Jay M. Taylor

View Jay M. Taylor's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • IAC overhauls management, creates Match Group; shares +6.1% premarket [View news story]
    Meh, that CEO (Blatt) had 536,460 of his IAC options exercised (to the tune of $20.1 million) and was issued 750,000 new ones, IN ADDITION to new options in each of the individual brands in the new Match group.

He's not stepping down, he's been put in a place to spin these brands off and incentivized with options that become tremendously valuable if he is successful.

I think investors are happy that IAC is finally unlocking some of its value. This blurb doesn't mention it but Tinder is also in the Match group. Frankly, who knows what Tinder is worth but I think it is worth a lot.
    Apr 27, 2014. 10:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Skullcandy: 8 Reasons To Buy This $8 Busted IPO [View article]
    Curious what you make of these earnings, this move lower in the stock, and potential for a pop on short covering. Plenty of very profitable short positions out there to cover...but, IMO, this stock just seems toxic.
    Mar 8, 2013. 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Apple Ahead Of This Week's Earnings Announcement [View article]
    Nice trade. I still think Apple is cheap.
    Nov 28, 2012. 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: 3 Reasons To Buy This Newly Upgraded Oil Sector Stock With A 9% Yield [View article]
    Or they are just offering market commentary.
    Nov 20, 2012. 03:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Collector's Universe Mint You Some Coin? [View article]
    I've written a couple of articles on this company and what I've come to realize is that, despite promise out of Europe and Asia, they are simply not earning the dividend. No problem, I thought. They'll grow it, I thought. But now...I just don't think so.

The business has been improving, as you rightly pointed out. However it seems to me that they will have to face the music sooner or later and with a new CEO taking the helm, now seems like a very good time for the company to slash the dividend. And by "now" I mean that this may take a few quarters while the new CEO gets settled.
    Nov 9, 2012. 08:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Apple Ahead Of This Week's Earnings Announcement [View article]
    Hmm...you're absolutely right. I'm not sure where the heck I grabbed that 70% figure. Fortunately, 56% ytd gain makes me even more comfortable with my recent purchases. Good catch!
    Oct 22, 2012. 09:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Roth IRA Plus Dividend Growth Stocks Equals Success [View article]
    Great article all the way around. Thanks for sharing.
    Oct 16, 2012. 02:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How McDonald's Could Lose Over $140M In Revenue [View article]
    After looking at this again, I have to assume the number of drinks sold is so low because it doesn't account for drinks ordered through combo orders, and only accounts for the individual drinks sold...does that sound right?

Also, it looks like your estimation of $87.6 million lost in NYC is based on all of the 2,000 meals served each day being large and thus carrying the $0.30 up-charge. I'm certain that some of those would be mediums (lower upcharge?) or smalls, the latter being unaffected by the ban.
    Sep 18, 2012. 04:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How McDonald's Could Lose Over $140M In Revenue [View article]
    72 small, 94 medium, 116 large...they only sold 282 beverages the entire previous day? If that same restaurant's average meal count is 2,000 per day then I have to assume that the sales report the manager ran for you was either from a very slow day (so not the average) or not complete. If true, it would mean that only 1 in every 10 customers who purchased a "meal" purchased a drink...which seems low.

This is really interesting work, don't get me wrong. It is interesting to think of how this trend has the potential to push consumers away from the higher margin sugary drinks and into the lower margin healthier drinks. I wonder how much of that hit to revenue will be felt by the franchisees themselves versus the parent company. Do you have any insight into that? I'm not familiar with the franchise structure.
    Sep 18, 2012. 04:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Collectors Universe's CEO Discusses F4Q12 Results - Earnings Call Transcript [View article]
    Yikes.
    Aug 31, 2012. 12:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Split Apple [View article]
    I don't want to sound crazy here...but if you believe that a split will immediately bring in new buyers and give a big boost to Apple shares and can recognize that Apple has become such a big part of the market (both psychologically and from an index-weighting perspective) then it would certainly be in Obama's best interests to have Apple split shortly before the election. I'm not sure if he has that kind of influence but stranger things have happened.
    Aug 23, 2012. 05:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Arcos Dorados: A Not So Golden Investment Opportunity [View article]
    Great insight, thanks! Obviously hard for me to have any idea what the reality is in these countries without laying eyes on these restaurants and seeing how many customers do (or do not) visit them so it is interesting to hear all of that.
    Jul 16, 2012. 07:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vale: A Promising Mining Investment Overwhelmed By Uncertainty [View article]
    Mercy actually pasted a link to this article in the comments to one that I wrote about the Sao Paulo Water and Sanitation Company (SABESP). You nail a lot of this country-risk right on the head. My answer to her was basically that I didn't think SABESP was at risk because it was hard to make the case that it was polluting or harming Brazil's resources, not to mention that it is already majority owned by the state of Sao Paulo. Would you agree with that assessment based on what you've seen/read?

Nice piece, very informative.
    Jul 16, 2012. 05:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Market Is Dining At McDonald's In July [View article]
    Great information. I got in around $87 and then wrote an article of my own explaining why. Thanks for the good read.
    Jul 13, 2012. 03:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ITGOW Part 3: SABESP, Water Utility In Brazil's Growing Market [View article]
    Great point. In fact I struggled with what to write about the dividend so I ended up taking the whole section out. SABESP's dividend has, as you said of other foreign investments, been unpredictable. I would even say "irregular."
    Here is the dividend history for the company: http://bit.ly/LfNHdN
    Here is a (now outdated) table showing historical yield:
    If you're looking for regular and stable dividends, AWK is definitely your choice of the two and is why I will likely add it not only to my ITGOW series but also to my portfolio when the time is right. Plus, the American water infrastructure is old and crumbling. In typical US fashion, we will defer these needed investments until the absolute last minute...but that should come soon and AWK should do well in the next 10-20 years.
    In terms of yield, my Google Finance screen tells me $2.96/share with a yield of 7.26% for SBS. I don't really believe that high number but I do think it is higher (though less predictable) than AWK's 2.87%.
    Thanks for reading!