise more cash. Still, there are some serious fundamental challenges ahead for the company, namely stabilizing margin, inventory and revenue issues.

What I wouldn't give for a look at real-time short interest data...feels like a massive short squeeze.
    Oct 23, 2014. 01:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IAC overhauls management, creates Match Group; shares +6.1% premarket [View news story]
    Meh, that CEO (Blatt) had 536,460 of his IAC options exercised (to the tune of $20.1 million) and was issued 750,000 new ones, IN ADDITION to new options in each of the individual brands in the new Match group.

He's not stepping down, he's been put in a place to spin these brands off and incentivized with options that become tremendously valuable if he is successful.

I think investors are happy that IAC is finally unlocking some of its value. This blurb doesn't mention it but Tinder is also in the Match group. Frankly, who knows what Tinder is worth but I think it is worth a lot.
    Apr 27, 2014. 10:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 5 Reasons Apple's Earnings Report Was Huge [View article]
    Same language I heard on the last call, more along the lines of "investments in new product categories that I'm really excited about." Analysts didn't prod him too hard because I think they wanted to ask more about the huge numbers. Gene Munster asked about Apple TV and Tim Cook saying it wasn't a hobby anymore. TC replied that it's not a hobby because of how much revenue it has generated and how many people use it but that they're investing in that too.

Nothing earth shattering in that particular area but earnings call Q&A isn't really the time for it anyways.
    Apr 24, 2014. 02:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Should Buy Tesla... On One Condition [View article]
    I thought that too, actually, about Google losing money on Motorola.

Really, Google "lost" $3.5 billion on Motorola. But for that they received patents worth an estimated $5 billion that help protect its Android empire. So, I'm guessing, Google looks at the whole thing as if they paid $3.5b for the patents.

Mar 9, 2014. 10:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Skullcandy: 8 Reasons To Buy This $8 Busted IPO [View article]
    Curious what you make of these earnings, this move lower in the stock, and potential for a pop on short covering. Plenty of very profitable short positions out there to cover...but, IMO, this stock just seems toxic.
    Mar 8, 2013. 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Mixed Report Gives Bulls Some Long-Term Hope [View article]
    This is a great article. Concise and with all the key points.

I'd only add that what I heard on the call was even more positive than what I saw in the numbers. It seems that constraints on iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Mac, and iPad mini in last quarter will result in higher than expected sales in the current quarter...even if some of those potential sales were lost to competitors during the last quarter. Tim Cook also just about denied the reports of Apple cutting supply orders...

Thanks for the good read.
    Jan 25, 2013. 08:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Apple Ahead Of This Week's Earnings Announcement [View article]
    Nice trade. I still think Apple is cheap.
    Nov 28, 2012. 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment