Jay M. Taylor

View Jay M. Taylor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Google Should Buy Tesla... On One Condition [View article]
    I thought that too, actually, about Google losing money on Motorola.

Really, Google "lost" $3.5 billion on Motorola. But for that they received patents worth an estimated $5 billion that help protect its Android empire. So, I'm guessing, Google looks at the whole thing as if they paid $3.5b for the patents.

Mar 9 10:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Skullcandy: 8 Reasons To Buy This $8 Busted IPO [View article]
    Curious what you make of these earnings, this move lower in the stock, and potential for a pop on short covering. Plenty of very profitable short positions out there to cover...but, IMO, this stock just seems toxic.
    Mar 8 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Mixed Report Gives Bulls Some Long-Term Hope [View article]
    This is a great article. Concise and with all the key points.

I'd only add that what I heard on the call was even more positive than what I saw in the numbers. It seems that constraints on iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Mac, and iPad mini in last quarter will result in higher than expected sales in the current quarter...even if some of those potential sales were lost to competitors during the last quarter. Tim Cook also just about denied the reports of Apple cutting supply orders...

Thanks for the good read.
    Jan 25 08:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Apple Ahead Of This Week's Earnings Announcement [View article]
    Nice trade. I still think Apple is cheap.
    Nov 28 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: 3 Reasons To Buy This Newly Upgraded Oil Sector Stock With A 9% Yield [View article]
    Or they are just offering market commentary.
    Nov 20 03:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Collector's Universe Mint You Some Coin? [View article]
    I've written a couple of articles on this company and what I've come to realize is that, despite promise out of Europe and Asia, they are simply not earning the dividend. No problem, I thought. They'll grow it, I thought. But now...I just don't think so.

The business has been improving, as you rightly pointed out. However it seems to me that they will have to face the music sooner or later and with a new CEO taking the helm, now seems like a very good time for the company to slash the dividend. And by "now" I mean that this may take a few quarters while the new CEO gets settled.
    Nov 9 08:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Apple Ahead Of This Week's Earnings Announcement [View article]
    Hmm...you're absolutely right. I'm not sure where the heck I grabbed that 70% figure. Fortunately, 56% ytd gain makes me even more comfortable with my recent purchases. Good catch!
    Oct 22 09:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Apple Ahead Of This Week's Earnings Announcement [View article]
    Good catch on the BAC and LNKD ratios, I submitted a correction.

I think it ultimately comes down to iPhone revenues and the potential for them to grow. This chart shows the vast potential still present in the existing mobile phone market, not to mention parts of the world that are skipping "dumbphones" and moving straight to mobile web connectivity through smartphones.

Even without ever releasing another new product, which I highly doubt will be the case, there's a lot more money to be made by this company.
    Oct 22 06:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Roth IRA Plus Dividend Growth Stocks Equals Success [View article]
    Great article all the way around. Thanks for sharing.
    Oct 16 02:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How McDonald's Could Lose Over $140M In Revenue [View article]
    After looking at this again, I have to assume the number of drinks sold is so low because it doesn't account for drinks ordered through combo orders, and only accounts for the individual drinks sold...does that sound right?

Also, it looks like your estimation of $87.6 million lost in NYC is based on all of the 2,000 meals served each day being large and thus carrying the $0.30 up-charge. I'm certain that some of those would be mediums (lower upcharge?) or smalls, the latter being unaffected by the ban.
    Sep 18 04:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How McDonald's Could Lose Over $140M In Revenue [View article]
    72 small, 94 medium, 116 large...they only sold 282 beverages the entire previous day? If that same restaurant's average meal count is 2,000 per day then I have to assume that the sales report the manager ran for you was either from a very slow day (so not the average) or not complete. If true, it would mean that only 1 in every 10 customers who purchased a "meal" purchased a drink...which seems low.

This is really interesting work, don't get me wrong. It is interesting to think of how this trend has the potential to push consumers away from the higher margin sugary drinks and into the lower margin healthier drinks. I wonder how much of that hit to revenue will be felt by the franchisees themselves versus the parent company. Do you have any insight into that? I'm not familiar with the franchise structure.
    Sep 18 04:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Collectors Universe's CEO Discusses F4Q12 Results - Earnings Call Transcript [View article]
    Yikes.
    Aug 31 12:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Split Apple [View article]
    I don't want to sound crazy here...but if you believe that a split will immediately bring in new buyers and give a big boost to Apple shares and can recognize that Apple has become such a big part of the market (both psychologically and from an index-weighting perspective) then it would certainly be in Obama's best interests to have Apple split shortly before the election. I'm not sure if he has that kind of influence but stranger things have happened.
    Aug 23 05:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Split Apple [View article]
    I personally would be highly suspicious of any company "advertising" its own stock. It makes me uncomfortable enough when I hear CEO's on conference calls or CNBC talking about how undervalued their company is. I'd rather they prove it to me through its products and financials than send me some pretty pictures or a pitch on CNBC.
    Aug 23 05:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • ITGOW Part 4: Why Own Facebook When You Can Own Google And Apple? [View article]
    Hi Brewer - Thanks for your comment and the kind message you sent me. That's a great point about search. Did these local businesses say what this money is spent on? Strictly AdWords? Thanks for reading!
    Jul 20 01:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment