Jean-Christophe Larsimont

View Jean-Christophe Larsimont's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Johnson & Johnson's Invokana: Be Careful [View article]
    Thanks for your comment Rosilyn. I agree that, as you mentioned, a part of diabetic patients suffers from a condition that can't be treated by exercising. However, a large part of them neglects exercise while it's the number 1 "drug" with an adaptated diet. I also would like to clarify the following point : in your comment, you said "since diabetes also increases one's risk of stroke, and by the way, also increases the risk of genital mycotic (fungus and yeast) infections.". However, the comparison was done between two groups of diabetic patients, one was given Invokana and the other recieved control. Therefore, the increase in cases is not due to diabetes but rather to Invokana. And this is expected regarding Invokana's mechanism of action.
    But indeed, the balance between pros and cons is still to be clarified, probably the reason why FDA ask for postmark studies
    Apr 2, 2013. 01:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson's Invokana: Be Careful [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. Indeed you got the point, a big part of the problem is about people's behaviour.
    It's even mentioned by FDA : "The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Invokana (canagliflozin) tablets, USED WITH DIET AND EXERCISE".
    Apr 2, 2013. 10:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson's Invokana: Be Careful [View article]
    Hi Papaswamp,
    Thanks for you comment. Indeed I didn't write an exhaustive list of the market because it is not the object of the current article. The focus was about the threat over Invokana regarding its safety, and the market is not responsible for that, reason why I did not analyzed the market in depth.
    For such an analysis, please read this article by Peter Geschek :

Apr 2, 2013. 02:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson's New Diabetes Drug And Its Competitors [View article]
    Great article, it really helps to understand the market.

I've just published an article regarding biological concerns of the drug, I think it can be usefull to read it as well if anyone is seriously thinking about buying JNJ based on this drug :

Apr 1, 2013. 05:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson's Invokana: Be Careful [View article]
    Hi Northern fellow.

Indeed I really think that JNJ is a strong company with diversified products as you said. However, not everybody is clever as you are and I think there were some issues with the drug, a large number of (stupid) investors would panic and make the stock go down, reason why I wanted to warn about that possibility.
    But you made a really good point that I should have mentioned in the article.
    Apr 1, 2013. 02:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pfizer's Next Big Deal Will Generate Income For Novartis, Prevent Competitors' Initiative [View article]
    First, I would like to thank you for sharing your opinion with us and for opening an interesting debate. You raised here a crucial point. However, it results from a misunderstanding of the article itself. First of all, I did not mention any significant increase in Femara sales. I only pinpointed reasons why Femara’s sales will increase (in my opinion), without any indication about the magnitude of such an increase. Second, the most critical point isn’t really about the increase but rather about the cover provided by Pfizer’s drug which will be used in combination with Femara and will probably prevent Femara sales to drop to 0 due to a newer and more efficient treatment. Third, Novartis’ patent expired two years ago and generic drugs have already taken the majority of their market shares. Assuming that Femara’s sales now represent 30% of the market, the increase due to the natural increase in breast cancer cases and to the increase survival time of the patients will still apply, therefore increase the sales of Femara, no matter the generic drugs. In addition to that, Novartis gets its own generic drug through Sandoz and is therefore less affected than what it looks. Note that this generic will also undergo an increase in sales, again for the reasons mentioned in the article.
    Mar 30, 2013. 02:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I totally agree with your point. The pharma industry is probably the business that rises the biggest amount of ethical concerns, especially because it directly affects human beings. However, I’m pretty sure you can easily find a lot of example that rise ethical question in other markets (e.g. electronic, sportswear, etc) but that are less exposed to people critics simply because they affect human beings in a more indirect way. When it comes to money, everybody has to think about what his money will serve to and where he’ll receive his benefits from. The aim of the article is just to describe available possibilities and one should evaluate his ethical principles before buying. I made mine and I’m pretty sure you can infer it from my disclosure.
    But thank you for raising that point, it was irrelevant in my article but needed to be discussed. Comments are the appropriate place to do so.
    Mar 29, 2013. 01:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment