Jean-Christophe Larsimont

View Jean-Christophe Larsimont's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Carving Up The World Smart Device Market Shows Opportunity For BlackBerry And Nokia [View article]
    Great article Michael, as you usual. You already know about my position but your article made me think about buying some NOK.
    Jun 13 03:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 Outsells iPhone 5 And Galaxy S4 In France [View article]
    Marcap, why do you ignore what people say?
    If you had a look at the link I've provided in a previous comment (http://bit.ly/1750BWo), you would have seen that Kantar reported that from Q4 2011 to Q4 2012 in France : iOS progressed very slowly (+2%), Android sales exploded (+12%), RIM died (-8%) and Windows Phone progressed a bit (+0,5%). Now, have a look at what happens worldwide during the same period with the website you provided : http://bit.ly/11ApPrM
    Exactly the same trend : iOS progressed very slowly (around 2% also), Android sales exploded (+12%), RIM died (-4%) and no data about Windows phone (using Nokia as you did as totaly flawed sinced it also take Symbian into account) but we all know that WP progressed a bit worldwide during this period.
    So the fact is that France follows the same trends than the rest of the world, your website is just not accurate enough for single country data and it needs deeper research. And as I live here, I can further confirm you that indeed, Apple progressed slowly, you can see Android phones all around, Windows Phones progressed and that before the Z10 and the Q10, it was rare to see a BBRY.
    Jun 9 04:56 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 Outsells iPhone 5 And Galaxy S4 In France [View article]
    Marcap, your comment is totally wrong. Could you please compare the trends in mobile OS market shares in France VS World and tell me, with numbers, if you still have this opinion?
    Jun 8 12:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    MajorDude,

You still don't get it. France is relevant not as a determiner of trends, but as a followers. Therefore, by looking at trends in France, you can have an idea about how it might be elsewhere.
    Jun 8 10:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi HSV,

Regarding point 1, I asked SFR again for more information regarding the way they rank the best selling phones. This time I got no answer. So basically I have still no clue about the time frame.

About point 2, we don't really know the margins that both Apple and BBRY obtain from sales at SFR so it's quite hard to answer that. But keep in mind that BBRY was in green at Q4 2012 without the BB10s. So to me, despite the bias present in this article, BB10 are a success and will massively contribute to BBRY's revenues. I don't think comparing BBRY to Apple is somehow relevant for the moment. They're very different companies and although they partially occupy the same market, it doesn't make sense to compare them (at least for the moment) except a comparison with iPhone.
    Regarding point 3, I really have no idea since I live in Belgium, not in France. Sorry about that.

Thanks for you comment!

JC
    Jun 1 08:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 Outsells iPhone 5 And Galaxy S4 In France [View article]
    Totally understand your points.
    Tried again to obtain more information from SFR about that but no answer so far. I think it's rather hopeless. What is funny is that the ranking just changed today (kind of weird uh?). Even with that change, it's still selling better than Xperia Z and iPhone 5 so I'm rather happy about the prediction.
    We will have a factual report on Q2 in about 4 months, can't wait to know whether I was right or not.
    May 30 01:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi,

I'm not sure I correctly understood your point but here's my answer :

Although not physical, the keyboard of the iPhone can be set up as AZERTY. It's therefore not related.

JC
    May 30 01:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 Outsells iPhone 5 And Galaxy S4 In France [View article]
    How do you know that SFR changed the ranking based on that ?
    Second, your comment is wrong. Even if the S4 and the HTC One were to sell more than Q10, Q10 is still ahead of iPhone 5. And Q10 is still ahead of Xperia Z and iPhone 5. Therefore, saying that the WHOLE promise of this article is defunct doesn't make sense.
    May 30 11:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 Outsells iPhone 5 And Galaxy S4 In France [View article]
    I think there's a word for it. It should be called "Plagia" or something.
    May 29 05:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 Outsells iPhone 5 And Galaxy S4 In France [View article]
    Thanks Greg! Can't wait to read your next article!
    May 29 05:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 Outsells iPhone 5 And Galaxy S4 In France [View article]
    Don't you think that shorts on TSLA were mainly professionals too ? I guess that at least a part of them was, but they were wrong anyway. Don't you think that there are a lot of professional that are long BBRY? I guess yes and if so, could you tell me why they would be wrong about BBRY while the short would be ?
    May 29 03:30 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 Outsells iPhone 5 And Galaxy S4 In France [View article]
    Where did you see anyone that I mentioned that it wasn't an important fact ? Regarding the fact that I couldn't give you an answer, do you really think that the woman at the customer service is going to conduct intense research to find who wrote the code that rank the smartphones based on sales for me or you? I don't. Do you think that if I had the actual numbers, I wouldn't have gave it to you? I wrote this article to avoid biased analyses which are made by people who barely call some stores that they especially picked with no precise reason and who makes claims based on the subjective impressions of sellers who agreed to answer gave them. While there are still some bias in this metholody such as the ones described in other comments, this is so far the only study to adress the problem with facts and not impression. I agree that the time frame is important, but it doesn't mean that we can't extract some information out of it. A lot of people are saying that Q10 and Z10 are total flop. Here, you can easily understand that it's not the case, whatever the time frame is since the Z10 was launched a while ago and isn't subject to "launch effect".
    May 29 03:18 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 Outsells iPhone 5 And Galaxy S4 In France [View article]
    Thanks Michael, really appreciate your work!
    May 29 02:15 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 Outsells iPhone 5 And Galaxy S4 In France [View article]
    I really would like the see your proof that Blackberry Q10 and Z10 are indeed a total flop.
    Your second paragraph results from a lack of understanding of the smartphone market. Although we don't know the timeframe of SFR ranking, we know that it's about a short time (a few weeks or a few monthes probably). When looking at the market shares to understand the sales of Q10 and Z10, you're looking at the changes that the sales of two new smartphones are making on the market shares and even if the sales are good, you won't see a real clear impact among the million of phones that are already present on the market. This analysis is only relevant over extended period of time.
    May 29 12:26 PM | 21 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q10 Outsells iPhone 5 And Galaxy S4 In France [View article]
    I contacted them but couldn't obtain an answer. Sorry about that.
    May 29 12:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment