Jeff Miller

View Jeff Miller's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: The Market Message For The Fed [View article]
    foxgary --- Exactly. That is what I meant.

thanks,

Jun 14, 2015. 10:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Time For A Consumer Rebound? [View article]
    B. Gibbs -- The boomers wanted to watch instead of reading. Now everyone is in a hurry. My own (formerly) resident Millennial watched both Comedy Central and Fox News, trying for different perspectives.

The candidates have learned to use these venues. I am sure you are not surprised to learn that a former professor thinks that people should read!

I really appreciate your informative contribution.

Jun 9, 2015. 04:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Time For A Consumer Rebound? [View article]
    DylanW -- For most investors, watching investment news closely and frequently is not necessary and may even lead them astray! I say this even though I write weekly:)

You want investments that are inexpensive and also suited to current trends. This usually means an unloved stock, where most people are not recognizing the trend.

Good examples would be those affected by rising interest rates: Utilities - bad; banks -- good.

Please keep reading. I am trying to include material for people just like you.

Jun 9, 2015. 04:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About Risk [View article]
    Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and all of the great comments. The strong suggestions and viewpoints will make the results more valuable for everyone.

Jun 3, 2015. 08:40 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About Risk [View article]
    crademan -- Thanks for the suggestion. I have some ideas along that line, but maybe I'll add more.

Jun 3, 2015. 08:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About Risk [View article]
    DAG Investments --

I am trying to do something that people will find helpful and useful, and I appreciate any links.

Thanks,

Jun 3, 2015. 11:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About Risk [View article]
    frogmaier -- So true. Overbetting your bankroll is a key mistake of those who are good at odds but not money management.

Good advice, which I hope I clearly support in this series.

Jun 3, 2015. 11:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About Risk [View article]
    Moon Kil Woong -- Rarely have I seen something that packs as many questionable conclusions into as few words as you have done with your comment!

You do not know the market risk nor what people are assuming. You certainly do not know the motives of investment advisors -- especially those who succeed only by getting it right.

And the "play with your money" statement is really loaded. What is your mission?

Jun 3, 2015. 10:59 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About Risk [View article]
    hawkeyec ---Interesting examples.

Thanks,

Jun 3, 2015. 10:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Will Job Gains Signal An Economic Rebound? [View article]
    Reel Ken --

Is this the research you mean? http://bit.ly/1I1My6P

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jun 1, 2015. 12:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rob -- Each week I make decisions about which events to mention. I always welcome comments about important items that someone thinks I missed.

As to the "tin foil" idea -- heh heh -- you are obviously a new reader. I have frequently written about Chicago's situation in the past. Living in a Chicago suburb, I follow this very closely. There are many interesting aspects, but I am not sure the Moody's decision changes anything much. Do you think this is a national story?

Thanks for joining in. If you read more, I believe and hope that you will see my attempt for balance in finding facts.

Jun 1, 2015. 12:06 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Will The Interest Rate Spike Pressure Stock Prices? [View article]
    True! The costs of student loans are immediate and the payoff is deferred.

May 17, 2015. 11:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    GaltMachine - I cannot cite a source so you are free to fear the worst!

I do deal with people in the business -- both brokers an funds -- so I have some idea of what can get done. The leverage is not like the 1998 days and the margin calls are tighter.

May 17, 2015. 11:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Geoffrey -- Of course. If you follow the links on my section where I set this up, you will see discussion about Germany.

Bill Gross said it was a great short, but it turns out to be difficult to do in practice.

You are correct in noting that, whatever the reason, the US rates seem to be linked to Europe. I offered one theory in the conclusion.

May 17, 2015. 08:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Teutonic Knight -- We should all be watching Greece, but it is not as significant for the overall financial system as it was before. I am not convinced that the overall "PIIGS" theory makes sense, but I do try to report this whenever there are developments.

Thanks for keeping this in mind.

May 17, 2015. 08:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment