Jeff Miller

View Jeff Miller's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Is The Fed Behind The Curve? [View article]
    daro -- sorry I was not clearer on the timing statement. The big three to monitor?

Housing, capex, increase in M2. Probably grist for a new post.

Your comment on real estate and rates is spot on -- something we should watch.

Jun 22 07:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Is The Fed Behind The Curve? [View article]
    Nolesince87 -- It is usually a waste of time to discuss stuff like this with anonymous folks who write comments, but you have joined in for a number of years. I'll give it one try.

You are offering up your personal recollections about an entire body of work, over 1000 articles spanning about nine years. It is not a fair characterization. Your comments about the market (at least the ones you make on my articles) have been far off. You called a market top a year ago, for example.

It is OK to make a wrong call, but not OK to talk about motives. The last time you did this you suggested that I was one who benefited from the Fed and that made me a perma-bull. In fact, I manage five different programs. The long-only part of my overall portfolio is much smaller than the bonds, enhanced yield, and trading segments. A sideways market, or even gentle downside, would actually be best for me personally.

Investment managers are not stock salesmen. We benefit only if we help clients find suitable programs and take risk of the right size. Since 2008 there has been greater interest in market timing. I developed the recession forecasting theme and also the SLFSI to address those concerns. I will react to those indicators when needed -- and both would have worked well in 2008.

My sense is that you blame too much on the Fed and I think the lesson is more nuanced. In 2008, I wrote a lot about FAS 157 and toxic assets, what Obama should do, etc. If we sat down with a cup of coffee or a refreshing malt beverage we might enjoy trading some stories.

Meanwhile, the kind of comment you are making is unfair and inappropriate. Go back and look at what you wrote when I did the "halfway update" on my Dow 20K prediction.....

That's all I'm going to say in the comments.

Jun 22 05:37 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Is The Fed Behind The Curve? [View article]
    Stevo56 -- Their website provides more history and discussion of methodology. The index was created after the Great Recession, so we did not have it available in real time. It does not anticipate economic or market events as well as the recession indicators I follow, but it does highlight risk of other sorts. These risks show up in credit markets.

At one point we did some research and decided that 1.1 was an important level to start getting concerned. It has reached that range once in the real-time history of the indicator, and then it pulled back.

Having an objective risk measure makes it easier to make unemotional decisions.

And I'm glad you enjoyed the article, but most don't want to revisit those econ classes!

Jun 22 04:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Is The Fed Behind The Curve? [View article]
    Cautious Investor -- The question of possible structural employment change among the long-term unemployed is certainly crucial. You correctly note the internal debate.

Usually this means that both sides are partly right. Some unemployed leave the labor force for good. Others might be coaxed back if things got attractive. Until we see some wage pressure, it seems premature to get too worried about this.

Good points -- as always.

Jun 22 04:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Is The Fed Behind The Curve? [View article]
    daro - It is just a personal estimate of how fast various indicators might change. And I mean more normal levels of rates. The first increase and plenty of balance sheet unwinding will come before the end of 2015. We'll get to enjoy another year of warnings about that as well.

What do you think?

Jun 22 04:43 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: What Does The Iraq Conflict Mean For Markets? [View article]
    moatfrog -- I know that you understand what I do in the weekly perspective post. WTWA is a snapshot of what is happening as of Saturday night. I cannot do breaking news, but I can highlight what to watch and the best sources.

As I noted, the worst case sends oil up about $20.

To summarize, I think we all share the concern and the need to monitor, which is why I chose it as this week's theme.

As always, thanks for joining in.

Jun 16 09:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    suew -- I have written some, but there is another "Jeff Miller" who is quite visible for his bridge writing.

Say "hello" if we are ever at the same tournament:)

Jun 16 02:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Whoops! Thanks for noting. This is probably about as bad as the caddy that let his golfer hit the wrong ball!

Jun 15 11:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Time For A Market Breakout? [View article]
    daro -- Thanks for amplifying.

Jun 10 08:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Time For A Market Breakout? [View article]
    Daro -- Your reaction mirrors what most people said a couple of weeks ago when the Zillow report came out on a slow news day. You are apparently in good company and I have the minority view -- a typical stance for me.

This is not an either/or question. Like most economic problems, it is a distribution. Of course there are still people who cannot or will not sell. The problem is better -- much better-- than it was before, and things are still improving.

As you know, I recommend an approach to investing that embraces problems as long as we can measure improvement. If you wait until it is solved to everyone's satisfaction, it will be fully priced into the market.

I am not long homebuilder stocks, but the economic drag from this sector has been reduced.

At what level of underwater homes would your opinion change?

Jun 9 10:17 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Time For A Market Breakout? [View article]
    Thanks to everyone who is commenting. I love to see a vibrant discussion.

It is a lot of work to pull the threads together with all of the links, so I appreciate those who enjoy and provide feedback. It is nice to know that the effort is helpful for some investors.

Jun 8 09:30 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advice For Young Investors [View article]
    bherber -- As I noted in the post, investing in index funds is fine. It might be better for those who can simply develop the habit as part of a savings plan. My idea about individual stocks is that it is more interesting and more likely to spark a lifelong habit, but I can't prove that.

Maybe I'll modify this a little on the resource page. I know that most experts disagree.

Thanks,

Jun 7 12:00 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advice For Young Investors [View article]
    Thanks to everyone for helpful comments and suggestions. I am reading and taking note. My hope is to make this an ongoing reference page.

Jun 6 08:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: More Clarity From The Market Message? [View article]
    Tom -- Thanks. I always welcome spirited discussion in the comments, but it is good if people read carefully and check out the links first.

Early on I learned that if you are saying something important, some will disagree. If you run a short-selling fund you can even afford to assign some people to comment.

Thanks for the encouragement. It is always nice to know that readers find the information helpful.

Jun 1 12:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: More Clarity From The Market Message? [View article]
    RJKRJK -- You ask for six months of data. If you follow the link I provided, you will see that Kasriel actually analyzed a full year of data, reaching the same conclusion. His statement about how the media treat the participation rate is accurate. The alarmist statement is the one featured every month saying that 90 million people are not in the labor force -- ignoring homemakers, retirees, students, etc. who make up nearly all of this group.

In my weekly posts I try to capture the idea presented and then provide a lot of very good links. Getting the links right is tricky and time-consuming, but it will often be time well spent.

I am especially careful when giving the Silver Bullet...

I hope this clarifies.